Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Sat Dec 27, made it to swim with the team, Noon workout ASU Rec Center pool, Short Course Yards
there was some confusion over which pool the workout was at. thankfully I arrived late, by the time I got there, the coach had arrived. some folks went to the other pool, then came back.
air temp was around 48F, water temp 82F. we had a freeze warning last night, don't think it did get that cold, but another for tonight, and they're calling for lows in the upper 20s tonight.
800 warm-up
8 x 50 'variable' @ 1 min (1/2 easy 1/2 fast, 1/2 fast 1/2 easy, build, fast x 2)
10 x 100 @ 3 min, best average....held mostly 1:07 to 1:09, did an easy 50 after each
200 easy
10 x 50 @ 1:30, best average....held 32s and 33s, did a few easy 25s between some
300 easy cool down
total around 3600, including my easy 'in between' swims

planning to do a long run (18-20 miles) tomorrow morning, however I despise running in the cold....not sure if I'll go later or bear with the cold. ideally would like to start by 8 so I'm done by 10:30. then depending how I feel, probably a gym workout later in the day, with a short (thousand-ish) swim
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sunday Dec 28: weekly long run, did it in the afternoon, started around 2:20 PM
temp at start: around 55F, at finish: around 57F. breezy off/on throughout, felt cooler, especially toward the end
I didn't drink enough water before running. I started to cramp up right around 1 mile, not a good sign. I walked a little, it subsided, and I actually started to feel pretty good. Stopped around 4-1/2 miles for a quick water break, around 7 for a quick bathroom and water break. Then around 7-1/2 miles, my iPod locked up. I walked a bit (about 1/4 to 1/2 mile) to reboot it. I had run almost exactly an hour up to that point. Originally, I had set Nike+ for 20 miles; after rebooting, I set it for a 1/2 Marathon.
Graph from Nike Plus (after initial lockup): aztimm_run_12282008
Nike+ stats-- distance: 11.19 miles, time: 1:48:14, pace: 9:45/mile, calories: 1388
initial estimate: distance: 7.5 miles, time 1 hour, pace: 8:30/mile
total estimate: distance: 19.69 miles, time: 2 hrs, 48 min, 14 sec
No, that isn't a blip in the Nike+ graph, I died about 2 miles before the end. I started to notice something was wrong while I was running past a golf course. A golf ball almost hit me, and I was pretty much oblivious to the whole thing (the golfer seemed pissed that I didn't go after his ball, it went in the canal). When I turned around at Riggs Rd, a guy passed me, I thought I might be able to keep up, but it wasn't even close. I stopped in a park for water, about 1/2 way between Chandler Heights and Ocotillo...at that point I felt like I could drink water forever. But it wasn't until I crossed McQueen, and then Queen Creek that my legs started to give out. I had to walk in spots...I tried to look for a shadow, a tree, etc and told myself I'd walk to that, then run again. Finally, I hit the final water fountain (about a mile to go)...stopped again, drank plenty of water, and somehow managed to run that final mile back.
When I finally got home, I grabbed my water, drank down a large glass immediately. Weighed myself, down at 157 (I'm normally around 165). I grabbed some PowerAid, drank 1/2 a bottle, more water, and just scarfed down a Balance Bar. I'm now feeling somewhat like I can move again.
I really don't know about a marathon. I'd still need to do ~7 more miles. I'd definitely need a plan on hydration, and probably nutrition. I seriously felt like I was going to throw up when I got home (plus I just felt like I couldn't even stand)...7 more miles would have been a major struggle. But I welcome any ideas....the Phoenix Marathon is 3 weeks from today, Jan 18. The Apache Junction is about a month later, in mid-Feb. I haven't registered for either, but both are still open for registration.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by aztimm
Sunday Dec 28: weekly long run, did it in the afternoon, started around 2:20 PM
temp at start: around 55F, at finish: around 57F. breezy off/on throughout, felt cooler, especially toward the end
I didn't drink enough water before running. I started to cramp up right around 1 mile, not a good sign. I walked a little, it subsided, and I actually started to feel pretty good. Stopped around 4-1/2 miles for a quick water break, around 7 for a quick bathroom and water break. Then around 7-1/2 miles, my iPod locked up. I walked a bit (about 1/4 to 1/2 mile) to reboot it. I had run almost exactly an hour up to that point. Originally, I had set Nike+ for 20 miles; after rebooting, I set it for a 1/2 Marathon.
Graph from Nike Plus (after initial lockup): aztimm_run_12282008
Nike+ stats-- distance: 11.19 miles, time: 1:48:14, pace: 9:45/mile, calories: 1388
initial estimate: distance: 7.5 miles, time 1 hour, pace: 8:30/mile
total estimate: distance: 19.69 miles, time: 2 hrs, 48 min, 14 sec
No, that isn't a blip in the Nike+ graph, I died about 2 miles before the end. I started to notice something was wrong while I was running past a golf course. A golf ball almost hit me, and I was pretty much oblivious to the whole thing (the golfer seemed pissed that I didn't go after his ball, it went in the canal). When I turned around at Riggs Rd, a guy passed me, I thought I might be able to keep up, but it wasn't even close. I stopped in a park for water, about 1/2 way between Chandler Heights and Ocotillo...at that point I felt like I could drink water forever. But it wasn't until I crossed McQueen, and then Queen Creek that my legs started to give out. I had to walk in spots...I tried to look for a shadow, a tree, etc and told myself I'd walk to that, then run again. Finally, I hit the final water fountain (about a mile to go)...stopped again, drank plenty of water, and somehow managed to run that final mile back.
When I finally got home, I grabbed my water, drank down a large glass immediately. Weighed myself, down at 157 (I'm normally around 165). I grabbed some PowerAid, drank 1/2 a bottle, more water, and just scarfed down a Balance Bar. I'm now feeling somewhat like I can move again.
I really don't know about a marathon. I'd still need to do ~7 more miles. I'd definitely need a plan on hydration, and probably nutrition. I seriously felt like I was going to throw up when I got home (plus I just felt like I couldn't even stand)...7 more miles would have been a major struggle. But I welcome any ideas....the Phoenix Marathon is 3 weeks from today, Jan 18. The Apache Junction is about a month later, in mid-Feb. I haven't registered for either, but both are still open for registration.
How about this, Timm. You supply the miles, I supply the entry fee, and I'll pace you through the marathon. Call it moral support. ^
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:05 am

OK, so I was drunk last night.

I might not be able to pace Tim through the whole thing, but if we can figure out a way for me to get him through the 2nd half, I'm in!

Quick update on my running over the holidays. Despite traveling and being busy, I did manage to get 30 miles in last week, which I'm quite proud of. At the beginning of the week I would have taken 15 miles!

My last post was about the 23rd, where I got 5.6 miles in (I had done 11 the day before).

On Christmas Eve I made it to the gym for a quick little 3 miler, 7:30/mile pace or 22:30 total time.

Christmas Day I didn't do anything except take my parents' dogs out for a nice long walk.

On the 26th I did two loops around a local 3 mile lake with the dogs. The first loop was 7:33/mile pace. The second the dogs slowed a bit and I did it in 7:52/mile pace.

Finally, on the 27th I got in a nice 5.12 miler in the warm Northeast weather, 6:59/mile pace or 35:47 total time.

So, total for the week was 30.61 miles. I'll try to do the same this week. Will attempt going for a long run this afternoon, probably 10-11 miles again.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:17 am

Monday Dec 29, 6am swim workout with the team
Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex, we swam in the warm-up pool (SCY)
--I didn't sleep well last night. My legs were very jumpy for at least an hour after I went to bed. Guess that's one advantage of morning runs, I usually give myself time to just veg out afterwards, when these things work themselves out
--did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home....my weight was 161
air temp: 40F, water temp: around 82F
7-800 warm-up (didn't really count)
6 x 100, started @ 1:15, added 5 sec on each. the first few were tough, and pretty much touch + go
100, 1 x 100 @ 1:25
200, 2 x 100 @ 1:30/100 pace
300, 3 x 100, long @4:30, 100s @1:35
400, 4 x 100, long @6:00, 100s @1:40
easy 200 warm-down
total: around 3500 yards
note: the 400 was supposed to be IM; other than the fastest lane, no one even attempted it. my legs were quite fried, and simply doing free for everything was tough enough

planning to stop by the gym on my way home....prolly a 5k treadmill run to get the kinks out, then mostly biceps+back weights, then maybe an easy recovery swim.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:49 pm

Got a very nice long run in today. Did it outside and decided to do a hilly route. It was nice and challenging, but I felt good throughout. Ended up doing 11.32 miles in 1:20:02 or 7:04/mile pace. ^

Alcohol consumed last night: 1 grey goose martini (a large one).
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:13 pm

Monday Dec 29, stopped by the 24 Hour Fitness @ Dobson/8th St in Mesa (Mesa Riverview) on my way home. My membership includes access at all their clubs, this is pretty convenient to my office.

started out with a short treadmill run. originally was gonna do a 5k (and that's what I set my iPod for), but decided to cut it short to get in more other stuff
graph from Nike+: aztimm_run_12292008
run details-- distance: 2.38 miles, time: 18:33, avg pace: 7:46/mile, calories: 296
my primary goal was to get out the kinks after my long run, and that was a success. I think Nike+ gave me more credit or something; according to the treadmill, I started at a 9 min pace, worked my way down to 8 min over the first 1/2 mile, then eventually down to 7:30....I think my avg was closer to 8 min.

then moved over to work on biceps and back. did the following biceps sets:
* seated preacher curl w/barbell....started at 45, then 55, 60, 70, 15 reps each
* seated preacher curl w/dumbell....did 3 sets on each arm with 37-1/2 (yea, I thought it odd they had that weight)
* machine dumbell curl, preacher-style, 3 sets, don't remember the weights
* machine dumbell curl, seated but went through more motion, 3 sets, can't remember weights
then did some back/shoulder/lats exercises, all machines:
* seated dips (this machine was evil)
* seated shoulder press
* seated lat press
* seated lat pull
had enough weights, and moved to abs
* around 50 elevated situps, then rotated in 10 with 10 lb weight, 10 w/o 3 times
* 2 rounds of 10 leg raises (I need work on this)
* 3 rounds on the "Ab-X" machine, first round 30, #2-3 20
tried to do some pull-ups, just for kicks...did a whopping 3

changed and went in the pool, more to just stretch out...
400 warm-up, started out very easy, gradually faster...last 100 was at about 85-90%
8 x 25, odd med free @ :45, even FAST fly @ :30
200 easy cool-down
then jumped in the hot tub for around 5 min
strangely, there was a sign near the pool, "NO FLIP TURNS." I pretended I didn't see it, how silly. I guess if someone doesn't know what they're doing there could be trouble, especially on the shallow side (3 feet). The pool seemed like 25 yards, just 3 lanes, but I had one to myself (doing fly will usually do that).

If it is possible, this gym is even nicer than the one near my home. So many machines, so many dumbells....heck even the showers have private stalls with room to change. This one even had a suit spinner. Guess I never knew what I was missing.

For those interested, I had a Phoenix Light Rail adventure over lunch....posted info about it here (with a pic) and here.

Last edited by aztimm; Dec 30, 2008 at 10:51 am
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:02 am

Tues Dec 30, 6am swim workout with the team, ASU Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex.
--we were in the warm-up pool again, there's a visiting age group/club team that's been using the main pool (setup LCM)
--did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home
--air temp was about 45F, the water was around 80F
600 warmup
400-300-200-100 @ :15 sec rest after each
--400 was easy free
--300 was IM, I did most of the fly 1-arm drills, tried a few strokes of full fly, but my shoulders were a bit sore from lifting.
--200 was kick. I put on my zoomers (fins), did 25 on front, 25 on back (no board), some flutter kick, some dolphin kick
--100 was non-free; I did it breast
9 x 200, in groups of 3
--#1 easy 200 free @ 3:00
--#2 negative split @ 3:00
--#3 fast broken on the 50 for :10, entire 200 @ 4:00. came in on 2:29, 2:26, 2:25 (adjusted), just didn't feel fast
easy 200 warm-down
total: around 3600 yards

planning to go to the gym again tonight. start with around 5 miles on the treadmill, then lift chest + triceps. I'd run in Tempe, but they are getting ready for the New Year's Eve Block Party, and it is a mess.

the coach told us that our annual 100 x 100's (total of 10,000 yards swimming) for 2009 will be this Saturday, starting at noon. not sure if I'll do it....I did it for 2008.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
OK, so I was drunk last night.
Wrong thread.

Enjoyed a comfortable 6 mile run at 8:00 pace followed by stationary bike and elliptical time for a 1700 cal workout which was to have been followed by a nice whirlpool & sauna wind down until I recalled holiday hours meant no pool time.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:17 pm

Nice long lifting session today followed by a run on the treadmill. For lifting I did regular bench press, chin ups, lots of bicep work, triceps, dips, incline bench press, etc. It was a good workout, my arms feel it.

Then I did an easy 5 miler, recovering from yesterday's hilly long run. Did 5 miles in 37:15 or 7:26/mile pace. Felt good. Legs a bit sore, but not bad.

Alcohol consumed last night: none.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:58 pm

Tues Dec 30, PM session at the gym
felt kinda sluggish when I left work, debated about going at all. ended up driving most of the way home and went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Arizona Ave/Pecos, here in Chandler

started out with a treadmill run. set my iPod for 5 miles. wasn't sure if I'd do that much, and according to the treadmill I did 4.3 miles; Nike+ fizzled out at around the 3 mile mark and never really got back on track....it says I only did 3.8 miles, oh well
graph from Nike+: aztimm_run_12302008
Nike+ details-- distance: 3.87 miles, time: 34:16, pace: 8:50/mile, calories: 480
I started around a 9 min/mile pace, and inched up to around 8 min over the first mile, very gradually. Around .85 miles, Foo Fighters, "Monkey Wrench," came on my iPod, and I set my pace around 7:47. What I don't get is there are around 30 treadmills, maybe 7 of them being used, plenty of empties all over....and a guy has to use the one right next to me. He walked for about 10 min. There was a guy 2 over the other way who did a marathon+ on his treadmill, looked like he was going a fast pace too.

Then I moved over to the weights....focus was chest + triceps:
* basic bench w/bar on tracks, 2 sets of 12 w/45s, 2 sets of 12 w/50s on each side (plus bar)
* elevated bench, free bar, 3 sets of 12 w/25s
* seated chest press machine, 4 sets of 12, 80-90-100-110
* chest flys w/dumbells (flat bench), 3 sets of 12 w/45s
* chest flys w/machine, 4 sets of 12, 80-90-100-110
* triceps curls w/25 dumbell, 2 sets of 10 each arm, 1 set of 10
* triceps pull down (combo machine), 3 sets of 12 w/80

all that took around 90 min, just took a quick shower and headed home (no pool this time)

I'll swim in the morning, maybe a gym workout late tomorrow (biceps/back). no swimming on Thurs-Fri, Sat is that mega set, still debating if I'll do it. Probably runs on Thurs-Fri, and a gym workout on Fri.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:36 am

Then I moved over to the weights....focus was chest + triceps:
* basic bench w/bar on tracks, 2 sets of 12 w/45s, 2 sets of 12 w/50s on each side (plus bar)
It is amazing to me how much more I can bench with the bar on tracks vs. non-tracks. I'm not sure if it is psychological (i.e. I know I don't have to worry about the weight because I have an automatic "spotter) or physical (i.e. being on tracks uses less stabilizer muscles), but I definitely feel like a badass when I'm using the tracks!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
It is amazing to me how much more I can bench with the bar on tracks vs. non-tracks. I'm not sure if it is psychological (i.e. I know I don't have to worry about the weight because I have an automatic "spotter) or physical (i.e. being on tracks uses less stabilizer muscles), but I definitely feel like a badass when I'm using the tracks!
Yes, very true. Eventually I'd like to get into a schedule and go to the same location around the same time, and maybe find someone who can spot me (I'd spot them too, if they wanted). Then I may not be as afraid of using the regular bench (non track). I remember watching a movie years back where a guy was bench pressing alone, the bar came down on his chest.

One thing I've also noticed, is there seem to be people who use free weights, and those who use machines, and little mixing of the two. I tend to do both; I think there's some benefits to both approaches.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:08 am

Yes, very true. Eventually I'd like to get into a schedule and go to the same location around the same time, and maybe find someone who can spot me (I'd spot them too, if they wanted). Then I may not be as afraid of using the regular bench (non track). I remember watching a movie years back where a guy was bench pressing alone, the bar came down on his chest.

One thing I've also noticed, is there seem to be people who use free weights, and those who use machines, and little mixing of the two. I tend to do both; I think there's some benefits to both approaches.
I agree. I try to use both as I think they work slightly different muscle groups. Or, it at least feels like they are using different muscle groups. In general I can use more weight with the machines, so that also helps boost my ego.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:17 am

Wed Dec 31, 6am swim workout with the team, ASU Mona Plummer Aquatic Center, warm-up pool (SCY)
--slept so well last night, felt like I could have easily slept another 2-3 hours when I got up this morning. My entire body seemed sore...upper body from lifting, legs from running. Although I had been lifting at home, after a few days at the gym I'm doing more, working some muscles I probably ignored, and working other muscles in different ways.
--managed to do 60 pushups and hold The Plank for 2 min before leaving home. The pushups were a major struggle, especially the last 10.
--air temp was about 50F, water around 78F
--streets were restricted in Tempe for both tonight's Insight Bowl, as well as the NYE Block Party

around 500 warmup (got there a little late)
11 x 150, supposed to be @ 10 sec rest (basically a broken mile swim, I know not a full running mile)...but the guy leading the lane was trying to keep up with the fast lane, which meant I got 1-3 sec rest on most
200 easy
1000 for time (ouch!), stopped at the 550 to get lapped, came in on 14:02, started 5 sec back, if you want to take out the time to get lapped, I came in around 13:50...somewhere around a 1:24 per 100 pace
easy 200 free warmdown
total around 3,550 yards

my chest and triceps were really burning...that mile hurt, and I got zero relief out of the 1000. oh well, I guess it builds stamina.

considering going to the gym after work today, it is open until 6pm. if I do, I'll focus on biceps + back, then a nice easy swim to stretch out, and of course some time in the hot tub.

our team's 100 x 100's is on Saturday, but I doubt I'll do it, but who knows, I may change my mind at the last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.