Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biztripster
Note: the reason AT&T experiences problems in NYC, SF, and Chicago is because of bandwidth issues due to some many folks owning an iPhone. They expect to have this fully ironed out by late 2010. By that time, and also early 2011 AT&T and Sprint will have released their LTE/WiMax/4G/What-have-you coverage and all of them will be pretty good.

<snip>

So...in my opinion, regardless of the iPhone, if you're a current AT&T subscriber stick with AT&T as they are working very hard to expand their network bandwidth. If you are wanting to switch from Sprint / Verizon, I'd wait a year. But, no matter who you use, all of the big three (and T-mobile) will get much improvement in call coverage, broadband speeds, and phone/hardware choices over the next 12 to 18 months.
AT&T screwed up when they blindly took the iPhone. They didn't bother taking a look and seeing how it would impact its own network.

In the long run, AT&T hurt themselves by taking on the iPhone. Sure, it got 43 million subscribers, but its a portion of the 43m subscribers that are talking very bad of AT&T's network coverage, and it's coming out through the worst possible way....word of mouth.

Couple that with Verizon's very effective 3G coverage campaign, and it's going to take awhile for AT&T to repair the damage done to its image at its own doing.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
So...in my opinion, regardless of the iPhone, if you're a current AT&T subscriber stick with AT&T as they are working very hard to expand their network bandwidth. If you are wanting to switch from Sprint / Verizon, I'd wait a year. But, no matter who you use, all of the big three (and T-mobile) will get much improvement in call coverage, broadband speeds, and phone/hardware choices over the next 12 to 18 months.
You do realize that you have basically recommended that everyone should stand pat for a year...

My rec's would be:
- if you are on AT&T and have an iPhone, unlock it and move to T-Mobile.
- if you're on AT&T and don't have an iPhone, you're an idiot -> bad phone AND bad network?
- if you're on Verizon and want an iPhone but don't want the sucky AT&T network, get a Droid for a year and then check things out at that point.

Of course, my recs assume you are not currently bound by a contract and can switch at-will.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pittpanther
My rec's would be:
- if you are on AT&T and have an iPhone, unlock it and move to T-Mobile.
- if you're on AT&T and don't have an iPhone, you're an idiot -> bad phone AND bad network?
- if you're on Verizon and want an iPhone but don't want the sucky AT&T network, get a Droid for a year and then check things out at that point.
Thanks for calling me an idiot but based on the poor quality of advice you are giving out, it seems the idiot may be you.

1) If you unlock an iPhone and use it on T-Mobile you won't get any 3G at all which makes an iPhone almost useless (no good for calls or web surfing).

2) There are many more phones you can use on the AT&T network than Verizon or Sprint and plenty of those are better phones than the iPhone.

If you travel internationally and want a wide choice of phones that will work in most countries with cheap pre-paid SIMs, you will need an unlocked quad-band GSM phone. The only US networks those phones will work on are AT&T and T-Mobile. I carry both a T-Mobile and an AT&T phone and have found the AT&T network coverage to be much better. AT&T will also provide the unlock code for any of their branded phones which is not an iPhone.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by ADGrant

If you travel internationally and want a wide choice of phones that will work in most countries with cheap pre-paid SIMs, you will need an unlocked quad-band GSM phone. The only US networks those phones will work on are AT&T and T-Mobile.
VZW does have GSM-capable phones, at least for the bands commonly used in Europe. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in about the other continents, although I suspect it's the same.

While I wish the selection were much larger, going with AT&T or T-Mobile isn't a necessity.

If that weren't an option, buying a cheap GSM phone for travel purposes would be preferable to using one carrier featured prominently in this thread.

Last edited by user1; Dec 28, 2009 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Bleh. I just switched from a craptastic AT&T iPhone to a VZW BB Tour. I grew up using the BB, so it wasn't a big deal, but did love AT&T's BB Bold... VZW's Tour is just plain slow and antiquated. Horrible little device.

I wonder if VZW plans on getting any decent BB's anytime soon. Anyone know?

As for my iPhone, it's sitting here and will be waiting to be jailbroken and put onto VZW's networks once the exclusivity deal is up.

BN
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You might have an issue using an iPhone on VZW's network since the iPhone is GSM and VZW is CDMA/EV-DO, and are incompatable.

The Tour is scheduled for an upgrade next year getting a trackpad and a faster processor. I haven't had problems with my Tour, its signifigantly faster than the 8330 Curve I had, and can run laps around my Pearl.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Well, here's my five cents.

Quick background: I have been in/out of the mobile phone industry for the past few years and have had service contracts with all the big three.

As far as nationwide CALL coverage (baring small cowpoke towns):

#1 - Verizon
#2 - AT&T
#3 - Sprint

As far as nationwide INTERNET 3G coverage:

#1 - Verizon
#2 - AT&T
#3 - Sprint

Note: the reason AT&T experiences problems in NYC, SF, and Chicago is because of bandwidth issues due to some many folks owning an iPhone. They expect to have this fully ironed out by late 2010. By that time, and also early 2011 AT&T and Sprint will have released their LTE/WiMax/4G/What-have-you coverage and all of them will be pretty good.

As far as TYPE OF PHONE:

#1 - AT&T offers the most flexibility
#2 - Verizon
#3 - Sprint

AT&T uses SIM cards and thus you can buy any "unlocked" phone and use it on their network. It's a bit more difficult with Verizon and Sprint since they do not use SIM cards.

I can tell you haven't used sprint very much, because Sprint roams on Verizon and alltel towers as well. Verizon refuses to roam back on sprint, therefore in my experience, even in cowpoke towns all over the US, Sprint is far superior to Verizon. I have used my sprint phone from just east of LA across all the southern states, and up the eastern seaboard to Maine, back across to the midwest, and recently in the pacific northwest. Sprint has had me covered the entire way, yes sometime roaming on Verizon, but that is the great thing about the ability to roam, unlike Verizon phones.

I have friends and business associates on verizon that come to my area here and have zero service, and have to borrow my phone. And this is in a Verizon landline makret

For what it is worth, I can roam on Verizon and alltel for data coverage as well, including EVDO. and i haven't paid a penny extra for doing it.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by user1
VZW does have GSM-capable phones, at least for the bands commonly used in Europe. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in about the other continents, although I suspect it's the same.

While I wish the selection were much larger, going with AT&T or T-Mobile isn't a necessity.

If that weren't an option, buying a cheap GSM phone for travel purposes would be preferable to using one carrier featured prominently in this thread.
Its true that VZW has a few GSM capable phones. They are mostly Blackberries which are not to everyones taste and (except for the Storm), lack wi-fi.

As for buying a cheap phone for travel purposes, not everyone wants to use a cheap phone. Some would rather use the smartphone they already have and just bring a few SIMs along.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:23 am

Its true that VZW has a few GSM capable phones. They are mostly Blackberries which are not to everyones taste and (except for the Storm), lack wi-fi.

As for buying a cheap phone for travel purposes, not everyone wants to use a cheap phone. Some would rather use the smartphone they already have and just bring a few SIMs along.
Certainly. It may have been unclear that my last paragraph was personal observation and not a general prescription.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:56 am

Looks like O2 in the UK is having the same problems with iPhone.

"The UK’s leading provider of mobile phones, O2, is openly admitting to having iPhone related network issues."

"O2 iPhone owners have suffered through some of the same issues as some AT&T customers have experienced – dropped calls, data inconsistency, etc… So the big question is what has O2 done to solve the issue at hand? They’ve gone and spent a ton of money on the network to meet it’s demand including adding 200 additional mobile towers in the areas of need."

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/12...etwork-issues/
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:36 pm

So the big question is what has O2 done to solve the issue at hand? They’ve gone and spent a ton of money on the network to meet it’s demand including adding 200 additional mobile towers in the areas of need."
What, no refusal to sell the iPhone in London...erm, or should that be "periodically modify their promotions and distribution channels"?

Last edited by user1; Dec 29, 2009 at 12:42 pm
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:10 pm

Thanks for calling me an idiot but based on the poor quality of advice you are giving out, it seems the idiot may be you.

1) If you unlock an iPhone and use it on T-Mobile you won't get any 3G at all which makes an iPhone almost useless (no good for calls or web surfing).

2) There are many more phones you can use on the AT&T network than Verizon or Sprint and plenty of those are better phones than the iPhone.
Errr, while pitt's "advice" was pretty craptastic, this post is riddled with errors. I generally agree, but the content is craptastic as well and needs some clarification.

1) T-Mobile has 3G. It's just not as extensive as AT&T nor as fast. So, while it's generally true that it's prolly not a good idea to unlock an iPhone and jump to T-Mobile, for a small minority of people, it might be a good idea.

2) This statement is pure opinion, and it's not an opinion shared by most people out there from what I can tell. Yes, AT&T has lots of phones other than the iPhone. Some of them are pretty well received. However, Verizon actually has a decent selection too, and based on what I've read on message boards like HowardForums and some other places, a lot of the VZW phones are preferred to the AT&T ones. Sprint has a pretty craptastic selection overall, but it's got a couple of very popular phones too. Personally, excluding the iPhone, I find VZW's offerings a lot more attractive than AT&T;s.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by codex57

1) T-Mobile has 3G. It's just not as extensive as AT&T nor as fast. So, while it's generally true that it's prolly not a good idea to unlock an iPhone and jump to T-Mobile, for a small minority of people, it might be a good idea.
T-Mobile's flavor of 3G is incompatible with AT&T's and indeed most of the GSM world. Voice is the same; data only runs @ EDGE speed for iPhones on T-Mobile.

Which is also true on AT&T for great swathes of the country.

Last edited by user1; Dec 29, 2009 at 4:13 pm
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by codex57
Errr, while pitt's "advice" was pretty craptastic, this post is riddled with errors. I generally agree, but the content is craptastic as well and needs some clarification.

2) This statement is pure opinion, and it's not an opinion shared by most people out there from what I can tell. Yes, AT&T has lots of phones other than the iPhone. Some of them are pretty well received. However, Verizon actually has a decent selection too, and based on what I've read on message boards like HowardForums and some other places, a lot of the VZW phones are preferred to the AT&T ones. Sprint has a pretty craptastic selection overall, but it's got a couple of very popular phones too. Personally, excluding the iPhone, I find VZW's offerings a lot more attractive than AT&T;s.
There are no errors in my post, only some misunderstandings on your part.

1) As mentioned by the post above this one, the 3G frequencies used by T-Mobile are not supported by the iPhone. Therefore on T-Mobile the iPhone 3G is in fact a 2G phone.

2) Verizon and Sprint customers are largely limited to phones sold by Verizon and Sprint. AT&T and T-Mobile customers can use any unlocked GSM phone with compatible frequencies. Admittedly the choice of compatible 2G phones is much larger than the choice of 3G phones but there are still many 3G phones never sold by AT&T that I can use on their network. I have also found that the carrier branding on AT&T is generally less intrusive than on Verizon. In fact I left Verizon because I didn't like how they were lobotomizing their phones. To be fair, AT&T has had a few examples of this also.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Update on iPhone, AT&T and the melt-down of their network

Rather than start a new thread....forthcoming Wired article (hard copy available, not on-line yet):
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/wire...-meltdown/7640

For a more humorous viewpoint, here's a youtube video. It's in chinese -- use your imagination and you'll get some of it. The part where they cut the fingers - the commentary is basically there is no reception problem for the iPhone4, it's easily 'solved', then cut to the sword/fingers part. Also commentary re the recent problems at their China supplier Foxconn plant (folks falling off the building):
http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/20...s-darth-vador/

Another one - in english
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10686

Last edited by dtsm; Jul 19, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.