Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

The ten commandments of luggage identification!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ten commandments of luggage identification!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Talking The ten commandments of luggage identification!

From the wealth of interesting responses in the other thread I've been trying to gather a method. I have thought about it for a long time but none of the solutions offered in that thread is fulfilling all ten "commandments". If you try to apply the criteria below, what would be the perfect solution? Can you help?

1. It should make the bag "unique". This means it must be so special and individualized that no one else has the same significant identifier.

2. It must be seen from afar.

3. It must be visible from any side and no matter how it is carried. If you but an x only on one side of your suitcase, the suitcase might lay on that side on the carousel. If you wrap just the handle and someone carries it away in his hand, you don't see the identifier anymore.

4. It must be hard enough to remove that people don't bother to remove it or that it doesn't come off easily. But on the other hand it must be easy enough for you to remove without damage or stains to the case.

5. It must not make the bag more likely to be caught in the mechanics of the carousel. This would mean most dangling stuff is out.

6. It should not make your bag look ridiculous or ugly or insulting to anyone.

7. It must offer at least two or three layers of redundancy, so that it makes it more unique and if one layer gets removed the others are still there.

8. It should be rather a cheap fix and not make your bag look more tempting for thieves. So Platinum card luggage tags and the likes are out, too.

9. It should be easily described to and easily recognized by strangers who have to look for your suitcase. Simpler is better. For example if you say there is a big green heart on the suitcase, that is easy to describe and easily recognized.

10. It should be "forgery" proof, meaning that ideally it would link the bag to you without giving away your identity directly.

Possible solutions:

Having your initials and possibly a number embroidered or stamped directly onto the luggage in a standout color and on at least four sides would be close to ideal. However, this is not easy to achieve. On a hard-sided suitcase one can glue on an engraved plaque. It's not easy to remove but that wouldn't matter because it would look ok. Some soft-sided bags have leather tags that one can emboss. These are not really flashy enough, though, and they are only one one side. To make it immediately apparent no matter from which side you look at it you need an identifier on four sides. But it is difficult to sew a tag on a robust nylon bag or to insert the entire bag into an embroidery machine.

So one could add some day-glo duct tape and actually use an indelible marker to put one's initials and a number on them. The number serves as an additional identifier because the idea is simple and other people with the same initials could have the same idea. The number could be your favorite number or actually a different number for each bag. This way one could tell the claim agent to look for two bags that are marked tfar1 and tfar2, in the unfortunate case both got lost.

To add another layer of redundancy one could make a shape like a triangle or square with the tape. Or actually put three thin stripes around the handle.

The problem with the duct-tape is that it is easily removed and also doesn't look super classy, at least in my eyes.

As usual, this is just my anal-ytical mode of thinking. In reality, I've never really had a problem identifying my bags because those that I check in are rather unusual, there is a big Rimowa alu case, a huge Mandarina Duck black nylon case with rubber ribs, a rather big Eagle Creek Super Trunk and a somewhat less rare Samsonite DLX Garment bag. I have never seen the same bag on a carousel in all my travels. Still, being a perfectionist, this is a nice brain exercise. I am also thinking of which methods I could use if ever my somewhat more common carry-on bags were to be checked in.

I will most likely also get a few tamper tabs, see here:

http://www.tampertab.com/

Till
Old Mar 8, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Strips "Day Glo" Orange duct tape securely wrapped around top handle, side handle and the sometimes wrappable bottom "foot". Tried and tested, and while not "cosmetically appealing" highly functional.

I have one old bag, reserved for extended trips, always checked, that our youngest daughter once adorned with some big Day Glo spray paint "X"s when going on a long bus tour.

Yes, it looks bad, but always reveals itself like a fiery Archangel on the carousel. Not fashionable, but functional, but a bit shocking to "upper crust" doormen, bell men and concierges.

FT luggage tags disappear, souvenirs or stolen by "wannabe" FTers, I guess.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

I actually bought some orange tape just like what you mentioned. I know it would be pretty good in fulfilling the ten commandments except maybe removability and style. The spray x's are of course the sure fire method. Very few people will be that radical. I also love a good bright orange color but I wouldn't go that far.

Actually I think people who get rather standard luggage in a particularly flashy color, say pink leopard print, and then don't do anything extra to identify it, might stand a higher chance of having a luggage confusion than those who have an ordinary bag but go the extra mile in making it unique. There will always be somebody else who also bought a pink leopard bag (there are more than two people with bad taste!). They then think this must be their bag, grab it and go. Of course, their bag was not on the belt yet and they got the wrong one.

So can someone think of something a little bit more stylish than the day-glo tape but that still fulfills the other propositions?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
We tape our company logo on all checked bags. BIG.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
What about bicycle handle bar tape for the handles?

It comes in some bright colors, is padded and should look pretty decent.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Two ideas that meet most of your criteria:

Fabric paint would work on soft or cloth luggage. If you aren't artistic and don't want to let the kids finger paint with it, you could try some kind of stenciled design.

For hard-side luggage, you could order custom engraved metal "dog tags" and attach them flush to the surface with a couple of pop rivets. Actually, you could probably do this on cloth luggage as well, but you might need to reinforce the inside of the fabric before installing the rivets. Thinking about it, would the decorative rivets used in scrapbooking punch through fabric? You might be able to use some of them w/o a dog tag... just put in a few of the decorative rivets or install them in a pattern / design.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scoow
Two ideas that meet most of your criteria:

Fabric paint would work on soft or cloth luggage. If you aren't artistic and don't want to let the kids finger paint with it, you could try some kind of stenciled design.

For hard-side luggage, you could order custom engraved metal "dog tags" and attach them flush to the surface with a couple of pop rivets. Actually, you could probably do this on cloth luggage as well, but you might need to reinforce the inside of the fabric before installing the rivets. Thinking about it, would the decorative rivets used in scrapbooking punch through fabric? You might be able to use some of them w/o a dog tag... just put in a few of the decorative rivets or install them in a pattern / design.
SCOOW,

as you can see from my post I already thought about the engraved tag thing. Riveting might indeed be an option for soft-sided bags but it would be pretty involved.

BUT, the textile paint technique is REALLY a good idea, I think. Basically what one would do is to mark the bag/case like a wooden shipping crate with a stencil and paint. One could choose the color of paint, the exact size and location of the "print", the font, everything. That is very good. Also, very few people will have this.

The problem would be how to make and affix the stencils. In order to get a clean edge it will be best if the stencil is glued (like a self-adhesive sticker) as close to the bag as possible. With a little computer knowledge one could probably use self-adhesive nametags and print just one or two letters for initials on them. Cut these letters out with an exacto knife and glue it onto the bag. Then paint with paint of your choice.

Over the years the paint might rub off but it could be easily renewed.

The look would be very clean, and very custom while not being overly flashy or trashy. The idea of using a similar system to labeling shipping crates is conceptually appealing, too. It would be nice to find the good fonts for that kind of thing. Like the ones used on crates where the letter's elements are often separated because that will make the stencil more stable.

I think this might be something I'd do to my Plat5 roller in a heartbeat on four sides. The soft-sided carry-on bags from my review would get that just on the bottom, so it's not too conspicuous. Other less invasive layers of ID could be chosen for the rest of the bag.

This is really smart and I thank you for the idea. If anyone can beat this, please speak up! ^

Till
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Got it. I found just the right font. And free, too, which wasn't that easy.

This is the so-called DIN Schablonierschrift. The stencil type font according to the German Institute for Norms. It is very commonly seen on shipping containers but also on planes and fighter jets. Fits perfectly for my luggage.

You can find it here:

http://www.sendung.de/dinschablonierschrift/

For mac and pc.

I also thought of another possibility. Instead of stenceling out a self-adhesive tag and using wet paint on the bag directly. One can stencil out an ordinary piece of paper. Glue a day-glo duct tape stripe to a piece of glass (couch table for example) from which it will easily detach. Then put the stencil on the day-glo duct tape. Fill in with black marker and glue duct tape to bag. This way it is super easily removable if you don't like it or you are too scared to spray or paint the bag's material itself.

Now to find the right color. I imagine something that is a bit rubbery, say on a latex base. That should stick well but could also be peeled of or dissolved with alcohol or similar dissolvant.

Till
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:26 pm

This is the kind of rivet-attached tag I was thinking of. They can match your luggage or be as "flashy" as you want. They are designed to be attached to a nylon dog collar and would be easy to attach to a piece of luggage. (I use a similar brass tag to ID my dive gear.)

It sounds like you're going with a stencil. Craft stores sell spray adhesive that will temporarily hold a stencil in place and then peel off cleanly. (They also sell a bunch of pre-cut stencils.)

The only thing I'll add is to think carefully about whether or not you want to use your initials or any personal identifying info. A sailboat, horse, or ??? would be just as unique without telling everyone you walk past that your name is TFAR.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Scoow, thanks for the link. I understood very well what kind of tag you were talking about. It is certainly an option but I find the stencil method to be a bit easier, I guess. It also keeps the integrity of the bag 100%.

As for the initials you are right about the anonymity. But I figure giving just TR as my initials is discreet enough. TFAR is not my name. Till is my name.

I also never put my home address on the tag. Only my family name with the first initial, a cell phone number, an email and a destination address.

Having a boat on the bag, for example, is a good idea per se. But it does not allow a direct claim to be made that this is my bag. Anyone can have a boat on there but not anyone will have TR as his initials. Obviously, there are other ways of identifying the bag but I like the initial thing plus a number.

Good tip on the removable glue, too. Thanks. I think I will try some self-adhesive name tags. I have worked with that kind of glue before and peeling it out of the ballistic nylon weave does not sound like something I would like to do.

I looked at stencils to buy on the net. Insanely expensive, for what it is. Not gonna go that way. It's one of the commandments that it should be rather cheap.

I am currently deliberating whether I should go with a spray paint or a liquid latex base paint and a brush. I am also thinking whether it wouldn't be nice to have some reflective paint on there. Perhaps the initials in reflective grey and the number in day-glo orange. That should actually look quite stylish on a black bag or an alu suitcase for that matter.

Thanks again,

Till
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
If possible, can you create a step-by-step method video of how to do this on youtube? I would love to learn how to do this!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kebosabi
If possible, can you create a step-by-step method video of how to do this on youtube? I would love to learn how to do this!
Do you mean I should create a video of how to do this and post it on youtube? Sorry, but I am afraid that is asking a little too much.

First, I am still trying to figure this out myself. Second, it really shouldn't be all that difficult. And, third, I shouldn't even been thinking about this in the first place because it is not even a tertiary thing in my life. So youtube video is unfortunately not going to happen.

However, I did find a source for reflective paint that's cheap and available in small quantities here:

http://www.liquidreflector.com/index.html

So, sometime in the not so distant future (i.e. within six months) I will try this out. If anybody wants to use my footwork and do it before that and has the time to post a video, I'd greatly appreciate the effort.

Cheers,

Till
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:12 am

Kebosabi - While not exactly what Till is planning to do, take a look at this site for some ideas and "how to" videos. Just imagine your favorite suitcase as the object to be painted.

If spray paint doesn't offer the control you are looking for, try a regular fabric paint - freehand or with a stencil. You should be able to find fabric paint locally at a fabric or craft store like Michaels or Jo-Ann Fabrics. They also sell spray adhesive (get the temporary or repositionable) if you want it to hold a stencil in place while you are painting.

You can make your own stencil with a computer, printer & Xacto knife or purchase stencils in a range of sizes / styles.

Last edited by scoow; Mar 11, 2009 at 3:36 am
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:18 am
Suspended

Spray Fabric Paint

There is a spray on fabric paint that you can use with stencils, like letters or flowers or lions. You can download the stencils free online and spray your identification on the luggage. I did this before to my Granmothers black suitcases because she kept getting confused and grabbing everyone elses luggage. The website is http://www.simplyspray.com There is a "How To" video there. One suggestion, use spray glue to afix the stencil for a tite fit or the paint will bleed around the edges. Good Luck, and Good Traveling!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Angela1000
There is a spray on fabric paint that you can use with stencils, like letters or flowers or lions. You can download the stencils free online and spray your identification on the luggage. I did this before to my Granmothers black suitcases because she kept getting confused and grabbing everyone elses luggage. The website is http://www.simplyspray.com There is a "How To" video there. One suggestion, use spray glue to afix the stencil for a tite fit or the paint will bleed around the edges. Good Luck, and Good Traveling!
Welcome to FT, Angela1000. Thanks for the tip and link. ^ Keep 'em coming...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.