Wiki Posts
Search

Briggs and Riley @ Costco

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Spotted quiet a few here at the Summerlin store in Las Vegas
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:08 am

and people are selling it on Ebay for profit.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Briggs-R...item2a2c1068b5
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
I just picked one up today in Austin. Only a few and all in black. (It has to join our existing B & R Baseline collection of 6 olive bags.)

At first glance the handle doesn't seem as sturdy as my 10 yo baseline but it is at least 1" shorter so it appears to be fully legal for US airlines as well as some in Europe.

A great deal for the price.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DBruce49
I just picked one up today in Austin. Only a few and all in black. (It has to join our existing B & R Baseline collection of 6 olive bags.)

At first glance the handle doesn't seem as sturdy as my 10 yo baseline but it is at least 1" shorter so it appears to be fully legal for US airlines as well as some in Europe.

A great deal for the price.
can you please post the item number?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
Same as in post #34:

Costco Item 670821
BRIGGS & RILEY
21" BASELINE CARRY ON
BLACK
$189.99

BTW from my measurements it meets the 22" x 14" x 9" near-universal US limit. There should even be room to expand it a bit.

I also noted that some airlines such as UA indicate the rule is 45 linear inches or 22 x 14 x 9. Using logic or Boolean algebra, then any bag that meets the rule of 45" is legal; the 22 x 14 x 9 is superfluous and merely an example. However that may not be how some interpret it. (This is why our attorney friends add that phrase "without limiting the generality of the foregoing" when adding examples.) End of opinion piece.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Thx, DBruce... That post was old enough that I thought it would be worth checking

ETA: Several in stock at the San Juan Capistrano store (CA). Stock check done at another store yesterday said 12 but I only saw about six or eight on the floor. Our B&R collection is now at 12 pieces. No, we are not obsessed

To the poster who asked why they're so inexpensive, it's a discontinued model.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jun 8, 2013 at 1:47 pm Reason: Added data point
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
I purchased the 21 inch baseline at a Costco about 6 weeks back. Since my only trips since then have been day trips, I left it in the box. Just opened the box now to find that someone stuck a used, cheap (non Briggs and Riley) piece in there (even wrapped back in the Briggs outer wrapping plastic bag) and returned it to Costco. Now I have to explain to Costco that it wasn't me....

There weren't anymore in the Costco I got it from, hopefully I can find one in the area.

I know this post didn't add much to this thread, just venting -- as this is one of the few places people would understand the disappointment of opening a new piece of good luggage to find out that it is a used piece of junk. I'll follow up if I get any grief from Costco, which I'm not expecting.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I purchased the 21 inch baseline at a Costco about 6 weeks back. Since my only trips since then have been day trips, I left it in the box. Just opened the box now to find that someone stuck a used, cheap (non Briggs and Riley) piece in there (even wrapped back in the Briggs outer wrapping plastic bag) and returned it to Costco. Now I have to explain to Costco that it wasn't me....

There weren't anymore in the Costco I got it from, hopefully I can find one in the area.

I know this post didn't add much to this thread, just venting -- as this is one of the few places people would understand the disappointment of opening a new piece of good luggage to find out that it is a used piece of junk. I'll follow up if I get any grief from Costco, which I'm not expecting.
Sounds awful. I have a tendency to buy things online and not open them until I need them (which could be long after) -- I need to rethink that strategy.

Good luck in Costco, and bad luck to the thief that took advantage of Costco.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Originally Posted by TravlnD
Sounds awful. I have a tendency to buy things online and not open them until I need them (which could be long after) -- I need to rethink that strategy.

Good luck in Costco, and bad luck to the thief that took advantage of Costco.
I had that experience at Costco thrice and they made good the proper product for me everytime.

I have notices that Costco is checking the content in the box of higher price items more frequently now. It is probably due to them being taken advantage of. One returnee in front of me had her return denied due to missing content.

I should open all my online parcels upon receipt too, thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
As a follow up, Costco did refund my money. They did a search, and one person returned this bag a few days after purchasing. That same person also returned a TV, a computer and some other electronic items, all a few days after purchase. They rightfully wouldn't give me any more information or talk about if they do anything legally, but that person won't be a Costco member anymore. I feel bad for whoever bought the computer or TV missing parts (or being something else entirely.

They did a search for me, nearest Costco with any in stock is about 45-60 minutes away. They had 4 in stock, but won't hold any for me, so hopefully one will be there when I get there tomorrow.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
They did a search for me, nearest Costco with any in stock is about 45-60 minutes away. They had 4 in stock, but won't hold any for me, so hopefully one will be there when I get there tomorrow.
That has also been my experience, with the Costco code they will search warehouses nearby.

The warehouse with stock will not hold items; I guess it is too much trouble to pull the item and hold it somewhere for someone who might not show up with the Costco business model.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
As a follow up, Costco did refund my money. They did a search, and one person returned this bag a few days after purchasing. That same person also returned a TV, a computer and some other electronic items, all a few days after purchase. They rightfully wouldn't give me any more information or talk about if they do anything legally, but that person won't be a Costco member anymore. I feel bad for whoever bought the computer or TV missing parts (or being something else entirely.

Glad to hear that the issue was resolved peacefully.

Originally Posted by tentseller
That has also been my experience, with the Costco code they will search warehouses nearby.

The warehouse with stock will not hold items; I guess it is too much trouble to pull the item and hold it somewhere for someone who might not show up with the Costco business model.
Back to January this year, when I went to a Costco warehouse to check the bag I wanted to purchase, I found that only one floor model left. They helped me located another warehouse with a few pieces in stock, then I made a phone call to that warehouse to ask for a physical check. I was told that they did have one in unopened box and would hold it for me until next day (I did provide a 2 hour time window that I would be there). All worked fine. Maybe it's really depend on who you talked to?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
Glad to hear that the issue was resolved peacefully.

Back to January this year, when I went to a Costco warehouse to check the bag I wanted to purchase, I found that only one floor model left. They helped me located another warehouse with a few pieces in stock, then I made a phone call to that warehouse to ask for a physical check. I was told that they did have one in unopened box and would hold it for me until next day (I did provide a 2 hour time window that I would be there). All worked fine. Maybe it's really depend on who you talked to?
I'm sure some Costco employees would bend the rules. I thought for sure with my sob story of buying one and having it be the wrong item, they might for me, but no dice.

Either way, a very happy end. I headed up there today, they had 5 in-box and 2 floor models. Not only did I get one, but the one I purchased prior was at $189.99. They now seem to be on clearance for $129.97, so I got to save $60 for the hassles. If anyone needs one, now is a good time to buy before they are all out, still some left in Gaithersburg, MD. And check those boxes!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:33 am

$139.97 in Norwalk CT; $50 less than a week or so ago. Just a few left...
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:05 am

Thanks guys! Got one at Costco in Chino Hills (had to drive 45 minutes lol) yesterday. There were at least 5 left in boxes there. $129.97. I almost ordered a brand new U122CX the other day but opted for this instead.

Last edited by chillstatus; Aug 26, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.