Wiki Posts
Search

Laminated Bag tags

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Laminated Bag tags

Any suggestions on making laminated bag tags for attaching to carry ons and check-ins?
Old May 31, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Do a Google search for "self laminating luggage tag".
Old May 31, 2009, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The big box office supply stores sell this stuff for do it yourself tag laminating. Not expensive.
Old May 31, 2009, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by legionnaire
Any suggestions on making laminated bag tags for attaching to carry ons and check-ins?
Every Kinko's/Fedex-Kinko's/Fedex (whatever the heck they are calling themselves today) has a diy laminating counter complete with baggage tags, clear plastic loops and cheap leather straps. These tags are designed to laminate standard u.s. business card sized stationary. You can use MS Publisher or other business card design s/w to design the ideal luggage tag for you.
Old May 31, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: amtrak guest rewards
I work in a school. I made mine of my own design using the laminator. I travel by rail alot., so I made a little larger tag using the old Southern Pacific RR colors of red and orange. Easy to see from a distance. I put one on every thing I carry. My wife has one on her hand bag also. Easy to see if stolen. With almost every bag being black it helps in the luggage rack and when getting bags out of the baggage check. I have a small cc size I show to the agent so they can see what to look for.
Old May 31, 2009, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sinbad
I work in a school. I made mine of my own design using the laminator. I travel by rail alot., so I made a little larger tag using the old Southern Pacific RR colors of red and orange. Easy to see from a distance. I put one on every thing I carry. My wife has one on her hand bag also. Easy to see if stolen. With almost every bag being black it helps in the luggage rack and when getting bags out of the baggage check. I have a small cc size I show to the agent so they can see what to look for.
We use the same approach - bright, easy to see tag. CC sized copy given to porter/driver/fixer, and you are on your way!
Old May 31, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
I have my own laminator and I make my tags. When on a major itinerary I put all the addresses and dates on on one side, and my name on the other side.

Something like

Code:
12-Jan	base2stay
LHR	25 Courtfield Gardens
	Kensington SW5
	London
	United Kingdom
17-Jan	Mena House Oberoi
CAI	Pyramids' Road
	Giza
	Egypt
20-Jan	Hotel Angel's Home
IST	Mimar Mehmet Aga Cad. 
	Amiral Tafdil Sk. 22 
	Sultanahmet
	Istanbul
	Turkey
23-Jan	Hotel Stratford
SFO	242 Powell Street
	San Francisco, CA 94102 
	USA
I print them on brightly coloured paper, cut, laminate then hole punch and tie to every possible point on the suitcase with string. Each item has at least 4 tags.

Thanks to the bright tags I can spot my bags from a long distance!

Mr Falconea and I have flown around 20 sectors in the last 6 months with checked luggage, and we didn't lose one item of luggage.

Audrey
Old May 31, 2009, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Excellent! A great plan! I shall copy your plan.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:44 am

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
If you fly SQ in 1st / Business Class or get access to its Silver Kris Lounge, they will laminate your business card with SQ girl on the other side together with a leather belt. I guess SQ nowadays is the only airline still offering it.

I also had a CX & UA baggage tag with laminated business card during the 80's & 90's...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
If you fly SQ in 1st / Business Class or get access to its Silver Kris Lounge, they will laminate your business card with SQ girl on the other side together with a leather belt. I guess SQ nowadays is the only airline still offering it.

I also had a CX & UA baggage tag with laminated business card during the 80's & 90's...
PIA does this for visitors at their lounge in KHI. They will also run off as many Priority Tags as you need if you are Saphire or Diamond in their Awards Plus program, or if you slip the old guy a few bucks.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by falconea
[see above]
Audrey, it is generally not advisable to provide your full names, home address or home phones on the luggage tags. You are advertising, "We wont be home and BTW here is our address." There are gangs operating at major airports, including baggage handling staff, who read such info to figure out which homes may be vulnerable.

Last name, email, cell phone (if active during the trip), address at the destination etc are safer as well as more useful. Good luck.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 1, 2009 at 1:40 pm
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Audrey, it is generally not advisable to provide your full names, home address or home phones on the luggage tags.
I don't - that sample list there was only a list of hotels. I do put my home address on on the last leg flying home if it's international - for domestic flights I do a tag with name and mobile (cell phone) number.

One is always advised to include an itinerary in your luggage - I have that on my tag.

Audrey
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by falconea
I don't - that sample list there was only a list of hotels. I do put my home address on on the last leg flying home if it's international - for domestic flights I do a tag with name and mobile (cell phone) number.

One is always advised to include an itinerary in your luggage - I have that on my tag.

Audrey
Thanks for responding. Yes itinerary is fine. Also, even the best tags could come off or get damaged, so I include an info sheet inside the bag.

I haven't done it yet, but I have also come across the advice to leave a note for potential thieves as well as TSA staff.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:14 am

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but what's the deal about laminated tags? It is much easier and just as efficient to use any luggage tag (as easily recognizable or discreet as you wish) and insert your address and itinerary there. That method has the advantage of using less time and less resources (less plastic as well as less money) because it can be repeated over an over.

It is also more discreet because you can hide the info with the little flap most luggage tags have.

The method of attachment is the same, hence there is no advantage there, either.

So what's so great about laminated tags?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
So what's so great about laminated tags?
They last longer, and you can use brightly coloured paper making brightly coloured tags, which prevents other people from taking your luggage by mistake.

They're also allow you to use printed labels which more readable than my dreadful handwriting! Handwriting varies considerably around the world and no matter how good your writing it may not be readable elsewhere in the world. A handwritten German "1" would be read as "7" here in Australia, just as an example.

That my two reasons - visibility and readability.

Audrey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.