Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why is the issue with electronic devices being on?

Why is the issue with electronic devices being on?

Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanh
From 1967-1991 (24 years!), there were no 737 crashes related to PCU rudder valves. Therefore, it's impossible for it to happen, correct?

Of course, UA 585 happened in 1991 and US 427 in 1994, and it turns out that there was a latent defect that under certain rare conditions, cause a rudder hardover that would make the aircraft impossible to keep in the air.

So, should it have been fixed, or is that simply too rare a circumstance to do anything about?
This is not analogous to the issue of PED's. There is clear evidence that can be lab tested and investigated regarding the valve, and the pilot training associated with how the airplane is flown. With PED's we have literally had 100's of millions of flights with NO EVIDENCE of any impact. None. There are far more data points regarding the safe operation of PED's on board commercial airliners than there is evidence of crashes for any other reason.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:08 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by golfdude42501
Indeed, in flight terms, this is called "situational awareness". Leaving the window shades open, no devices turned on and having watched the safety video or presentation is to prepare each passenger for emergency situations that can occur during take-offs or landings.
Pax are allowed to sleep during takeoff and landing. Unconscious people tend to have very low situational awareness.

Originally Posted by pacer142
They are allowed in those situations in the UK now and have been for ages, certainly on easyJet. I've even been on a flight where they were allowed once the aircraft had left the runway to taxi to the terminal - might have been KLM, but I'm not sure.
Every domestic flight in the US that I can recall has been this way (cell phones only though).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.