Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here excited for WP7?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JClishe
He also said that the staff at the AT&T store had been doing a bunch of performance tests with the Focus and the iPhone 4 side by side, and the Focus was faster for most functions.
Sure it may be faster, but is it more user-friendly?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
I got my Focus in today. I'm pretty impressed, and think while there are lots of features that are missing, this is a very good foundation. There are no missing features that are real deal breakers for me now, but I'm going to keep my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone around if I need to do bluetooth tethering. If Microsoft can't ramp up some things in the next 8 months, then I'll probably move to greener pastures. Some things that I'd like to have:
*Exchange task syncing
*VPN
*Tethering
*Enough control of the file system to store certificates

My biggest complaint is that if your Exchange server pushes a security policy that requires a device password, you will have to put this password in every time the screen turns off. In WM6.5 you could up that to an hour while keeping the screen time out at 30 seconds.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Now if you want to sync your contacts from your email with Facebook then you'll probably love the fact that this will do it for you. Sadly there appears to be no way to sort contacts other than A-Z and when you sync with Facebook, everyone gets imported into the phonebook (contacts). So if you have 600 FB friends you are going to have all of them in your phonebook initially although after a bit of digging it appears that you can hide but not delete (on the phone) those that are only on FB and not already in your contacts. There is no way I would integrate my Facebook friends and contacts so that isn't a killer feature for me.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...phone-faq.aspx

This should help you out on not having all your FB friends show up.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Zone1
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...phone-faq.aspx

This should help you out on not having all your FB friends show up.
Okay that's the page the store assistant and I looked at whilst trying to figure this out, and it gives a vital bit of info. This is why I stressed in my post that you can hide but not delete (on the phone) which means that if you do a search for a contact they all still come up hidden or not. You cannot remove a facebook contact from the phone without unfriending them on facebook. That's what I seriously didn't like, I have a separate phone with free Facebook access (and free Skype) from Three for that so that there is no cross contamination. I also worry that someone will write a malicious bit of code for facebook that allows this cross linked info (i.e. addresses and phone numbers/emails) to be pilfered from the phone. As I have a few friends who would certainly not want their details made public (at least one has had a stalker in the past), I use two phones (and an airwall) to keep them separate.

Originally Posted by MS website
By default, all of your Facebook friends appear as contacts on your phone. If you have a lot of Facebook friends showing up in your contacts list, you can choose to only show friends who are already contacts on your phone. (So, if a Facebook friend is also a contact in Windows Live or Google, their Facebook information will still show up in your contacts list. All other friends will be hidden from the list.)
Originally Posted by MS website
When you set up a Facebook account on your phone, all your Facebook friends will appear in your contact list. You can't delete these contacts from your phone, but it's possible to reduce the number of them that will show up in your contact list (see above).

You can also hide a friend in Facebook on your PC. This won't remove them from your phone's contact list, but it will hide their status updates. To learn how, see the Facebook Help Center.
In order to remove a Facebook friend from your phone completely, you'll need to remove the friend connection on the Facebook website in your web browser. To learn how, see the Facebook Help Center.
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
What kind of warnings? Is that just for WP7 or also for Android phones, too? On my G2, I set up my Facebook account, then imported my contacts. I was surprised it was able to synchronize the Facebook profile photo to each contact so efficiently; however, it was a feature I really didn't care for.
The warning was that once the facebook contacts are there on the WP7 handset they are impossible to get rid of without unfriending those people on facebook. Haven't tried Android for a while so no idea if it is the same on there.

Now to be clear I found too many things that my BlackBerry does that WP7 either doesn't do or does in a way that was too odd for me, so I left the store empty handed.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Nov 11, 2010 at 8:06 am
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
It seems to be handbags at dawn for Google and Facebook anyway with Google not reccomending doing the Facebook contacts thingy.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I don't trust Facebook at all, why would I trust Facebook with all of my contact info?

At least with Gmail I can keep my contact info private, and wipe it if I need to. With Facebook there is no such guarantee, plus any facebook apps you use will have access to your profile / contacts. No freaking way I'd be dumb enough to trust Facebook with my contacts.

Last edited by UALOneKPlus; Nov 12, 2010 at 11:33 am
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
I don't trust Facebook at all, why would I trust Facebook with all of my contact info?

At least with Gmail I can keep my contact info private, and wipe it if I need to. With Facebook there is such guarantee, plus any facebook apps you use will have access to your profile / contacts. No freaking way I'd be dumb enough to trust Facebook with my contacts.
I don't use facebook with my real name and I don't use any apps on there, the email I use for it is a separate mailbox and there are no personal details on there. To be my friend you have to know who I am and accept my request, so in short I don't really trust it either. So having a phone that will link my contacts to that and is basically going to be constantly updating the handset (using my data allowance ) with other peoples updates is not really that attractive to me.

The INQ1 phone that I have did try and link my contacts to facebook, I let it, it didn't have to try very hard as there are deliberately no contacts on there at all.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Tag line for WP7 commercial:

"Less staring, more clubbing."
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone just sent me this link for a youtube video and thought whilst watching it, what a really great advert for BlackBerry. Boy was I surprised when I saw the end.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Someone just sent me this link for a youtube video and thought whilst watching it, what a really great advert for BlackBerry. Boy was I surprised when I saw the end.
The message Im getting is "our phones suck so you won't bother using them". I'm almost certain that wasn't what I was supposed to get out of it.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The message Im getting is "our phones suck so you won't bother using them". I'm almost certain that wasn't what I was supposed to get out of it.
I agree, it also made me realise that I'm not the only BB addict and that I'm more normal (in that respect ) than I thought. Didn't sell WP7 to me though which was I guess the point. The now defunct airline Silverjet did an ad where they copied (with a far smaller budget) the famous BA 'Face' advert. They used the same director, music (which is BA's audio branding), locations etc. and everything screamed BA up until you saw the very end, assuming you saw the very end. This is similar to that in that if you miss the end of the ad through channel surfing etc. you have no idea what product is being advertised and are left to draw your own conclusions.

Which is exactly what I did thinking this one was for BlackBerry.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Nov 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:08 am

I love the HTC phone with WP7
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavarar
I love the HTC phone with WP7
Welcome to FT.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:11 pm

I am using HTC TP2 with Sprint right now, and cannot wait for the HTC 7 pro come out for Sprint next year!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am still loving it. More good apps than I had expected. Still, it feels like Android did back in 2008 -not completely finished, but so much potential.

I've got all the big names here - and I'd say WebOS and Blackberry are now 4th and 5th behind WP7, iOS and Android.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.