Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Briggs and Riley @ Costco

Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX PLAT

My 10 year old Atlantic Luggage finally gave in after nearly 1 million miles... Research on this forum has made me lean towards B+R. Costco seems to be liquidating the older baseline model... u420XW-18 in chocolate. $189

I swung by and took a look and I was wondering if this model is different than the ones sold by B+R (ex, is it a special costco run with lesser quality).

Things I noticed -- no "handle" on the bottom of the bag for when you go-wheels out... handle seems a little "twisty".

I am heading to a bigger store to do some side-by-side but I am wondering if I passed a good deal up?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:13 pm

I purchased one from Costco a few weeks ago (chocolate). It does indeed have nylon fabric based handle on the bottom. It is flush with the case so may be hard to see. As far as I can tell it is exactly the same as those that were discontinued by B+R (replaced by the new 2012 versions). Here is the main thread about this bag:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ravellers.html

Regards, Peter
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Got mine from Costco. The top and side handles are nice big leather handles. The bottom handle is almost like a pocket in the nylon for you to grab - and it is hard to see. My B&R Transcend pieces have the same type of bottom handle, (and they are not from Costco), I believe this is how they are all designed.

I don't believe there is a special Costco addition - this is a good way to clear out older models, but even if it was, with both a B&R lifetime warranty, and incredible Costco return policy, I don't think you can find a better value.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX PLAT
Thanks.. I must have not looked closely enough at the bottom of the bag... I was already getting strange looks comparing the BR and Tumi while in the store --- and store security probably didn't like it when I took some kirkland brand goodies and tested the sizing for the shirts.

Now I guess I have to decide if the old model is good enough or if I need to consider the new one.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC*E, A3*S, SPG Gold
It's the real deal. Picked one up a few months ago and it's been a solid addition for a great price.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:30 am

FYI - I was in the Issaquah Costco on Wednesday and excited to see that they had four of these chocolate B+R's on the floor. But my new bride wouldn't let me buy it. Too ugly. She'd rather spend twice as much. Go figure.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by meadorbd
FYI - I was in the Issaquah Costco on Wednesday and excited to see that they had four of these chocolate B+R's on the floor. But my new bride wouldn't let me buy it. Too ugly. She'd rather spend twice as much. Go figure.
Costco has a good return policy, see if you can't convince her to bring it home and give it a try. I thought the same thing (u-g-l-y)when I saw it in the store, but after one trip the color had completely grown on me, and now I actually admire it. I've always been a black only luggage guy, but I'm ready to branch out.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:09 pm

Just picked one up, looking forward to giving it a try.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Its a solid price. The lock it comes with is a 3 number combo lock with a cable locking device.

Costco now has it marked with an asterisk so it will be going back to the vendor real soon in order to make room for new items. If you can grab one, its a solid deal with two lifetime warranties. Both Costco and B&R still offer a lifetime warranty. B&R is funny now as they will "sell" you a repair kit in lieu of you mailing it back for them to repair it for free;-)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've done the bit of trying to do a trial packing in the COSTCO and have never been watched or felt that I was.

The Costco guarantee is honest and easy to get honored.

I am very devoted to Red Oxx bags but now and then need a bag with wheels for a specific task or situation. I've also bought bags at Costco for foreign visitors who had a bag failure while traveling.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
They have 3 (plus a scuffed floor model) left at the Costco in Chantilly, VA (just south of IAD). Picked one up today, looking forward to using it.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ctbarron
They have 3 (plus a scuffed floor model) left at the Costco in Chantilly, VA (just south of IAD). Picked one up today, looking forward to using it.
Oh man, good price. Need to go visit the local Costcos...
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:31 pm

Please don't discount Swiss Army. I love their Victorinox line their other lines look good. I was looking at Briggs and Riely but as you stated did not like that they send you a repair kit versus you sending it back to them for repairs. Swiss Army will send you a label and you then send it back. If they cannot repair it they will replace it with a current model gratis.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:48 pm

Black Friday is coming soon if you are willing to wait
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:42 pm

Recently bought 2 Briggs & Riley chocolate colored rollerboards further marked down from $189.99 to $139.99 apiece at Iwilei store in Honolulu, Hawaii. They were running out of stock & on Sunday only had a very few left. It is a very convenient size for bringing aboard and holds up pretty well as checked luggage. One of our relatives has logged A LOT of flights with this bag. He generally carries it aboard but we checked it & it only suffered some discoloration when the agriculatural agent put a sticker on the handle. Otherwise, the luggage holds up very nicely and is highly recommended. For the very reasonable price with the unconditional B&R warranty as well as the Costco unconditional return policy, you can't beat it! Saw THE SAME suitcase at a luggage store in different color for the full list price of $399.99!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.