Anyone here excited for WP7?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here excited for WP7?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
As the WSJ says today, I think WP7 will be competitive two or three iterations from now. In the meantime they've got a lot of work ahead to break up the Android/Apple/RIM tri-opoly. Windows Mobile share of the mobile universe has fallen to or below 5% and MSFT isn't even on most peoples' radar any more. So, no, not much excited about WP7, but if it keeps the 3 established players alert I guess it serves a purpose.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
BTW, what do people think of the UI design?

I'm not feeling the pastel colors and the large tiles. I guess you can get more status info. without launching an app. but it might mean scrolling more to find the item you were looking for.

Aside from the usability/ergonomics issues, the esthetics seem off. But that's a purely subjective thing.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Huge step backwards in openness - the last thing we need is another wannabe iPhone locked-down ecosystem. Ditto a bunch of functionality that Windows CE/Mobile has had for over a decade... gone.

Or, put differently, I was very curious until the detailed previews came out months back. Since then, funk dat.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Another one finding it very hard to resist the Nokia N8.

Amazed that, unlike in the rest of the world, WM7 is so much more of a big deal than Symbian^3 in the US media - new and different though it undoubtedly is.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steph3n
All webos needs is office app, and that is coming for real now, dataviz screwed it all up. Quickoffice is already on the way now. There are PLENTY other apps out there now, its growing quite nicely. Lots of fart apps too

now webos needs a hardware boost as well, cam with focus would be great, because otherwise it is a good camera. There is a 1ghz version about to come out, but I already have 1ghz on mine, runs well.
I could use some recommendations then -because I have a Palm Pre sitting here unused with virtually no decent apps. For example - is there a call blocker/filtering app for it?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:34 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
The fact that my first reaction to reading the title was "What's WP7?"
I got excited thinking it was some news concerning WordPerfect
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:39 am

No. Not in the slightest. Not even a little bit excited. My current phone (Samsung Galaxy S) runs Android, and so will my next phone.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by typical
Another one finding it very hard to resist the Nokia N8.

Amazed that, unlike in the rest of the world, WM7 is so much more of a big deal than Symbian^3 in the US media - new and different though it undoubtedly is.
I love Nokia hardware but I will never again buy a Symbian OS device. So I havent bought a Nokia phone in years. Nokia should give up on Symbian already and switch to Android or RIM or even give users a choice of the two.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I love Nokia hardware but I will never again buy a Symbian OS device. So I havent bought a Nokia phone in years. Nokia should give up on Symbian already and switch to Android or RIM or even give users a choice of the two.
Nokia would be stupid to do either (from a business point of view), especially if MeeGo can realise its potential (not that I'd likely buy a MeeGo phone, but who knows).

More to the point, I cannot believe anyone prefers RIM's unintuitive, creaking, text-based, unresponsive, freezing, crashing OS to Symbian. I have to use a BB for work (after keeping my Nokia E61i with BBC as long as I could), and there is almost nothing about it I like.

Android is very pretty but seriously power-hungry, and from playing with it (a lot with 1.6, less so with 2.x) doesn't do a great deal more than Symbian does, or in particularly better ways. Moreover, it's seriously data-hungry, and I live in a region with very expensive data.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Saw a WP7 ad, showing a bunch of people staring into their smart phones, running into things, being too immersed with the screen.

So the point is, WP7 will get you information much quicker and you can get on with life.

Is that a complaint from smart phone users, that they're looking at it too much, interacting with it too much, maybe even to the detriment of real life?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: SAS, BA, Priority Club, Hilton Honours, Hertz.
I am sticking with my Iphone having invested to much money in the IoS platform in terms of applications, music, and movies.

I also doubt that MS is able of making things as smooth as Apple.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:59 am

Nokia would be stupid to do either (from a business point of view), especially if MeeGo can realise its potential (not that I'd likely buy a MeeGo phone, but who knows).

More to the point, I cannot believe anyone prefers RIM's unintuitive, creaking, text-based, unresponsive, freezing, crashing OS to Symbian. I have to use a BB for work (after keeping my Nokia E61i with BBC as long as I could), and there is almost nothing about it I like.

Android is very pretty but seriously power-hungry, and from playing with it (a lot with 1.6, less so with 2.x) doesn't do a great deal more than Symbian does, or in particularly better ways. Moreover, it's seriously data-hungry, and I live in a region with very expensive data.
Ive really never had a problem with BB OS freezing. And it does what I want and has the apps I need. And it works well with most mail systems, something that at the time I used Symbian last was not the case. Does Symbian even work with Exchange now? Likewise Android works with either Gmail or Exchange. And for that matter iPhone also works great with Exchange mail. Maybe they fixed it but I gave up after years of trying to get my Symbian phone to sync wirelessly with my email and calendar.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Ive really never had a problem with BB OS freezing. And it does what I want and has the apps I need. And it works well with most mail systems, something that at the time I used Symbian last was not the case. Does Symbian even work with Exchange now? Likewise Android works with either Gmail or Exchange. And for that matter iPhone also works great with Exchange mail. Maybe they fixed it but I gave up after years of trying to get my Symbian phone to sync wirelessly with my email and calendar.
Not complete freezes - I've never seen those, the darned thing just crashes instead. But I get 2-3 second freezes, during which it helpfully ignores anything I've typed, several times a day. It's infuriating.

As mentioned, I used to use Blackberry Connect on my Symbian. Not any more, but there's both Mail for Exchange and Lotus Notes Traveler available for Nokia devices. MfE has been around for ages.

MfE hasn't got good folder support, I understand, but otherwise works fine as far as I know. My company is on Notes so I've never tried it.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:20 am

Not complete freezes - I've never seen those, the darned thing just crashes instead. But I get 2-3 second freezes, during which it helpfully ignores anything I've typed, several times a day. It's infuriating.

As mentioned, I used to use Blackberry Connect on my Symbian. Not any more, but there's both Mail for Exchange and Lotus Notes Traveler available for Nokia devices. MfE has been around for ages.

MfE hasn't got good folder support, I understand, but otherwise works fine as far as I know. My company is on Notes so I've never tried it.
Right. MfE supports basically inbox and no other folders. Or maybe inbox and outbox. So it is basically useless to me and I would guess the majority of other Exchange users. I used my first Symbian device in the 90s, a Psion 5MX. Great hardware, more or less couldnt do anything I wanted due to the software. Not seeing much difference now.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I got excited thinking it was some news concerning WordPerfect
WordPerfect passed the version 7 mark a very long time ago. I remember using it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.