Power Etiquette

Old Jul 1, 10, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Power Etiquette

Just wondering what the other FTers think….
Do you take both power outlets or are you quick to share?
I spend a lot of time at YYZ, which is notorious for limited power outlets. Many of the (few) outlets around had travellers using both outlets, with headphones on and avoiding eye contact as I tried to give them the “how about sharing” look.
I’ve seen people travel with mini power strips so they can share, and one time I saw someone plug their Dell into someone else’s power brick without asking. The unaware traveller had his laptop plugged in without it plugged to the wall. He didn’t see it happen until he got up to board.

BTW: I just unplugged my laptop to give the outlet to someone else, so I think I'll log off now.

Update: For those that spend time in YYZ-Terminal 3, there is an outlet outside the snack bar by B14. Pulling a table over creates a reasonable working setup...for Terminal 3.
Old Jul 1, 10, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL FO, US Silver, MR Plat, HH Silver
I only use one outlet for my laptop. If I need charge my phone or mp3 player I use a usb charger.
Old Jul 1, 10, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tikiboy View Post
Just wondering what the other FTers think….
Do you take both power outlets or are you quick to share?
I spend a lot of time at YYZ, which is notorious for limited power outlets. Many of the (few) outlets around had travellers using both outlets, with headphones on and avoiding eye contact as I tried to give them the “how about sharing” look.
I’ve seen people travel with mini power strips so they can share, and one time I saw someone plug their Dell into someone else’s power brick without asking. The unaware traveller had his laptop plugged in without it plugged to the wall. He didn’t see it happen until he got up to board.

BTW: I just unplugged my laptop to give the outlet to someone else, so I think I'll log off now.

Update: For those that spend time in YYZ-Terminal 3, there is an outlet outside the snack bar by B14. Pulling a table over creates a reasonable working setup...for Terminal 3.
It is a bit nasty to use ALL the outlets, but it is first come first served I suppose. You could always ask.

What gets me are those airports with dedicated laptop tables..and people sitting in them without laptops, eating luch or chatting.
Old Jul 1, 10, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought a 9 ft extension cord at the Dollar store and carry it on every trip. I occasionally ask someone using an outlet in an airport if he would share it and never have been refused. The cord works wonders in hotel rooms with limits outlets also.

MisterNice
Old Jul 1, 10, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
I only use one outlet for my laptop. If I need charge my phone or mp3 player I use a usb charger.
+1

I consider it rude to take both outlets, especially if an airport is particularly crowded.
Old Jul 1, 10, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually travel with something like this in my bag, for just such an occasion.

http://www.amazon.com/58368-3-Ground...8021690&sr=8-1
Old Jul 1, 10, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by tikiboy View Post
I spend a lot of time at YYZ, which is notorious for limited power outlets.
Being UA PE, and going through YYZ, you should have AC MLL access. In the MLL lounges, there are tons of outlets. I usually sit in one of the computer desk/cubicles which have far more outlets than I can use.
Old Jul 1, 10, 6:22 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Great thread for Travel Technology and I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 1, 10, 9:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Another vote for the three outlet tap. They can be had at times for under a buck at flea markets (I've seen them as low as 25 cents) and I'll usually have a couple in the bag leaving the one with the person I was splitting the outlet with.

Though I hardly need it anymore, the netbook has great battery life, and I usually hang out in lounges where it's not an issue.
Old Jul 2, 10, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I always have at least a single power strip on me. Why wouldn't you travel with at least a cheap one if you're a frequent traveler? Not all hotels have easy to access outlets, so a power strip comes in handy often.
Old Jul 2, 10, 5:29 am

forget the power strip just get a compact one outlet to three outled adapter its much less cumbersome than a power strip
Old Jul 2, 10, 5:44 am

What gets me are those airports with dedicated laptop tables..and people sitting in them without laptops, eating luch or chatting.[/QUOTE]

Yes that's annoying you need to pace around the laptop only table with your power cord in your hand until they get the hint...
Old Jul 2, 10, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
Being UA PE, and going through YYZ, you should have AC MLL access. In the MLL lounges, there are tons of outlets. I usually sit in one of the computer desk/cubicles which have far more outlets than I can use.
I am also trying to maintain Delta GM, so I spend time in Terminal 3 as well. I do like the MLL at Terminal 1.
Old Jul 2, 10, 10:53 am

I travel with a 15' extension cord with multiple outlets on it. Most hotel rooms just don't have an outlet that is convenient. Airports may not have a chair nearby to the only outlet. When traveling abroad you can use an adapter for the country that you are visiting for the cord, and have multiple US outlets avail.
Old Jul 2, 10, 5:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Bring a 3-outlet adapter or small powerstrip and you'll always find someone who's willing to share.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: