Laminated Bag tags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laminated Bag tags

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by falconea
They last longer, and you can use brightly coloured paper making brightly coloured tags, which prevents other people from taking your luggage by mistake.

They're also allow you to use printed labels which more readable than my dreadful handwriting! Handwriting varies considerably around the world and no matter how good your writing it may not be readable elsewhere in the world. A handwritten German "1" would be read as "7" here in Australia, just as an example.

That my two reasons - visibility and readability.

Audrey
I see but I am still not convinced (not that I'd need to be convinced). You can put a printed label inside a normal luggage tag. Readability issue solved. And you can use a really bright luggage tag, as I said, which solves the visibility issue.

Durability is not really an issue because those leather tags should hold up very long and one needs the itinerary list usually only once.

Being German and living in the US I know well about the 1 equals 7 problem. I have resorted to doing a US 1 and to using a German 7 that has a bar crossing the oblique upward line. This makes it totally clear, no matter which country I'm in.

Otherwise, for latin letters, handwriting print letters should work.

So for me, normal tags filled with similar info to what you put, win hands down. If one enjoys laminating tags despite the economic, time and environmental drawbacks, then there are certainly worse ways to spend one's time.

Till
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by tfar
I see but I am still not convinced (not that I'd need to be convinced). You can put a printed label inside a normal luggage tag. Readability issue solved. And you can use a really bright luggage tag, as I said, which solves the visibility issue.

Durability is not really an issue because those leather tags should hold up very long and one needs the itinerary list usually only once.

Being German and living in the US I know well about the 1 equals 7 problem. I have resorted to doing a US 1 and to using a German 7 that has a bar crossing the oblique upward line. This makes it totally clear, no matter which country I'm in.

Otherwise, for latin letters, handwriting print letters should work.

So for me, normal tags filled with similar info to what you put, win hands down. If one enjoys laminating tags despite the economic, time and environmental drawbacks, then there are certainly worse ways to spend one's time.

Till
I can't tell you how many times (well, exactly four, to be honest) someone else has tried walking off with my bag thinking it was theirs. I take a lot of flights popular with business travelers between major business centers and the number of mcblack rollaboards, computer bags and 26 inchers on those flights makes it important that at least a small attempt to differentiate ones bag from those of others be made.

Personally, flying through the middle east and south asia a lot means my bags often have big, colorful airline tags attached to them, that get torn or fall off after a few weeks, but that do often flag the semi-conscious into realizing they are about to pick up the wrong bag.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:36 pm

That's why I said to get a luggage tag that stands out. There are all kinds of colored tags that are fairly big, really stand out and can hold a complete dissertation.

You might also enjoy my thread on the Ten Commandments of Luggage Identification:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ification.html

Till
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really dont think itsa good idea to publish your trip itinerary as some creep could easily read it and give or sell the your trip info to undesirables. I list only my name and address (or name and airline ff number if overseas) and give new address info to the airline if the luggage is lost if I want the luggage to go to my new location.

MisterNice
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by tfar

Bag tags get torn off - I've had this happen a number of times. And fancy leather ones are expensive, and still get torn off. Laminating and using lots of them is a cheap solution.

If I was worried about the environment (and I am!) I wouldn't fly at all. A few little bits of plastic has no environmental significance compared to the impact of making and operating an aircraft.

My grandmother is German, born 1919. Her beautiful clear handwriting, even carefully printed, is utterly unreadable by Australians, who look at her "n" and see "w", just as an example. I never trust hand-written information for overseas travel.

Audrey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.