Reload this Page >

Why I love flying, in an image...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I love flying, in an image...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:50 pm

This might should be titled what I don't love about flying. Up before dawn for a flight out of HSV.

I have started an album on my Flickr page for photos taken during flight. You are welcomed to take a look at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/530199...57672624644700
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:12 pm

Great picture. How do you do you eliminate the window glare?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AltaBound
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_...idence_(optics)
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by AltaBound
Thanks for the compliment. In this case, there was very little window glare. I was able to press myself and phone camera up to the glass to block what little was there.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by makeUturn
Thanks for the compliment. In this case, there was very little window glare. I was able to press myself and phone camera up to the glass to block what little was there.
The capacity of camera phones continues to blow my mind. Great shot!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:05 pm

Great shot!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
The capacity of camera phones continues to blow my mind. Great shot!
Blows my mind also. I took the same shot with a 20MP Canon G7x and this one for a quick shot to text to my wife. Turned out the photo shot with the cell phone looked much better than the one taken by the Canon.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:42 pm

Blows my mind also. I took the same shot with a 20MP Canon G7x and this one for a quick shot to text to my wife. Turned out the photo shot with the cell phone looked much better than the one taken by the Canon.
Probably on a small screen in a text. But if you took both files and wanted to post process them you'll have much more latitude, most likely, with the Canon or things that shoot RAW. That's the trouble when shooting for clients, I typically do not show them anything on the back of the monitor (unless I'm shooting tethered to Capture One) because I am shooting to have the best raw file I can...not trying to show them what a processed JPEG would look like.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Probably on a small screen in a text. But if you took both files and wanted to post process them you'll have much more latitude, most likely, with the Canon or things that shoot RAW. That's the trouble when shooting for clients, I typically do not show them anything on the back of the monitor (unless I'm shooting tethered to Capture One) because I am shooting to have the best raw file I can...not trying to show them what a processed JPEG would look like.
I agree. When I expand this image, I can see the lack of resolution and loss of colors compared to the processed RAW and JPEG image from the Canon. In this case however, the lack of excellent reproduction helped. In the Canon image I can see dirty spots in window and discoloration splotches in the sunrise colors due to the uneven tinting of the glass. The contrast range is also skewered by the tinted glass. I could spend a lot of time removing the problems and fixing the Canon image, but the lack of image and color resolution in the cell phone camera did that work for me in this particular shot.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:14 pm

I agree. When I expand this image, I can see the lack of resolution and loss of colors compared to the processed RAW and JPEG image from the Canon. In this case however, the lack of excellent reproduction helped. In the Canon image I can see dirty spots in window and discoloration splotches in the sunrise colors due to the uneven tinting of the glass. The contrast range is also skewered by the tinted glass. I could spend a lot of time removing the problems and fixing the Canon image, but the lack of image and color resolution in the cell phone camera did that work for me in this particular shot.
Gotcha and there are many times that I would rather just whip my phone out for it's pluses knowing that the minuses really won't matter since it's just for an Instagram or Facebook post.

It's when people complain about taking a pic with their iphone and then ordering from some online print site and it comes out cruddy and look at me incredulous when I tell them "well, it's still really not a camera made to print big things" and is just to look pretty on a small 5" backlit saturated screen.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:53 pm

This one was a couple years in the making.

After a long break from flying, my first trip was to NYC via Toronto. Thinking we'd just fly directly into LGA, I didn't get my camera out, which left me without pictures as we flew out over the harbour and then back up the east side of Manhattan to land.

Got the chance to travel through NYC a couple weeks ago, so I booked the same flight, this time with my camera in hand.

We didn't follow quite the same path, but close enough, and with the same brilliant sunny weather.

Maybe it worked out for the best--if I'd had the camera out first time, I'd've spent my time taking pictures instead of enjoying the unforgettable view.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Bridges on Ohio River and Downtown Cincinnati
Attached Images  
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:25 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)

Sunrise, Bangkok by Brian, on Flickr

Bubbles at FL400 by Brian, on Flickr
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Morning sun on a red-eye

The morning sun breaks through an open shade on a recent red-eye. Maybe this belongs in the "why I hate flying, in an image.. thread"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.