Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why is the issue with electronic devices being on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is the issue with electronic devices being on?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flight Mechanic
There are some very strict rules and a lot of testing before a component or sub-system can be added to an aircraft avionics package.

The biggest issue is that the use of consumer electronic devices has not been tested to ensure non-interferance with the aircraft installed avionics systems. These systems very with each aircraft and have to be confirmed even within each operator.

Guess we should blame Blackberry (Insert appropiate vendor here) for not paying for the appropiate testing that their devices do not interfere with a specific carrier / aircraft model avionics configuration.

Flight Mechanic
Exactly. The FAA takes a prove-it-safe approach to electronics. Consumer electronics aren't proven safe.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanh
Not being able to use your cell phone is probably more of an inconvenience, but there's reason to believe that phones in flight will interfere with the operation of the ground network because they can "see" more cells than the system was designed for. Flights that allow cell phones have their own cell site, so the phone isn't trying to connect to the ground stations.
Yeah--because of the cell site problem the use of a cell phone in flight (other than on those planes specifically equipped for it) should be illegal under FCC rules--if you're transmitting you're expected not to unduly affect others. Using a cell phone from high above a city messes with the network and therefore does affect other users of the system.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
The airline could fine people who are walking around when the seatbelt sign is on too. Or getting up too soon to get something out of the overhead bin. Or not putting the seat in the upright position. They're all for your safety. Do you really want fines for everything?
Hey, I follow the rules so I have nothing to worry about. If I do not wear my seatbelt in a car, I can get a ticket. Why not on a plane?

Again, my point is.. Rules are useless unless they are enforced.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, 1.5MM, GE
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy

Again, my point is.. Rules are useless unless they are enforced.
This has been my whine all along... Rare is the flight when I don't see someone blatantly ignoring the electronic devices rule with their phone/computer/ipod and that is regardless of class of service, airline or time of day. Only once has a FA said anything to the offender and that was as we were on the taxi way about to make the turn to take off!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Exactly. The FAA takes a prove-it-safe approach to electronics. Consumer electronics aren't proven safe.
And they're not proven unsafe either!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by mdb
What is the rule for - - meaning why does it exist?
Mainly because of this attitude, from the Wikipedia page:

The regulatory agencies and aviation industry take the position that any increased risk is unacceptable if it is avoidable.
This is, of course, not true - all risk can be avoided simply by not allowing the airplanes to take off.

About having other (besides phones) devices turned off so that people pay attention to safety announcements, that's also why you're not allowed to sleep during taxi, takeoff, or landing.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Continental PE
Originally Posted by avidflyer
For non transmitting devices it is strictly to ensure attention to the announcements.
Not necessarily. Anything that uses electricity generates electrical noise. Although it's unlikely, it has happened. My laptop (no wireless) used to interfere with the radios in my aircraft -- most likely the hard drive.

SR
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:36 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Flight Mechanic
Guess we should blame Blackberry (Insert appropiate vendor here) for not paying for the appropiate testing that their devices do not interfere with a specific carrier / aircraft model avionics configuration.
If cell phones, etc. can interfere with avionics, we should blame Boeing, Airbus, the airlines, etc. for manufacturing/operating aircraft that are unsafe in the presence of devices that will most certainly be active during takeoff & landing.

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
The other issue people are missing is this: during take-off and landing people need to be more attentive in case emergencies happen. If the plane blows a tire or aborts take off or landing people need to be able to brace themselves for any emergency maneuvers.

I've been on flights with aborted landings and let me tell you I'm glad I was paying attention as the plane jerked rather hard.
Nonsense (or perhaps only in a world where rule makers make rules logically). Otherwise sleeping or reading the airlines' magazines, books, etc. would be prohibited.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Persepolis
that's also why you're not allowed to sleep during taxi, takeoff, or landing.
I do that all the time (or at least give the appearance of it). No one has ever said anything to me about it.

Electronics are prohibited at certain times because it is possible that they can interfere with the aircraft's systems. Taxi, takeoff, landing, and operations below 10,000 feet are considered "sterile" by the FAA and only certain things (electronics, seatbelts, conversation in the cockpit, etc.) are allowed during these phases of flight.

Anything that uses electricity generates radio noise. Even "non-transmitting" devices generate radio noise.

SR
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by srilm
I do that all the time (or at least give the appearance of it). No one has ever said anything to me about it.
No doubt. There was a heavy coating of irony on that statement.

Originally Posted by srilm
Anything that uses electricity generates radio noise. Even "non-transmitting" devices generate radio noise.
Including humans!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Persepolis
No doubt. There was a heavy coating of irony on that statement.

Including humans!
That's true! One of my projects in high school was to send a perceptible signal using a wristwatch battery. It can be done. Even a brain cell sends out radio noise. It's just a matter of what we're prepared to accept.

SR
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:45 pm
Suspended

The question was specifically NOT about cell phones but other electronic devices like iPODs.
Really? Can you tell the difference? Should we have every FA on the flight taking inventory of what is an iPhone vs what is an iPod Touch, iPad wifi vs. iPad 3G, etc. What happens when someone has a thin radio device? Are they going to easily be able to catch that?

Most crashed happen on takeoff and approach to landing. That is, the planes were below 10k feet. The FAA's goal is to minimize any variables that people have to deal with. That includes doing all they can to make sure any electronics that could cause a problem are turned off and people are paying attention.

Nonsense (or perhaps only in a world where rule makers make rules logically). Otherwise sleeping or reading the airlines' magazines, books, etc. would be prohibited.
I can guarantee you that people are a lot more attentive when they're reading the magazine in the seat back pocket than they are when watching a movie with noise canceling headphones. The people who make the rules have thought things out pretty well. There's a reason why travel in the air is safer than your ride to the airport. Just because you don't like the rule doesn't make it nonsense.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:07 am

I am pretty sure out of 100 or 200 passengers, there a couple of souls with their mobile phone on. I guess this is the case for most flights...and guess what...nothing bad happens. I don't think there's a documented evidence that a mobile phone signal can interfere with aircraft own signal that it will make it crash or something to that effect.

Having said that, if its the rule then eevryone should follow it...but come to think of it..if its really that bad then they should make a point for each pasenger to turn off their phones before even boarding the plane.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Takire
Having said that, if its the rule then eevryone should follow it...but come to think of it..if its really that bad then they should make a point for each pasenger to turn off their phones before even boarding the plane.
I'm with others who said it's about attentiveness (i.e. not being distracted by an iPod etc). That said, you can read a book...

The problem with some modern devices is that you can't necessarily turn them off anyway. The new iPod Nano doesn't appear to have a proper "off" option, only standby, and as you can't remove the battery the only way to turn it *off* is to run the battery down.

Neil
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:02 pm
Original Member

The odds that someone will be killed or injured because he did not pay attention to a safety announcement because he was using an electronic device are astronomical. It's probably never happened.

QL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.