Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why is the issue with electronic devices being on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is the issue with electronic devices being on?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
And of course, the majority of in-flight emergencies occur during takeoff and landing, which is why it's prudent for pax to shut off their PEDs, put away their books, secure their carp, and pay attention for the few minutes it takes to get airborn or safely on the ground.
The difference being, that if I'm using my Kindle, I'm told I must put it away. The guy sitting next to me with a 4 pound hardcover, which is a far more dangerous projectile than my Kindle, isn't told anything. Maybe the FA's will kindly ask for everyone to put away their books during the safety briefing, but I've never been on a flight where that was mandated and checked.

If projectiles are a danger, then all projectiles are a danger, not just the electronic ones.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by whitearrow
The difference being, that if I'm using my Kindle, I'm told I must put it away. The guy sitting next to me with a 4 pound hardcover, which is a far more dangerous projectile than my Kindle, isn't told anything. Maybe the FA's will kindly ask for everyone to put away their books during the safety briefing, but I've never been on a flight where that was mandated and checked.

If projectiles are a danger, then all projectiles are a danger, not just the electronic ones.
Don't the pre-flight announcements say, "Please secure all loose items and turn off all electronic devices", or words to that effect?

I agree with you - the hardcover is as dangerous as a laptop or a Kindle.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't the pre-flight announcements say, "Please secure all loose items and turn off all electronic devices", or words to that effect?

I agree with you - the hardcover is as dangerous as a laptop or a Kindle.
Or a lap child, maybe we should ban them as well, since they can't be "stowed for take off and landing".

Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Or a lap child, maybe we should ban them as well, since they can't be "stowed for take off and landing".

That has always been my position. The very concept of lap children is outrageously dangerous.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:17 pm

I've never heard the loose items part, nor have I ever seen anyone be told to put away a book, binder, or anything similarly non-electronic.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:15 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by srilm
But rather than "better safe than sorry" I'm thinking more along the lines of "if you can't be off your cellphone for 15 minutes, you probably think you're way more important than you really are." If being off the cell or laptop for 15 minutes is too much, then you probably shouldn't be flying at all, since that means you're off the cell for at least a couple of hours. The benefit of using the device is negligible compared to the potential risk, even though that is also fairly low.

I do work in a safety-critical position with a USA security clearance, fly a lot, and am on call 24 hours a day. But I turn my stuff off when the time comes. If you have an inkling of time management skills, it's really not that difficult.

SR
I'm not sure I see your logic. Not flying at all would be impossible for my business, while being offline is simply undesirable. We went through this in another thread...of course 15 minutes extra downtime isn't the end of the world, but it's undesirable and I don't want to do it for no reason. Onboard WiFi has made flying much more productive for me. I have virtually no work to do that doesn't involve my computer, so time management doesn't enter into it. I realize most people aren't in this position, but it's somewhat presumptuous of you to imply that I'm being overly self-important just because I am clear about my priorities.

QL
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:25 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
That has always been my position. The very concept of lap children is outrageously dangerous.
Except that not allowing lap children would be far more dangerous. Safety cannot be considered in bits and pieces; a failure to look at the big picture can lead to deadly "safety" improvements (in this case banning lap children would make more parents drive, which is far more dangerous).

For example:
Originally Posted by whitearrow
I've never heard the loose items part, nor have I ever seen anyone be told to put away a book, binder, or anything similarly non-electronic.
Perhaps the ban leads to more people read hardcover books during takeoff and landing (vs. using lighter devices like iPods), thus presenting a greater risk from projectiles. Perhaps the ban makes more people leave their seats after takeoff and before landing (to retrieve and store their electronic devices), thus increasing the risk of injuries to unbelted passengers from turbulence, bags falling from overhead bins, etc.

These may or may not be true, but they are the kind of side-effects that can result from failing to consider the big picture.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
Except that not allowing lap children would be far more dangerous. Safety cannot be considered in bits and pieces; a failure to look at the big picture can lead to deadly "safety" improvements (in this case banning lap children would make more parents drive, which is far more dangerous).
Perhaps, but airlines are not social engineers whose policies and procedures are designed to make the entire world a safer place for children; they are air transportation providers whose purpose is to provide the safest carriage from point A to point B while maximizing ROI for their investors. How many children may be killed in car crashes has no bearing on airline policies, and no airline will, or should, make a value jugement that it's perfectly okay to endanger the health and safety of pax in the air to offset a POSSIBLE, hypothetical danger on the ground.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:17 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Perhaps, but airlines are not social engineers whose policies and procedures are designed to make the entire world a safer place for children; they are air transportation providers whose purpose is to provide the safest carriage from point A to point B while maximizing ROI for their investors. How many children may be killed in car crashes has no bearing on airline policies, and no airline will, or should, make a value jugement that it's perfectly okay to endanger the health and safety of pax in the air to offset a POSSIBLE, hypothetical danger on the ground.
I might agree, except, AFAIK it's not the airlines that are making that decision (for domestic US travel), it's the FAA. I'm glad the FAA* thinks that decisions resulting in fewer dead children are better than decisions resulting more dead children (but fewer killed in aircraft).

The dangers posed by road travel are more POSSIBLE and no more hypothetical than the dangers facing lap children.

*: Unlike the TSA, but that's for another forum.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
no airline will, or should, make a value jugement that it's perfectly okay to endanger the health and safety of pax in the air to offset a POSSIBLE, hypothetical danger on the ground.
No, but any legislation on health and safety *absolutely should* consider the whole system.

The TSA is a good example. If the TSA cause sufficient people to drive rather than fly by way of overzealous security, that security might actually reduce overall safety of transportation.

Neil
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:48 am

Interestingly, Japan finally realized that cell phones and other electronic equipment have no effect on the airplane equipment while the plane is parked.

http://www.asahi.com/national/update...101250413.html
国交省が独立行政法人に委託した調査で、航空機が止まっている間は機器に支障がないと確認できたため、今後 は離陸前の搭乗してからドアが閉まるまでと、着陸後にドアが開いてから降りるまでの使用を認める。ドアが閉 まっている間はこれまでと同じく携帯電話は電源を切り、パソコンなどは通信しないよう求める。
Rough translation below:
In a survey commissioned by an independent administrative agency by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, it was confirmed that [use of cell phones and email] are not detrimental to the plane equipment while the airplane is parked. Because of this, usage of cell phones will be allowed while passengers are boarding until the plane doors are closed, as well as after the plane doors open after landing. However, when the plane doors are closed, in the same way as it is now, cell phones should be turned off and transmitting functions of computers should not be used.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by KIXman
Because of this, usage of cell phones will be allowed while passengers are boarding until the plane doors are closed, as well as after the plane doors open after landing. However, when the plane doors are closed, in the same way as it is now, cell phones should be turned off and transmitting functions of computers should not be used.
They are allowed in those situations in the UK now and have been for ages, certainly on easyJet. I've even been on a flight where they were allowed once the aircraft had left the runway to taxi to the terminal - might have been KLM, but I'm not sure.

easyJet normally say you then have to turn it off when you disembark to when you enter the terminal, but this is completely unenforced.

Neil

Last edited by pacer142; Jan 25, 2011 at 10:13 am Reason: No actual edit, but I just realised I might have pointed out the obvious...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat-E, Hilton Dia, Hertz
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
The other issue people are missing is this: during take-off and landing people need to be more attentive in case emergencies happen. If the plane blows a tire or aborts take off or landing people need to be able to brace themselves for any emergency maneuvers.

I've been on flights with aborted landings and let me tell you I'm glad I was paying attention as the plane jerked rather hard.
The other issue people are missing is this: during take-off and landing people need to be more attentive in case emergencies happen. If the plane blows a tire or aborts take off or landing people need to be able to brace themselves for any emergency maneuvers.
Indeed, in flight terms, this is called "situational awareness". Leaving the window shades open, no devices turned on and having watched the safety video or presentation is to prepare each passenger for emergency situations that can occur during take-offs or landings.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:09 am
Original Member

I just can't fathom the mentality that can say with a straight face that listening to the safety announcement for the nth time will have any effect whatsoever on anyone's safety.

QL
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:29 pm

From 1967-1991 (24 years!), there were no 737 crashes related to PCU rudder valves. Therefore, it's impossible for it to happen, correct?

Of course, UA 585 happened in 1991 and US 427 in 1994, and it turns out that there was a latent defect that under certain rare conditions, cause a rudder hardover that would make the aircraft impossible to keep in the air.

So, should it have been fixed, or is that simply too rare a circumstance to do anything about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.