Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I don't have the Oly 25mm, I opted instead for the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 for the extra speed. At any rate, for my tastes, the 25mm is just a tad too long for casual walk-around use. I use mine primarily for interiors where flash is not an option.

The 17mm is a fine lens and would work admirably if you really want a prime. I might counsel at least a look at the Oly 9-18mm. The UWA lens offers a lot of utility for street use and is very small. The Oly 7-14mm Pro is a great lens but really large and heavy for carrying around.

Again, if you prefer a prime, that 17 f/1.8 is very good. I keep mine on my back-up PM2, switching it occasionally to the EM1 to make the main camera "smaller." I think if you poll a dozen Oly shooters, you will get a dozen preferences. Other than the two you mention, you might also look at the excellent and very popular Panny 20mm f/1.7.
I had looked at the Olympus 9-18mm but it was only f4.0-5.6 while the 17mm was f1.8 which makes a world of difference. The Panasonic 15mm f1.7 (Leica glass) is $549 while the Olympus 17mm f1.8 is $449. The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 was only $269 but I recall reading on DPR it doesn't compare to the Olympus 17mm or the Panasonic 15mm and I would rather invest in good glass upfront.

That being said I am returning a backpack to B&H today and will look at the options.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I had looked at the Olympus 9-18mm but it was only f4.0-5.6 while the 17mm was f1.8 which makes a world of difference. The Panasonic 15mm f1.7 (Leica glass) is $549 while the Olympus 17mm f1.8 is $449. The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 was only $269 but I recall reading on DPR it doesn't compare to the Olympus 17mm or the Panasonic 15mm and I would rather invest in good glass upfront.

That being said I am returning a backpack to B&H today and will look at the options.
Of the primes, the only one I have found that compares favorably with the 17mm when IQ is the only factor is the Oly 12mm f/2, which I have and like. The only problem there is that is likely a little TOO wide for street use. It sure works great indoors though.

I know you didn't ask, but the 45mm f/1.8 is a killer small portrait lens.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: most of them
I have the Oly 7-14 PRO. It's really not much bigger or heavier than the 12-40. Balances very nicely on the E-M1. And it's built like a tank. Dropped mine visiting the Bayon in Siem Reap and feared that it was $1100 down the drain but it just has a little scratch on the barrel and works perfectly fine.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:17 am
Suspended

I would like to have a compact camera, 20-100 mm with a 1/1.7 or larger sensor.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:50 am

Yes it is a tad heavy and half of the total weight of the body and lens combined comes from the 12-40mm pro lens. The IQ on this lens is amazing. The 40-150mm 4.0-5.6 lens is plastic is extremely light weight in comparison but virtually everyone who commented on it on DPReview recommended it for really good IQ and also it has a good bang for the buck at the current $149 sale price.

The OM-D E-M5 Mark II body is weather resistant which is great for outdoor shooting and has a really solid build. I was lucky and managed to locate one of the limited edition titanium models available in the US at Adorama, everyone else was sold out. Compared to the black and silver bodies that you always see the titanium body is simply beautiful.

My next investment after these two zoom lenses is to select a nice walk around the city type everyday prime lens. I am torn between two Olympus primes that are currently on sale on their website. The 17mm f1.8 is $449 and the 25mm f1.8 is $349. They are both lightweight and have received really good reviews for their IQ. Which one do you like better and what are the pros and cons?
Awesome! You'll love the Oly. Just spent about a wk in NYC with the same camera paired with the 12-40...weight wasn't bad at all.

Can't go wrong with the 17...I did sell mine as I found that focal length too hard to use
Old May 12, 2016, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Not sure about convenience of traveling with a drone, but on the last two trips I totally wished I had access to one. Having one at safari would have been really cool, and when I visited Myanmar in over Christmas I really wished I could shoot some of the pagodas from the air (most popular ones did have signs in English prohibiting the use of drones around them, so I suspect I wasn't the only one with this idea).
Yeah when I look at drone choices, the popular DJI Phantom models would require probably a bag the size of your full carryon. There is one from ThinkTank that will also let you put in a Phantom, laptop and some accessories.

And the integrated camera is 1/2.3 inch so it's tiny, not even the size of the 1-inch sensor in the RX100.

For cameras with larger sensors, I don't see how you can take a drone on a carryon, unless you can disassemble them or something. The cost goes up a lot as you increase the sensor size, which means a heavier camera, which means a bigger drone.

But people do post beautiful videos, including 4K videos.

I suspect if you blow up the stills and watched the videos on a large screen though, they might not look as impressive.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I have the Oly 7-14 PRO. It's really not much bigger or heavier than the 12-40. Balances very nicely on the E-M1. And it's built like a tank. Dropped mine visiting the Bayon in Siem Reap and feared that it was $1100 down the drain but it just has a little scratch on the barrel and works perfectly fine.
You were lucky but I recommend that you speak with your insurance agent about having an all risk camera clause being added to your homeowner's policy. I added $2,000 of coverage at a cost of $33 a year and that covers issues from both drops and water damage. In addition it covers theft.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; UA; Delta; SW; Hilton
I've been using my iPhone for the past year or more, and it's been more than wonderful. However, my favorite "smaller" camera is my trusty Cannon G12 -- it takes beautiful raw photos and fantastic video. However, if I were going on safari or needed a long-distance lens, I would take along a professional camera.
Old May 13, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: *G
Yes it is a tad heavy and half of the total weight of the body and lens combined comes from the 12-40mm pro lens. The IQ on this lens is amazing. The 40-150mm 4.0-5.6 lens is plastic is extremely light weight in comparison but virtually everyone who commented on it on DPReview recommended it for really good IQ and also it has a good bang for the buck at the current $149 sale price.

The OM-D E-M5 Mark II body is weather resistant which is great for outdoor shooting and has a really solid build. I was lucky and managed to locate one of the limited edition titanium models available in the US at Adorama, everyone else was sold out. Compared to the black and silver bodies that you always see the titanium body is simply beautiful.

My next investment after these two zoom lenses is to select a nice walk around the city type everyday prime lens. I am torn between two Olympus primes that are currently on sale on their website. The 17mm f1.8 is $449 and the 25mm f1.8 is $349. They are both lightweight and have received really good reviews for their IQ. Which one do you like better and what are the pros and cons?
i had the 40-150R on sale for 99$. At most focal length and aperture that thing was fantastic. Only problem is the slower aperture, when combined with the angle of view, even with IBIS, kinda limits you on shutter speed.

Now i run the 40-150pro which is just superb, and awesome weight/build/size for the capability...but obviously still far far heavier and larger than the R

i dont REALLY see the point of the 17 prime when the 12-40 covers that length AND is not really that much bulky, body-considered. (if you were using a PEN, or GM1, or other compact body, different story...)

the 25 and 45 both i find utterly superb value and performance. but once again, due to the overlap with the 12-40 i rarely rarely carry them around unless specifically shooting in low-light-only situation
Old May 13, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by deniah
Now i run the 40-150pro which is just superb, and awesome weight/build/size for the capability...but obviously still far far heavier and larger than the R
I find holding the 40-150/2.8 awkward, it's just not comfortable....the EM5 MK II is just too small/light when paired with it. So, it's gets little use.
Old May 13, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: most of them
In good light the 40-150R is great. At $100 it is a total bargain. I shot some racing at Saratoga and some soccer with it a few years ago and it produced some excellent shots.

The 40-150PRO is obviously a very different tool...much bigger, heavier and more expensive. But it is fantastic for closeup insect shots among other things. The minimum focus distance of all the PRO lenses are amazing.
Old May 14, 2016, 6:53 am

As of now my favorite while travelling is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4. Well, this camera is really great and modern looking. This one has the advantages of using the micro 4/3 format.
Old May 14, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Troopers
I find holding the 40-150/2.8 awkward, it's just not comfortable....the EM5 MK II is just too small/light when paired with it. So, it's gets little use.
seems to be the biggest diffrence with that em1 is the large deep grip. maybe an aftermarket extender helps

Originally Posted by glennaa11
The 40-150PRO is obviously a very different tool...much bigger, heavier and more expensive. But it is fantastic for closeup insect shots among other things. The minimum focus distance of all the PRO lenses are amazing.
yes on that also. shelved my 60/2.8 macro for the pro lenses when needing mag ratio in a pinch
Old May 14, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF
My issue with the Olympus mirror less designs (while extremely cool) has always been its size. They're only marginally smaller than an APSC sized DSLR but with a smaller sensor and less flexible lens options. For the folks who have one, could you guys explain to me the appeal of the M43 system?
Old May 15, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
My issue with the Olympus mirror less designs (while extremely cool) has always been its size. They're only marginally smaller than an APSC sized DSLR but with a smaller sensor and less flexible lens options. For the folks who have one, could you guys explain to me the appeal of the M43 system?
I don't know ow you could say "less flexible lens options" as the biggest advantage is the extensive number of lenses available in the market at far more reasonable pricing than APS-C as micro four thirds is a format shared by both Olympus and Panasonic. The AF is compatible for both Olympus and Panasonic bodies on lenses sold by the 2 companies.

The E an FE mount lenses for APS-C bodies are definitely more money with fewer choices to select from. Also an correct me if I am wrong but for the most part the micro four thirds lenses are smaller in size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.