FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   RIMOWA Luggage Brand Protection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/2024649-rimowa-luggage-brand-protection.html)

bulbmogul Sep 7, 2020 7:19 am

RIMOWA Luggage Brand Protection

To me it sure looks like Rimowa has the brand protected over the last several years since the take over. All these places that were selling the luggage at those big discounted prices are now long gone.. I myself being a Rimowa fanatic really liked seeing that with the brand... No more KD etc etc etc...! Whats others thoughts..?

Chris2013 Sep 7, 2020 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bulbmogul (Post 32657918)
To me it sure looks like Rimowa has the brand protected over the last several years since the take over. All these places that were selling the luggage at those big discounted prices are now long gone.. I myself being a Rimowa fanatic really liked seeing that with the brand... No more KD etc etc etc...! Whats others thoughts..?

I think Tumi and Rimowa do a great job at keeping the brand exclusive and not letting their product be found at discount stores. Having boutiques in high-end shopping districts also adds to the brand cachet. I do wish Rimowa would have airport locations as thats when many people have the most amount of free time to browse for new luggage. I usually hit up the Tumi store in the airport and check out the new styles and if something really catches my eye, I'll order it when I get home. I think Rimowa could grow their customer base if they followed suit. Nothing like a captive audience with disposable income to sell expensive luggage.

bulbmogul Sep 7, 2020 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Chris2013 (Post 32658066)
I think Tumi and Rimowa do a great job at keeping the brand exclusive and not letting their product be found at discount stores. Having boutiques in high-end shopping districts also adds to the brand cachet. I do wish Rimowa would have airport locations as thats when many people have the most amount of free time to browse for new luggage. I usually hit up the Tumi store in the airport and check out the new styles and if something really catches my eye, I'll order it when I get home. I think Rimowa could grow their customer base if they followed suit. Nothing like a captive audience with disposable income to sell expensive luggage.

I hardly ever ever been to a international airport that does not have a huge flagship store.. Large Shopping mall Worldwide have huge flagship stores.. Was in Seoul recently and spent several hours in the Rimowa Shop.

Chris2013 Sep 7, 2020 9:09 am

Originally Posted by bulbmogul (Post 32658107)
I hardly ever ever been to a international airport that does not have a huge flagship store.. Large Shopping mall Worldwide have huge flagship stores.. Was in Seoul recently and spent several hours in the Rimowa Shop.

I was talking domestic. Yes, International airports are far ahead of the US in terms of the quality and quantity of their shopping/dining/just about everything. I fly domestically 80% of the time and I'd really like to see the US take some cues from Europe/Asia in this area.

bulbmogul Sep 7, 2020 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Chris2013 (Post 32658130)
I was talking domestic. Yes, International airports are far ahead of the US in terms of the quality and quantity of their shopping/dining/just about everything. I fly domestically 80% of the time and I'd really like to see the US take some cues from Europe/Asia in this area.

I am also in the States like you part time and from what I can gather, there are lots and lots of Rimowa Flagship Stores or you can buy online and have it shipped directly to you. I am wanting to buy me one of these Rimowa Aluminum Apple 11 Pro Max Phone Covers... Have you also noticed the new colored wheel sets you can buy and soup up your carry on luggage..? $170.00 for a set.... :)

hornillas1 Sep 8, 2020 4:48 am

RIMOWA, yes.

Tumi, no. lol

Tumi can be found at discount retailers like TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack and Off Saks Fifth.

LVMH has better control, than Samsonite, in product distribution to retail stores and authorized retailers.

LondonElite Sep 8, 2020 5:02 am

Tumi is in every decent outlet mall. Nothing special about the brand anymore.

GUWonder Sep 8, 2020 6:07 am

Don't count on the Rimowa iPhone cases working well with wireless charging. One of the main reasons why I would avoid some phone case nowadays.

Originally Posted by Chris2013 (Post 32658130)

I dislike the shopping mall experience at airports in Europe and Asia where it means having to navigate via channels of more crowded areas set up to maximize foot traffic at retailers and even slow down passenger flows somewhat in order to do that and increase retail sales revenue and profits for the airport owner/operator.

Given how airlines charge for baggage fees, how airlines handle baggage and the inconveniences of having checked luggage when it could otherwise be avoidable, buying luggage at airports has limited attraction for me. If I were to be replacing a bag on the fly, it can be very convenient, but likely not the best deal -- especially if I've already hit the duty free limit for a trip or otherwise was going to do so.

bulbmogul Sep 8, 2020 7:36 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32659939)
Tumi is in every decent outlet mall. Nothing special about the brand anymore.

One can find Tumi just about everywhere but you play hell trying to find RIMOWA at any of these low ball discount joints . LV really has put the clamps on it for Rimowa ever since the take over... I think the recognition of the brand name is even higher now for some reason...

LondonElite Sep 8, 2020 7:40 am

Originally Posted by bulbmogul (Post 32660218)
One can find Tumi just about everywhere but you play hell trying to find RIMOWA at any of these low ball discount joints . LV really has put the clamps on it for Rimowa ever since the take over... I think the recognition of the brand name is even higher now for some reason...

But quality has gone sharply downhill since LV takeover.

bulbmogul Sep 8, 2020 7:40 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 32660029)
Don't count on the Rimowa iPhone cases working well with wireless charging. One of the main reasons why I would avoid some phone case nowadays.

I dislike the shopping mall experience at airports in Europe and Asia where it means having to navigate via channels of more crowded areas set up to maximize foot traffic at retailers and even slow down passenger flows somewhat in order to do that and increase retail sales revenue and profits for the airport owner/operator.

Given how airlines charge for baggage fees, how airlines handle baggage and the inconveniences of having checked luggage when it could otherwise be avoidable, buying luggage at airports has limited attraction for me. If I were to be replacing a bag on the fly, it can be very convenient, but likely not the best deal -- especially if I've already hit the duty free limit for a trip or otherwise was going to do so.

I was several times to Dubai within the last year and both times came back with another carry on from the Rimowa Shop at the Dubai Mal witch I just love..
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0a6b5683d.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bdccfa228.jpeg

Chris2013 Sep 8, 2020 7:41 am

Originally Posted by hornillas1 (Post 32659919)
RIMOWA, yes.

Tumi, no. lol

Tumi can be found at discount retailers like TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack and Off Saks Fifth.

LVMH has better control, than Samsonite, in product distribution to retail stores and authorized retailers.

Never seen Tumi at a TJ Maxx but Saks Off 5th and Nordstrom rack also carry Versace, Oscar de la Renta, Prada, etc which are exclusive luxury brands and aren't diminished by being sold through them.

I do agree that LVMH does have a better grip on its distribution but doesn't change the fact that these two brands compete for the same buyer pool looking for high-end luggage. I'd venture to guess about 90% of people looking to spend upwards of $500 on a suitcase are debating between Tumi and Rimowa.

bulbmogul Sep 8, 2020 7:42 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32660230)
But quality has gone sharply downhill since LV takeover.

We all sure have our opinions for sure

Chris2013 Sep 8, 2020 7:46 am

Originally Posted by bulbmogul (Post 32660218)

I don't think the "masses" probably know what parent company owns either Tumi or Rimowa. This site in an anomaly for frequent fliers who know every aspect of luggage/flights/points/etc.

LondonElite Sep 8, 2020 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Chris2013 (Post 32660232)
I'd venture to guess about 90% of people looking to spend upwards of $500 on a suitcase are debating between Tumi and Rimowa.

There is a much bigger world out there. I'd put the number at maybe 10% deciding between the two. Maybe 50% of people have those in their wider pool of consideration.