FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:46 pm
ADGrant

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by codex57
Errr, while pitt's "advice" was pretty craptastic, this post is riddled with errors. I generally agree, but the content is craptastic as well and needs some clarification.

1) T-Mobile has 3G. It's just not as extensive as AT&T nor as fast. So, while it's generally true that it's prolly not a good idea to unlock an iPhone and jump to T-Mobile, for a small minority of people, it might be a good idea.

2) This statement is pure opinion, and it's not an opinion shared by most people out there from what I can tell. Yes, AT&T has lots of phones other than the iPhone. Some of them are pretty well received. However, Verizon actually has a decent selection too, and based on what I've read on message boards like HowardForums and some other places, a lot of the VZW phones are preferred to the AT&T ones. Sprint has a pretty craptastic selection overall, but it's got a couple of very popular phones too. Personally, excluding the iPhone, I find VZW's offerings a lot more attractive than AT&T;s.
There are no errors in my post, only some misunderstandings on your part.

1) As mentioned by the post above this one, the 3G frequencies used by T-Mobile are not supported by the iPhone. Therefore on T-Mobile the iPhone 3G is in fact a 2G phone.

2) Verizon and Sprint customers are largely limited to phones sold by Verizon and Sprint. AT&T and T-Mobile customers can use any unlocked GSM phone with compatible frequencies. Admittedly the choice of compatible 2G phones is much larger than the choice of 3G phones but there are still many 3G phones never sold by AT&T that I can use on their network. I have also found that the carrier branding on AT&T is generally less intrusive than on Verizon. In fact I left Verizon because I didn't like how they were lobotomizing their phones. To be fair, AT&T has had a few examples of this also.