Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:55 pm

From my BOD MR via MRS

Morning flights
Attached Images    
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Anne Smithson
Morning flights
Love the turbines and their downwind affect!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
First time i saw it, or can remember at least Super cool to see!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
+1. So cool!!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:21 pm

There are so many great photos in this group and I compliment all of you photographers of the images. I am almost ashamed to post mine sometimes, especially after seeing how the resolution is trashed on the photos posted here. These are two night time shots taken while on approach to CVG on March 8, 2017.
Attached Images   

Last edited by makeUturn; Mar 9, 2017 at 5:12 pm Reason: Added missing period after second sentence
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by makeUturn
I am almost ashamed to post mine sometimes
No need, those are lovely! Night shots always turn out a disappointing, blurry soup of lights for me. What's your secret?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by waffle
No need, those are lovely! Night shots always turn out a disappointing, blurry soup of lights for me. What's your secret?
Thank you. They look much better on a higher resolution source than the resolution of photos posted here.

I am still working on the "magic recipe" for night time flight shots. I keep experimenting and seem to be getting closer to the desired settings. On these two shots, the shutter was set at 1/20, ISO at 2500, and the aperture at f 2.5, but focus was on auto. The camera I am using at the moment allows me to manually focus, but it will automatically go into the macro mode when it detects something up close, like the airplane window. I have looked and looked and not found a way to stop that from happening yet. I think when I do find that, I can set the focus at infinity and the image will be better focused than what the auto usually does. Also I am going to try the next shutter speed faster. I have found it better to slightly underexpose night time photos and correct in processing if necessary.

Last edited by makeUturn; Mar 9, 2017 at 5:11 pm
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:28 am

Oh wow, that's not bad for ISO 2500, I'd have expected more noise. Also, I'm somehow always hesitant to shoot landscapes with so wide an aperture, but it makes perfect sense in this situation where you're not going to be able to keep the camera steady for a one-second exposure. Thanks, I know what I'll be doing on my next night flight!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by waffle
Oh wow, that's not bad for ISO 2500, I'd have expected more noise. Also, I'm somehow always hesitant to shoot landscapes with so wide an aperture, but it makes perfect sense in this situation where you're not going to be able to keep the camera steady for a one-second exposure. Thanks, I know what I'll be doing on my next night flight!
I looked again and the iris was actually f 3.5. I am hoping others here will offer their preferred settings. I find if I go higher, then the window blemishes and reflections show more in the image. One thing you might notice is that the focus gets progressively worse from the top to the bottom of the image. That is because I was pointed down and not straight through the window. A higher f stop might help with that problem. It is always nice when the plane tilts down a bit so that a shot can be taken straight through the window instead of at an angle. The pilots are not always considerate enough to do that for those of us trying to snap a photo.

Last edited by makeUturn; Mar 10, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:27 pm

The pilots are not always considerate enough to do that for those of us trying to snap a photo.
Ugh, I know. Nor are they ever considerate enough to stop in mid-air for a few seconds so you can get a good, steady shot and play around with the settings a bit.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

First hint of sunrise as AA 174 from RDU approaches LHR.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:28 am

Here a picture of the sky 6 seconds exposure ISO 6400 Canon EF 24-105L @ 24 f/4.
It is taken through the door window of the A380 (EK449) and the Fresnel on the lower part of the window makes the foreground blurry.

Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Thank you. They look much better on a higher resolution source than the resolution of photos posted here.

I am still working on the "magic recipe" for night time flight shots. I keep experimenting and seem to be getting closer to the desired settings. On these two shots, the shutter was set at 1/20, ISO at 2500, and the aperture at f 2.5, but focus was on auto. The camera I am using at the moment allows me to manually focus, but it will automatically go into the macro mode when it detects something up close, like the airplane window. I have looked and looked and not found a way to stop that from happening yet. I think when I do find that, I can set the focus at infinity and the image will be better focused than what the auto usually does. Also I am going to try the next shutter speed faster. I have found it better to slightly underexpose night time photos and correct in processing if necessary.
Great shots! What camera are you using?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by airsurfer
Here a picture of the sky 6 seconds exposure ISO 6400 Canon EF 24-105L @ 24 f/4.
It is taken through the door window of the A380 (EK449) and the Fresnel on the lower part of the window makes the foreground blurry.
Oh wow, it's amazing how many stars you managed to capture through the window of a flying plane (and I like how part of the Emirates logo is subtly reflected in the bottom right). Your photo really captures some of the magic of flying for me.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Great shots! What camera are you using?
A Canon G7x. It is small enough to travel with me in my computer bag, but has a wide range of manual settings that can be used when the auto function is not effective. It also stores images in a RAW format for better post processing capabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.