Reload this Page >

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 7:13 am

Any opinion on the B&R Transcend 300 Rolling Duffle? Too easy to get over 50lbs? I have the ebags 25" motherload duffle now. Just packed it full (but not expanded) for a long trip and it was 42lbs.

http://www.ebags.com/product/briggs-...uctid=10335261
Old May 29, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Tumi seems to be less durable - than B&R - if you are considering wheeled luggage: carry-on, not checked. I have both brands - 6 or 7 Tumi bags for more than 15 years and 3 of them were the suiter rollaboard, now the Alpha 2 line. The others were (are) an aging wheeled checkin, Biz Class backpack and the 26141 expandable brief.

All of them hold up well. Hardly any fabric wear except the checkin bag which took a beating for a decade or more when trips using carryon bags wasn't an option. It's still in good shape and no problems with exterior parts or wheels.

The Tumi carry-on suiters: wheels, skid plates and corners fail after a few years dragging them up and around stairs, through snow covered sidewalks and in and out of overheads. Even when Tumi had its lifetime guarantee, I would just call them and they would send me the parts free, and I did the repairs myself. Now they charge you for parts but it's minimal. I thought it was great that Tumi still had parts for a bag that old.

I decided to go with a B&R 122 and have used it exclusively the last 18 months when my Alpha carryon suiter was in rough shape. It's lighter and the exterior parts seem to be more durable. The corners and skid parts seem less brittle.

But instead of just giving away the Alpha, like I did with its predecessor I called and Tumi sent me the parts to replace the wheels, skid plates and corners and a few other items. I shelled out about $25 this time for the parts and got them in 2 days. Except for some minor fabric wear the Alpha is now like brand new and it's about 8-9 years old.

Not everyone is interested in DIY repairs but I like doing it. It would be better if Tumi sent you the parts for free. I would call the choice between the brands a toss-up except that B&R is less expensive and probably a better choice if you are not the DIY type. But I think the Tumi computer cases and backpacks, while pricey are a better product than B&R.

Last edited by AATrout; May 29, 2015 at 8:53 am
Old May 29, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by AATrout
I think the Tumi computer cases and backpacks, while pricey are a better product than B&R.
+1
Old May 30, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We recently purchased a 21" B&R baseline and a Tumi Alpha (both sale priced) - the Baseline is my everyday bag and has probably logged 200k flight miles. Mrs. B like the Tumi. The overstuffed B&R (expando zipper) still fit easily in 747 and 767 overheads. So far they are both wearing well though admittedly we have never been forced to check either one so they haven't suffered the abuse of that our TravelPro Crew 3s have endured. I'd recommend either one. Though I wish B&R provided more useful outer pockets and less wasted space.

Our 22" and 26" TravelPro Crews are about 10 years old have logged many miles in checked luggage and overheads. They are showing their age, with zippers breaking off and frayed edges. For some reason WN baggage handlers have snapped off 3 of the leather handles (held in place by cheapo plastic). Unfortunately the closest "authorized" warranty shop is >1 hour away so we had them repaired instead at my favorite SF shop for $26 each. We'll see how they hold up but I guess I can't complain after 10 years of heavy use.

Need another 26" soft sider, was debating whether to spend +125 for B&R v. TravelPro. After reading this thread I decided to go with B&R - we'll see how it looks in another 10 years.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem

Not everyone is interested in DIY repairs but I like doing it. It would be better if Tumi sent you the parts for free. I would call the choice between the brands a toss-up except that B&R is less expensive and probably a better choice if you are not the DIY type. But I think the Tumi computer cases and backpacks, while pricey are a better product than B&R.
Up until a few weeks ago B&R would have charged you $10 fore each part. They finally got wise.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mspreh
Up until a few weeks ago B&R would have charged you $10 fore each part. They finally got wise.
.........but do they still charge you shipping?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Wow, I didn't even know that was an option. I would much prefer it to dropping my luggage off, waiting for them to send it out and analyze it, let me know their thoughts, etc. I lost my favorite bag because the zipper broke and they said I would need a store credit. I can sew - wish they would have just sent me the zipper which matches the luggage and I would have replaced it myself. Great to know this is an option - I'd much rather pay for parts for a bag that works than find a new complement to my setup.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by Mellonc
.........but do they still charge you shipping?
It used to be $10 for each item you needed, now it's free via smartpost, but more than $20 for 3 day, and $30 for 2 day. The website has changed, but my co-worker just ordered 2 repair kits last week and was pleasantly surprised by the fact that they are free now.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: www.srflyer.blogspot.com
I'm considering getting the Baseline domestic expandable carry on. Not sure of color. Would love the green but I'm thinking the suede top handle will be susceptible to scuff and the color generally will not hold up. Some say the black is the most practical especially if there is a potential of checking In the bag.
Does anyone here have the olive who could offer a point of view?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: www.srflyer.blogspot.com
Originally Posted by mspreh
It used to be $10 for each item you needed, now it's free via smartpost, but more than $20 for 3 day, and $30 for 2 day. The website has changed, but my co-worker just ordered 2 repair kits last week and was pleasantly surprised by the fact that they are free now.
Shipping is free but they add on $10 per kit ordered.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Emperorsr
I'm considering getting the Baseline domestic expandable carry on. Not sure of color. Would love the green but I'm thinking the suede top handle will be susceptible to scuff and the color generally will not hold up. Some say the black is the most practical especially if there is a potential of checking In the bag.
Does anyone here have the olive who could offer a point of view?
I don't own the olive version myself but saw another passenger using one last week. It's personal preference of course but I felt that it appeared quite dated and less premium looking than the black baseline that I was using. The suede handles certainly weren't to my taste, I felt that the same colour handle as the bag worked better. Black is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Last edited by Matrick; Dec 27, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Current: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond. Former United 1K, JetBlue Mosiac, SPG Platinum
TUMI HANDS DOWN. I copied this from my other post, but here is why

Never used B&R, but have been using Tumi for over 9 years. Their carb cases are awful, glad your staying away, but the 4 International Carry On is excellent it is my go to cabin luggage. This is for their International Carry On 4 Wheel Alpha 2 and also their Briefs and Backups are daily commuters for me.

Highlights in its career:
- in India it survived being dragged through the local streets and handled on multiple Air India domestic flights as checked luggage exceed the weight of cabin luggage. Also these aren't the streets of NYC or Mumbai I was in some outskirt cities.
- Survived being pulled through the streets of NYC multiple times and I mean miles at a time and I just drag it up cuebs,
- Survived rain storms of Taipei (not water proof but no rust and the luggage was pretty dry some items were a tad damp, but it was in heavy Monsoon rains for about 45 min)
-Survived direct sunlight of Singapore (no warping of parts)
- Fell down a escalator at ATL.
- Accidentally left in the snow of our rental homes porch when skiing last year in Jackson Hole. (Everything opened fine while frozen before thawing and did not feel brittle)
- Dragged onto a beach in FL and while camping the damp muds of new england (sprayed the wheels under the hotel sink so they would role a tad better)

Yes the plastic bottoms looked scratched, but the zippers, handle, and fabric, and wheels spin as new.

Now that I have told you how its tough. Why is it practical

1. Met EU, Asia domestic hand luggage restrictions never given any issues in both economy and business class. Can fit under the middle seat of some domestic UA 757 and has always fit in the overhead.
2. Lot of pockets, 2 side pockets for ties, close hangers for suites, front pockets for random stuff, and also you can get a Tumi toiletry kit that spits in half and is clear on one side. Maximum space usage for clothes especially if rolled, a exterior hook that can be attached for the extra bag.
3. Its expandable (though it will have be checked)
4. It has 4 wheels for stability and one hand use and it has hand is adjustable.
5. LOCAL TUMI stores if you have problems to actually talk to someone face to face. They also give loaner luggage like a car dealer when you go in for service.
6. 10 year warranty. I know people complain Tumi quality has gone down and yes it has. I can confirm, but to be honest after 5 years I would be looking to upgrade anyways. I have a Tumi brief circa 2005 that just sits in my closet. Why because the new breifs have more features. Hence I would say about 5 years life is fine me. These aren't classic cars.
7. Accessories you can buy and attachments from Tumi online or their local stores.
8. There are Tumi stores in Malls you can stop into to look at the luggage in person.
9 Zipper never have gotten stuck and can be serviced at a Tumi store.
10. Their alpha 2 collection pairs perfectly. I have multiple briefs and backpacks and they don't just match aesthetics, but they also can go over the handle to lock on the luggage.
11. Monograming, looks nice.
12. Great customer service.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:12 pm

I don't like paying a premium for a warranty ... I'll take my chances with lower cost but well designed luggage. Warranties are useless to me, they do nothing for me if I am on the road and there's a failure.

I've had good luck with Travelpro 22" (platinum II and a 5006-0063102), Eagle Creek load warriors 22" and 25" and Delsey Helium 22" and 25". My favorites are the TPs because the parts are user replaceable. The EC requires that you send them in to get the wheels replaced (this may now be different on newer models).

update 8/2021

The 22 Platinum II is still going strong.. I keep thinking it would be fun to shop for a new bag, but can't bring myself around to it since my TP PTII still looks like new. I did replace the wheels. The original wheels disintegrated on me at a hotel in Dallas and dragging the carryon around was a real drag.

Last edited by billykidd; Aug 29, 2021 at 11:23 pm
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by billykidd
they do nothing for me if I am on the road and there's a failure.
unless it's a great warranty and they overnight you a replacement where ever you are on the planet.

Also a great warranty from a small shop says, "you're never going to have a problem in the first place"
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: American
Briggs VS Tumi

I own both Briggs and Tumi, As for the way I travel Briggs wins hands down, Tumi is attractive and they are good bags but I just finished 7 years and 300,000 + miles of flights and uncountable miles of traveling by ship, train and automobile with two Briggs Baseline bags, the traveling wardrobe and a carry on garment bag. I have in both cases abused these bags and overstuffed them on events I did not have to fly to. I am now going to replace them not because they are damaged they are just worn looking.

The weight on the bags , trying to keep them under 50 pounds , Briggs wins, they are lighter bags, not much but a few pounds makes a big difference when you are traveling for a month trip. The durability of the bags is excellent , my baseline garment bag gets over packed so I do not go over on my traveling wardrobe. ( Tumi has nothing like the traveling wardrobe in a garment bag size.) I am actually surprised it has not yet broken.

Warranty is real and headache free, my earlier Briggs bags I had to bring in to my local luggage store to fix the bag extender, no charge.. My large bag got stabbed at the airport, I called Briggs for a RMA and paid to ship it to them ( about 35 from fed ex.) They fixed the rip and whatever else they deemed needing fixing. Sent it back promptly and no charge for anything including shipping. Luckily they make a product that does not require repair that often.

I do not think any of my Tumi bags could take that kind of beating but they are beautiful pieces of luggage, if I was traveling less frequently I would very much consider Tumi as my go to. I defiantly think Tumi laptop cases are better than Briggs and my next Tumi will be a laptop case.

If you are planning a lot of travel or just want bags that will last, headache free, the Briggs will win. I have not used travel Pro but I switched to Briggs and Tumi when I got tired of buying new luggage every year, other bags just could not handle the abuse.

My coworkers have changed to Briggs over the years, no one has any complaints. They are excellent bags that hold up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.