Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Can anyone recommend a good,flat marathon in a really nice foreign location to give me something to aim at ( I'm in Ireland and fancy somewhere on the other side of the world. )
Cheers.
Yes, Berlin and Amsterdam. They are as flat as they get.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yes, Berlin and Amsterdam. They are as flat as they get.
Flat? Who wants flat? I want to find a point-to-point marathon that is slightly downhill the entire way, like a 0.5% decline. Not enough to kill your quads, but enough to make running seem easier.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Very cool. Tell him I said congratulations. ^
I'll see him Saturday and will tell him. Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:34 am
Suspended

Flat? Who wants flat? I want to find a point-to-point marathon that is slightly downhill the entire way, like a 0.5% decline. Not enough to kill your quads, but enough to make running seem easier.
Yup, me too.
With water stations " manned " by topless cheerleaders and all-over Thai massage facilities every five miles plus pints of ice-cold foaming beer stretching as far as the eye can see just after the finish line.

*** wakes up from dreamy sleep ***
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:03 pm

Today-

30 minute podrun
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
That'd be considered a troll post over at runnersworld.com. Bonus points: say you'd be listening to your iPod the whole way down.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
That'd be considered a troll post over at runnerworld.com.
Yeah well I'm a Hal Higdon forums kind of guy, and we let anything slide over there.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by law dawg
He's pressing some weight there. Try and keep your back straight, but it's gonna bend some if you press some weight.

You can also do push presses, which are easier and allow for more weight.
I hit the gym today and tried some of these. I kind of like it. Feels like a good shoulder workout but also getting in some ab work as well (if you keep your back straight and clench in your ab muscles). I didn't put much weight on at all, 20 lbs on the bar, just to get the feel for it. Did 3 sets of 8. Next time I'll add a bit more weight and work up from there, but I think I'll add this to my schedule.

Worked on mostly the back today: seated lat pull down, two types of row, etc. then I did situps.

I also got on the treadmill for a nice and easy recovery run. The legs are still tired and sore but getting better. Did 3.1 miles in 7:57/mile average pace or 24:40. Tomorrow is a travel day so it'll be another good rest day for the legs. I'll try running again on Friday and see how I feel.

^
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:12 pm

I hit the gym today and tried some of these. I kind of like it. Feels like a good shoulder workout but also getting in some ab work as well (if you keep your back straight and clench in your ab muscles). I didn't put much weight on at all, 20 lbs on the bar, just to get the feel for it. Did 3 sets of 8. Next time I'll add a bit more weight and work up from there, but I think I'll add this to my schedule.
Glad you liked them. Like I said, it's a big bang for the buck. You'll get more abs and back into it the heavier the weight. I'm pressing 160 these days for reps of 3.

I also got on the treadmill for a nice and easy recovery run. The legs are still tired and sore but getting better. Did 3.1 miles in 7:57/mile average pace or 24:40. Tomorrow is a travel day so it'll be another good rest day for the legs. I'll try running again on Friday and see how I feel.

^
Heh. I did about 2 1/2 miles today and it took around a half hour. Of course, it was intervals but still, I've got a way to go.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:29 pm

Today-

In honor of magiciansampras-
Press
7x3

135, 135, 145, 150, 155, 155, 135 (actually x6 on this set)
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:43 am

Yesterday was a travel day so I didn't get any working out in.

This morning I did 4.5 miles easy outside. It felt good to run outside again. All the muscle soreness is gone, but I can tell that I'm still fatigued I had to stop and walk up a long hill toward the end of my run that is usually hard but doable. Today it wasn't doable. Definitely more easy runs are needed to recover from the marathon.

They say that you need a day of recovery for every mile you race, so for a marathon that's the better part of a month!

In any event, 4.5 miles, 32:27 or 7:12/mile pace.

Alcohol consumed last night: 1 tall Sam Adams draft at a Chili's Too in the airport (with a bacon cheeseburger and fries to go along with it). Healthy.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chest/back + intervals on the menu for today.

I'm doing sets of 10....start light and only do 10 reps while increasing the weight. Once you hit a weight you can't hit 10 on you repeat that weight for your final set. I'll probably do this until I pleateu for 3 or so weeks in a row then move on to 5x5 (my heaviest of all my cycles).

I'm 8 weeks into the heavy cycle already. Its gone fast. Its a nice break from the long summer of light/high rep lifting I did. I'm still recovering strength back (did 275x6 on the top end last week).

Flat bench example for last week:
135x10, Pull ups, 185x10, pull ups, 205x10, pull ups, 235x10, pull ups, 255x10, pull ups, 275x6, pull ups, 275x3

I'm doing the weight assisted pull-ups. Shows me that if I was 160 pounds I could do pull ups all day long
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:10 pm

Today-

30 minutes of yoga and Pilates
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:00 pm

I get to go buy another pair of running shorts tomorrow, forgot to pack them.

Not sure what's wrong with me. Last trip I forgot to pack running socks.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:49 am
Suspended

Had a great workout last night - did 7 reps of 12 fluid ounces of Guinness.
Will work it off on the rowing machine this afternoon !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.