AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mbreuer
I'm thinking that they're using the same servers for regular and visual vm and they're overloaded.
They might, but the access numbers to call VVM and regular VM are different (253-709-4073 and 253-209-0376, respectively), and you can't access VVM boxes from the regular VM access number (or vice versa).

And FWIW, I have never had problems with my VVM or the regular VM system (in order to avoid data roaming charges, I changed to regular VM while in Asia/Australia for two months last year). It could be a regional thing, though--the two access numbers I was given are based in Washington (Tacoma area), and different parts of the country may operate on different systems and be more congested.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Part of the problem you see is with the iPhone itself. Apple probably makes the worst radio antenna and radio firmware of any smartphone out there. For years as a employee of AT&T, people would shop for the iPhone in droves and thumb their nose at me for sticking with Windows Mobile( Cingular 8125, 8525, AT&T Tilt, HTC Fuze and HTC Tilt 2). I don't have the same issues of dropped calls and service in NYC that iPhone users have because I constantly tinker with the phone's radio firmware plus I lock onto 850 3G which most iPhone users don't access(they use 1900) so I get plenty of bars, good service and fast network speed). The phone matters and if you're gonna use a AT&T phone , get a blackberry or Win Mo phone. if u r addicted to the App store, get a iPod Touch and you' ll be plenty happy.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Another article which suggests that AT&T is getting a bad rap, from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/bu...l?ref=business

"When I set about looking for independent data, however, to confirm the superior performance of Verizon’s network, I was astonished to discover that I had managed to get things exactly wrong. Despite the well-publicized problems in New York and San Francisco, AT&T seems to have the superior network nationwide.

And the iPhone itself may not be so great after all. Its design is contributing to performance problems.

Roger Entner, senior vice president for telecommunications research at Nielsen, said the iPhone’s “air interface,” the electronics in the phone that connect it to the cell towers, had shortcomings that “affect both voice and data.” He said that in the eyes of the consumer, “the iPhone has the nimbus of infallibility, ergo, it’s AT&T’s fault.” AT&T does not publicly defend itself because it will not criticize Apple under any circumstances, he said. AT&T and Apple both declined to comment on Mr. Entner’s assessments."
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

3G out again in SFO

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10...g=2547-1_3-0-5
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by ADGrant
Another article which suggests that AT&T is getting a bad rap, from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/bu...l?ref=business

"When I set about looking for independent data, however, to confirm the superior performance of Verizon’s network, I was astonished to discover that I had managed to get things exactly wrong. Despite the well-publicized problems in New York and San Francisco, AT&T seems to have the superior network nationwide.

And the iPhone itself may not be so great after all. Its design is contributing to performance problems.

Roger Entner, senior vice president for telecommunications research at Nielsen, said the iPhone’s “air interface,” the electronics in the phone that connect it to the cell towers, had shortcomings that “affect both voice and data.” He said that in the eyes of the consumer, “the iPhone has the nimbus of infallibility, ergo, it’s AT&T’s fault.” AT&T does not publicly defend itself because it will not criticize Apple under any circumstances, he said. AT&T and Apple both declined to comment on Mr. Entner’s assessments."
Give it up. Too many of us have too many personal experiences with problems spanning years with no resolution.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:47 pm

AT&T is terrible

I have Verizon and ATT due to having to keep my old number and a new business where I don't want to cross numbers. After using ATT, I can truly say the service is so bad I am almost ready to dump it.

For those that say Apple products never have issues -- that is completely wrong. I have had to reset my iPhone because it was unable to get to the internet, applications just go back to the main page after you try to run them, etc.

I do like the iPhone but it would be so much better on Verizon.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:47 am
Suspended

I broke a contract on AT&T to change to Verizon the service was that bad. Nothing like dropped calls all of the time. Their 3G was not notably faster than 2G. I'd get calling errors that could only be fixed by a hard reboot. After changing to Verizon, I've had 0 dropped calls in a month and only once had an issue calling someone. I travel all over the west coast and Verizon's network is far superior.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I use U.S. Cellular (I see I'm a minority here).
Verizon's network is down in WI right now. Engadget has a neat map up with a few states blanked out from the network issues. Big upside I've got, 3G and no charge incoming calls or texts/pix
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I found some interesting comments about AT&T's absurd proposed solution to their bandwidth issue, as reported by the "Fake Steve Jobs:"

So we set up a call with Randall this morning to discuss some of the profoundly stupid things his guy Ralph de la Vega said recently about creating incentives that would encourage people to stop using AT&T’s data network so much. Point of the talk was, when you’re lucky enough to create a smash hit product — when the stars align, and the hardware is great and the ecosystem is great and the apps are great and the whole experience is great, and everything you do just makes everything else better, and you’re totally on a roll and can do no wrong — when that happens, you do not go out and try to fck it all up by discouraging people who love your product.
Full article <warning: much profanity ensues>

Incidentally, I had a two year contract with AT&T many years ago when I was engaged in a long distance relationship that required commuting between PDX and New Jersey. The only thing worse than the poor quality and reliability of AT&T calls was the poor quality of their customer service.

As an aside, the quality of the relationship wasn't all that great either but at least I got a lot of miles for my efforts.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:29 am

And now AT&T's "service" is transforming the iPhone into an SNL laughingstock.

"It was reported this week that Google would soon launch its own cellphone as a challenge to the iPhone. Also a challenge to the iPhone? Making phone calls."

Steve Jobs - don't you think you'd better do something...fast?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by tdml68
I do like the iPhone but it would be so much better on Verizon.
You can't possibly know that since Apple has never built phone hardware capable of working on Verizon.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I've been with AT&T since it was Bell south Mobility and haven't had any issues whatsoever
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by ADGrant
You can't possibly know that since Apple has never built phone hardware capable of working on Verizon.
Come on, don't be an AT&T fanboy.

Verizon's network is consistently voted the best, and those votes have not been dependent on the type of phone. So we have no reason to assume that a Verizon iPhone would be anything less than good as well.

My question - what was/is the benefit to Apple for limiting iPhone to a single network? Did AT&T pay some sort of premium to Apple for exclusive rights? Did that premium exceed the additional revenue Apple might have made, had the iPhone been available on Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint etc?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by pittpanther

Verizon's network is consistently voted the best, and those votes have not been dependent on the type of phone. So we have no reason to assume that a Verizon iPhone would be anything less than good as well.

My question - what was/is the benefit to Apple for limiting iPhone to a single network? Did AT&T pay some sort of premium to Apple for exclusive rights? Did that premium exceed the additional revenue Apple might have made, had the iPhone been available on Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint etc?
Apple didn't limit it to a single network, more so limiting it to a single type of Radio technology (this being a GSM radio which is more of a worldwide standard). There is a pretty big incentive to keeping it to just one type of radio and not having to insure all the software works with both hardware types. With GSM in the US you have ATT or Tmobile.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by pittpanther

Don't be a iPhone/Verizon fanboy. The iPhone is great for a lot of things but it isn't a particularly good phone. Since Apple has never sold a CDMA device you have no idea if it would be any good. And yes it is possible to get bad phone performance from a CDMA device on Verizon's network. The last phone I had on Verizon was terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.