The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Turkey Trot 10k this morning - beautiful sunny day w/o any wind and temps in the mid 30's at race start (later in the day it hit 50). Was aiming for 7's and hit it right on the button at 43 35. Good day!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Friday Nov 28, AM Run from home along the Consolidated Canal
Nike+ Graph: aztimm_run_11282008
Run details-- distance: 9.23 miles, time: 1hr 15 min 51 sec, pace: 8:13/mile, calories: 1145
Temp at start: upper 40s, at finish: lower 50s
Notes: haven't yet broken out my new shoes (same as my currents, just new), was tempted today but with the rain last night, thought I'd save them some mud. It was still dark when I started (somewhere around 6:15), and it was pretty neat watching dawn to my East. There were several patches of fog, and I really like the way it feels to run through it (we don't get it that much here). Hardly anyone out, saw someone at about 1-1/2 miles, then not a soul for another ~2 miles. After my turn-around, I saw a large group running the other way, who then passed me about a mile or so later. I did stop for water at the turn-around, and took a very quick restroom/water break around 7 miles.

Didn't do any workout at all yesterday, first time in a while. I had been invited to join some swimming friends for the Mesa Turkey Trot 10k, but I woke up to rain around 6:30; by 8 when the race started it had cleared, but my motivation had passed. I was busy cleaning, helping to get ready (we hosted Thanksgiving dinner), then cleaning up...that almost seems like a workout in itself. I was tempted to do a weights set, but by the time I had some time it was an hour until guests would arrive...opted to shower and relax a few min instead.

No workouts today at ASU (campus pretty much closed), but I am in the office trying to get a few loose ends cleaned up before my vacation (I leave Monday). I'll probably do a swim drop-in with the Phoenix Swim Club/Brophy Masters team @ 11:30 am (I need to go to the post office anyway).
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:44 am

Today-

For time: 75 burpees

6:55
Old Nov 28, 2008, 2:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fri Nov 28, lunchtime swim with Brophy Masters team @ PHX Swim Club, Short Course Meters
air temp in mid-60s, water in mid-80s...they're having heater problems, that's too warm
600-800 easy swim (I didn't really keep track)
400 easy pull
12 x 50, odds fast @ :45, evens easier @ 1:00
1 x 2000 for time...I started out normal swim, then my legs started to cramp around 700, put on my pulling gear, my time was around 28:40, I can't remember the last time I had swam a distance that far
6 x 100 @ 2:00...supposed to be kick. I did 1, then 1/2 of another, my left leg cramped, took a 50 off, did the remainder just breast
200 cool-down (there was more but I was fried)

total: around 4400 meters

the team is divided into 3 major groups, and not really further divided from there. swam in the fast group, in a lane with a guy and a gal, the gal was way too fast, she should have been in a faster lane...only they don't really further divide beyond the 3 groups. overall, a great set, glad I went...it may be my last swim for a while....
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:49 pm

Sat Nov 29, afternoon weights
Got in a good weights set this afternoon. Got in my full weights set. chest press (with machine), chest flys (machine), chest press (dumbells), chest flys (dumbells), triceps curls (dumbell), triceps pull downs (machine), lat press (machine front and back), seated row (machine), biceps curl (dumbell), biceps curl (machine), and back lat pulls.
Finished with a mini abs set...about 80 elevated situps, then 20 elevated Rocky situps (10 left/10 right), then 10 elevated situps, then held The Plank for 2 min (including 15 sec with left leg only/15 sec right leg only).

Tomorrow is a long run morning. Depending how I feel, I'll do at least 15, maybe as much as 20 miles. Just need to start out nice and steady and hopefully keep it. This will be my last run for a few days....fly out to London on Monday.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I've been running this holiday weekend, I promise. I'll have the details later, when I get them off my GPS, but the running includes a 5k race turkey day, 5.5 miles the next day and 5 the day after that. Today I rest. ^
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:10 am

Sun Nov 30, morning run
did some good stretching, then 60 pushups, and held The Plank for 2 min before heading out
Run Graph: aztimm_run_11302008
Run Details-- miles: 18.5, time: 2 hrs 35 min 33 sec, pace: 8:24/mile, calories: 2295
temp at start: upper 40s, at finish: low 60s
I felt good for most of the first half. It was a total run along the canal, and the canal is being drained for its annual cleanup, looks kinda disgusting now, all the sludge on the bottom, together with the occasional tire or shopping cart (our drinking water switches to an underground aquifer when this happens). Anyway, I did up 4-1/2 miles, back...and almost stopped at the 9 miles...somehow managed to stick it out. Didn't really have anyone to pace off of for the whole thing, there were some other runners that I passed, or who passed me, but speeds didn't even seem close. As for breaks...took a water break at 4-1/2, a restroom + water break at 7 miles, water around 10 miles, restroom around 14 miles, water around 15 miles, and a last water break around 17-1/2.

Rested about 15 min after I got home, then did a quick abs set. Tried to do some elevated situps, but my tailbone didn't cooperate (got in about 10). Did get in mostly crunches--- 600 (300 right/300 left), 150 w/11 lb weight, 200 (100 right/100 left), 200 obliques (100 to the right/100 to the left), then 100 regular crunches (50 right/50 left).

This will be my last workout for a few days...at least Tues, probably Wed. Depending how the flight goes, and my jet lag, I may swim with a team in London Tues night; otherwise, probably Wed (if not a run somewhere). Not looking forward to a ~11 hour flight (PHX-LAX-LHR), but we'll see how it goes...when I did PHX-SFO-FRA earlier this year it didn't seem too terrible.

Last edited by aztimm; Nov 30, 2008 at 11:36 am
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:13 pm

Back from the long holiday weekend. I hope everyone had some good exercising and Turkey Trots over the past few days.

Wednesday
for us was a travel day up to my parents place in New Hampshire, so no exercise.

Thursday we did a 5k turkey trot. Man, it was a tough course. The first 8th of a mile or so was all uphill and it was quite steep. I got winded quickly on that climb but was able to get my breath back on the downhill and settled into an ok pace the rest of the way. Splits were as follows:

Mile 1: 7:29
Mile 2: 6:25
Mile 3: 6:33
Last bit: 20 secs

Finished in 20:48 or 6:47/mile pace. The annoying part is that my brother beat me by about 5 seconds. Passed me on one of the downhills and I never was able to catch up. I wonder what would have happened on a flat course... oh well.

Friday I ran around a local lake near my parents house, also kind of hilly (New Hampshire has hills). 5.5 miles in 39:57 or 7:15/mile pace. Felt pretty good on that run.

Saturday I was a bit hungover from the night before but managed to get a 5 miler in at the gym, 36:15 or 7:14/mile pace.

Sunday was a rest day.

This morning we traveled back home and I got a gym workout in this evening. Did about 40 minutes of weights, mostly chest and shoulders: barbell bench press, chin-ups (got to 8 in one set!), bicep curls, standing shoulder raises (put 40lb on the bar this time but got to failure at 6th rep set 2), dumbbell bench press "ride the rack": 8 @ 60#,55#,50#,45#, and then two sets of 8 dips.

Then I did 6 miles on the treadmill with a Fartlek strategy. Basically every mile I picked it up for .25 at my 3k pace (6:00). Did that 4 times with and then cooled down with a mile at the end, for a grand total of: 6.00 miles, 41:45 total time, 6:57/mile pace. Felt good. ^

I'm trying to get faster at shorter distances this winter. Gonna try to do a lot of 5ks and 10ks and get some good speedwork in during the "off season."
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:17 pm

Sick. Taking days off. Might not make it.

OMG, this stuff sucks. My kids hate me for bringing this stuff back from school and giving it to me.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Did a Turkey Trot 10K in 49:35. I started out slower, but decided after the halfway point to pick it up and try for sub-50. This was ~50 seconds short of a PR, but not bad considering the conservative start and the humid, foggy conditions.

Ran 18.94 miles on Saturday at around 9:00 pace. Since this was my longest run ever, I was particularly conservative. I had some knee pain after the run, so I did an ice bath when I got home and took it easy the rest of the day.

Less than seven weeks until my first marathon!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:30 pm

Today-

First day back after that death flu I caught:
3x3x3x3x3 of pushpress
2xmax of dead hang pullup

135x155x160x165x170
19x14
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:49 pm

Man I'm sore from yesterday's workout! My pecs and shoulder are really feeling it. I guess that's a sign I got a good workout in yesterday.

Today I didn't lift, just did an easy 5 miler, 7:30/mile pace on the treadmill. 37:30 total time, 1% incline. Felt a little tired and I could feel my lunch. Ick.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:18 am

Still not 100% from my death flu, but a better every day.

Today-

3 mile podrun - 30 minutes.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:57 am

I'm still sore today! Unbelievable.

I did a nice run outside on a hilly course, finishing 4.41 miles in 30:31 or 6:55/mile pace. The hills were tough, but I'm getting better at them. Felt good.

We leave for London tomorrow for the weekend. It looks like Timm might be over there, too! Maybe we should do a joint OMNI Exercise Blog run . My time will be tight, but I'll PM Timm and see what's up.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
We leave for London tomorrow for the weekend. It looks like Timm might be over there, too! Maybe we should do a joint OMNI Exercise Blog run . My time will be tight, but I'll PM Timm and see what's up.
Just curious...does the Garmin work outside the US? We're planning vacations and ability to get in workouts always comes into play!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.