Wiki Posts
Search

RIMOWA Luggage Brand Protection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Are Leica's expensive or something? I'm not much into photography but I bought my wife a mirrorless Sony camera and it takes excellent picture. On the spendy side ($600ish), but well worth the $ spent.
Yes, they're very expensive - think 10x your wife's camera and upwards for the body. If it's an interchangeble lens model, a single Leica lens can set you back close to anything between 2 and 10k
Old Dec 3, 2020, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Yes, they're very expensive - think 10x your wife's camera and upwards for the body. If it's an interchangeble lens model, a single Leica lens can set you back close to anything between 2 and 10k
The Leica 75MM Noctilux is more like USD$14,000.00
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
That's asinine. I can't even imagine a camera taking THAT much better of a picture to justify a $2K+ price tag. I mean at what point is it the skill of the photographer vs the equipment they're using? I'll take my $600 Sony mirrorless and invest the other $1400!
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
https://leicacamerausa.com/photograp...166.1607008826

https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-m10...166.1607008826

https://www.leicacamerausa.com/photo...-sl/sl-camera/

bulbmogul, can we see some of the photos taken by the Leica rather than iPhone please
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
That's asinine. I can't even imagine a camera taking THAT much better of a picture to justify a $2K+ price tag. I mean at what point is it the skill of the photographer vs the equipment they're using? I'll take my $600 Sony mirrorless and invest the other $1400!
You got it wrong, if you take the $600 camera, you'll have $10-20k left to invest $6k for the body + $2-14k for ONE lens (of course you may purchase several), so we are talking five digit figures here.

If you are not EARNING money with your photos, they make no sense whatsoever.

Look at the great photographers of the 20th century - Brassai, Capa, Mapplethorpe, etc and look at the rig they used. It's glaringly obvious that great photos are made in the head of the photographer, not by his/her kit.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Please, no! 😀
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:59 am
Original Poster

The 2 Leica Noctilux Lenses in the lineup 50 and 75 are great lenses..
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:09 am
Suspended

I think you misunderstood the question...we want to see what great work these lenses have produced. The lenses themselves we can see better pictures of on the Leica website!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
I think you misunderstood the question...we want to see what great work these lenses have produced. The lenses themselves we can see better pictures of on the Leica website!
I agree if he/she is going to post pictures of a camera, at least post pictures TAKEN by the camera itself. I don't care to see an iPhone photo of a camera...that seems a bit strange...
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:51 pm
Suspended

I agree if he/she is going to post pictures of a camera, at least post pictures TAKEN by the camera itself. I don't care to see an iPhone photo of a camera...that seems a bit strange...
That's what I meant. I'd like to see some high quality photography from those Leicas. And I'm pretty sure OP is a 'he'...go back a few posts!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

That's what I meant. I'd like to see some high quality photography from those Leicas. And I'm pretty sure OP is a 'he'...go back a few posts!

.! My pictures from my Apple iPhone 2 are adequate for me ..!

Last edited by bulbmogul; Dec 4, 2020 at 12:57 am
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
That has zero bearing on ownership quite honestly...! My pictures from my Apple iPhone 2 are adequate for me ..!
So then why even own an expensive camera if you aren't going to use it? I mean that's ridiculous...it has zero utility to you if not being used for the purpose for which it is designed. I don't think I've ever bought anything that I wouldn't use...the logic of it makes no sense to me.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
So then why even own an expensive camera if you aren't going to use it? I mean that's ridiculous...it has zero utility to you if not being used for the purpose for which it is designed. I don't think I've ever bought anything that I wouldn't use...the logic of it makes no sense to me.
It goes back to the same reason why he has 2 dozen Rimowas and keeps on posting dozens of unsolicited pictures of them here:
To impress(?) internet strangers.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
It goes back to the same reason why he has 2 dozen Rimowas and keeps on posting dozens of unsolicited pictures of them here:
To impress(?) internet strangers.
Ahh I guess that makes sense. But does he really think posting pictures of material objects is impressive? I mean...I tend to think people are deeper than that. I'm impressed by those who have extraordinary skills or talents or can utilize objects such as cameras and paint brushes to create amazing works of art. I guess I don't understand how a multi-thousand dollar possession is impressive...it just seems wasteful to me if not utilized for the purpose it is intended for. I imagine many people on this forum could go out and purchase a Leica camera if they so wanted so how is that even exclusive?

Guess it just perplexes me as to what bulb mogul is trying to accomplish.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Rimowa's new travel bags will be available on January 14th😃
The Never Still Collection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.