Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here excited for WP7?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
Engadget has a pretty thorough write-up on the OS. Seems that it shines in some areas, but in others it is currently crippled (no copy+paste, no multitasking, poor third-party app support and implementation). Still, a good start for Microsoft, especially if you consider the first iteration of iOS, Android, and Blackberry's revamps.
But it is hardly a "start". They have had a lot of mobile/phone OS versions before.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
But it is hardly a "start". They have had a lot of mobile/phone OS versions before.
True, but I think of it as the start of a new generation. Like WebOS vs. PalmOS... sure Palm had created several mobile OSes before, but WebOS was a dramatic and new shift. We are no longer in the age of terribly slow cell data connections, styluses, and other antiquities. There is not a whole lot Microsoft could still use from the old Windows Mobile.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
True, but I think of it as the start of a new generation. Like WebOS vs. PalmOS... sure Palm had created several mobile OSes before, but WebOS was a dramatic and new shift. We are no longer in the age of terribly slow cell data connections, styluses, and other antiquities. There is not a whole lot Microsoft could still use from the old Windows Mobile.
But it isnt competing against those old operating systems. It has been making a lot of operating systems, call them what you want, and I dont see it catching up.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
PalmOS had stagnated even more than Windows Mobile had, and it's far from clear that WebOS is a model anyone should copy.

While it's true there's not a lot that Microsoft DID carry over, there's a great deal more they COULD have without pitching the better things about it. The bigger issues were not UI tweaks to be finger-friendly (been done on top of WinMo for years) nor the underlying memory architecture (which on WinMo dated to machines with a few megabytes of battery-backed RAM) but rather the "unfortunate" notion that a PDA/Smartphone was a general purpose computer that the physical owner actually... owned.

Couldn't have that in the brave new sandboxed world.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Anandtech posted a long, detailed review of WP7. It actually is making me consider getting a WP7 (I returned my G2s) next month.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Walt Mossberg reviews it in today's Wall St. Journal (page D1) and doesn't care much for it. No multitasking of third-party apps, no copy/paste, and no using the phone as a modem for other devices.

I don't know much about software development, but it seems as if these would be on the very first checklist that you gave to your coders.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Walt Mossberg reviews it in today's Wall St. Journal (page D1) and doesn't care much for it. No multitasking of third-party apps, no copy/paste, and no using the phone as a modem for other devices.

I don't know much about software development, but it seems as if these would be on the very first checklist that you gave to your coders.
iPhone went about a year without the first two and it still doesn't have the last one.

That said, they're competing for the same manufacturers which make the Android phones.

Or they're suing some like Motorola which aren't on board with WP7 yet.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by JClishe
I definitely see your point, don't get me wrong. But I can't help but wonder how big of an issue this truly is? What percentage of smartphone users will be impacted by not being able to easily swap their removable storage? I have removable storage in my current phone, which I've had for over a year, and I've never once touched it.

I can see wanting to upgrade to larger storage, sure. Say I buy a WP7 device with 16gb of storage and at some point in the future I want to upgrade to 32gb. Gonna have to do a hard reset and that'll suck, no disputing that. But at least I have the option to do it so I'm already a step ahead of iPhone users. I might perform this storage upgrade once, maybe twice during the lifetime of the phone.

So I'm just wondering, what is the use case for needing to be able to "swap" storage so frequently that this really becomes a dealbreaker for buying the phone, and going back to my previous question, what's the percentage of smartphone users that will be impacted by this dealbreaker?

I'm just trying to rationally understand both sides, that's all. For me, and quite honestly most everyone that I know, this whole removable storage issue isn't an issue at all. So I'd just like to understand the use case for the other perspective here, the perspective that thinks it's a really big issue.

Thanks,

Jason
I swap cards every month or so as they have different things on them. I can also relegate a smaller card to a less capable phone when I get another larger one for the better speced phone. For example I took a 2GB one from my Bold 9700 set and just copied everything from that card to the 8GB one putting the 2GB one into the INQ1. Helpful in that I now have a back up of the data.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: KLM, Thalys
Originally Posted by wco81
iPhone went about a year without the first two and it still doesn't have the last one.
That's not really relevant. Isn't MS competing against the iPhone of today and not the iPhone of two years ago?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by JoostvD
That's not really relevant. Isn't MS competing against the iPhone of today and not the iPhone of two years ago?
Indeed. They're also competing to keep the existing WinMo customers, against RIM/BlackBerry, and against Android. The fact that they seem to have targeted the most locked-in set of customers (Apple's) rather than the much more fragmented and flexible customers of the other three platforms (four, if you count Symbian outside the US) and it seems inexplicable.

The only interesting feature, to my mind, is the XBox 360 integration. If it was an otherwise open, comparable platform, it might well have been enough to sway me in its favor... as it stands, I'm sure there are a handful of late-teen and 20-something guys for whom this is a must-have, but I just can't see any other market niche that this will appeals to where another offering isn't better.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
What's interesting about that is the WP7 Marketplace has almost 800 apps in it, right now, and the phone hasn't even launched in the US yet. That number is higher than the iPhone, Android, and WebOS marketplaces had in their app stores - combined - on each of their respective launch days. (Roughly 550 apps for iPhone on launch day, 60-ish for Android, and 30-ish for WebOS). So developer / ISV interest in the WP7 platform is clearly there.

Joost makes an excellent point though. MS isn't competing with each of those phones and their app stores on their respective launch days; they're competing with those phones today. So the litmus test will be whether the momentum of WP7 app development is sustaining a few months from now.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Easier to start with a larger number when you can port from other platforms or just pay developers to bring their applications to WP7.

It'll depend on sales of the phones and the apps. to see if the number of apps. grow to vie with iOS and Android app. libraries.

RIMM ships a lot of phones, which is going to take some time for WP7 to match or exceed. Yet they have a fraction of apps. that is available for iPhone or Android phones. Maybe a lot of Blackberries haven't been capable app. platforms until the Torch.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
More crappy WP7 news / features:

Windows Phone 7 limits camera access for apps

Microsoft's tight design rules require all Windows Phone 7 devices to have a pretty nice camera on them; they must tout at least 5 megapixels and video capture to boot. Unfortunately, Redmond's new phone operating system has limitations that mean developers can't fully take advantage of the lenses.

Although Windows Phone 7 devices can record and upload video and pictures, application developers can't fully take advantage of those image sensors to do other fun things like video chat and augmented reality.

That means that not only will Windows Phone 7 not have as many apps as Android-based phones or the iPhone when the first devices go on sale in the U.S. next month, but there will also be whole classes of programs that we just won't see--at least for this version of Windows Phone

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20...#ixzz13AE5XUAt.
How many ways did Microsoft go out of their way to cripple their WP7 phones???
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:20 am
Suspended

Do we really know that it was a deliberate decision to prevent certain uses of the camera by third parties?

Or maybe they just didn't get to provide that support in time for this first revision.

Can't imagine they'd want to intentionally limit the types of apps and the types of features on those apps for their platform.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
The more reviews I read the more I am brought by to the days of iOS 1. The stories of apps not being able to stay suspended though when locked is the most depressing. I want MS to succeed though they are really going to have to work overtime to get this OS up to speed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.