The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Had a great workout last night - did 7 reps of 12 fluid ounces of Guinness.
Will work it off on the rowing machine this afternoon !
Beautiful workout. Your arms must be quite sore, although Guinness, as a food group all its own, does a remarkable job of replenishing the electrolytes.

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Got to the gym today for a nice little workout. Lifted for about a half hour. Started with sets of chin-ups: 6, break, 5, break, 4 break, 3 break. Then I did 3 sets of 8 chest press (135 lbs). Then I did bicep curls with dumbbels (2 sets of 8, 35lb each arm). Unassisted dips (3 sets of 10) for the triceps. More bicep curls with the barbell (60lbs). Then I did situps.

Followed this with a 5 miler run on the treadmill, easy pace of 7:30/mile or 37:30 total. Felt good, legs still a bit tired.

Alcohol consumed last night: 1 grey goose martini (extra dry, olives) and a class of pinot grigio. ^
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Well I ended up sleeping in this morning. In theory I could have rushed and made it to swim, but decided to have a leisurely Saturday. I did get in a nice set of weights....bench on machine, fly on machine, bench w/dumbells, fly w/dumbells, triceps curls, triceps pull down w/machine, back pull down (front + back), seated row, biceps curl w/dumbells, and biceps curl on machine.

Have my alarm set for 6:20 for tomorrow, long run day. Not quite sure how much I'll do, at least 15 miles, maybe ~18 if I feel good. Temps may play into it, but low should be around 60, high only in the 80s.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Got to the gym today for a nice little workout. Lifted for about a half hour. Started with sets of chin-ups: 6, break, 5, break, 4 break, 3 break. Then I did 3 sets of 8 chest press (135 lbs). Then I did bicep curls with dumbbels (2 sets of 8, 35lb each arm). Unassisted dips (3 sets of 10) for the triceps. More bicep curls with the barbell (60lbs). Then I did situps.

Followed this with a 5 miler run on the treadmill, easy pace of 7:30/mile or 37:30 total. Felt good, legs still a bit tired.

Alcohol consumed last night: 1 grey goose martini (extra dry, olives) and a class of pinot grigio.
^
Not bad but I'm afraid you have still got some way to go on this part of your training programme.
Here in Ireland that amount of alcohol is what most parents give their teething infants !
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Made it out for my long run this morning...according to Nike+:
http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...unID,943000315
Distance: 18.15 miles, time: 2 hrs 36 min 29 sec, avg pace: 8:37/mile, calories burned: 2252
Temp at start: low 60s, temp at finish: mid 70s
Slept very well last night and actually woke just a few minutes before my alarm went off. Started off feeling good, but ended up altering my run at the beginning because I thought I may need a restroom break; turned out I didn't, but I added more up front, then kept to my 'usual' long run routine after that. Stopped for water around 4.25 miles, then around mile 11 and 13. Started to get a stomach cramp around mile 7 and walked for a little bit (as noted in the graph).
This was my longest run to date, at least in recent memory. I may have done longer while in the Army, but that was 15+ years ago. It was nice when I finished, Lance Armstorng came over my Nike+ to congratulate me.
So far, looking on-track to complete a full marathon early next year.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Made it out for my long run this morning...according to Nike+:
http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...unID,943000315
Distance: 18.15 miles, time: 2 hrs 36 min 29 sec, avg pace: 8:37/mile, calories burned: 2252

So far, looking on-track to complete a full marathon early next year.
Very well done! You could compete a marathon next weekend if you wanted to! ^
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:34 pm

Very well done! You could compete a marathon next weekend if you wanted to! ^
I'm sure if I were being chased by someone with a gun or knife I could finish a marathon, probably even tomorrow. But it wouldn't be pretty. I felt like I was gonna get sick when I first got home; just took it easy and re-hydrated for 30 min, but did get in a half-decent abs set.

I have 4 more Sundays before my trip to Europe, and I'd like to ideally do 2 longer runs in that timeframe, at least one around 20 miles. Then I'll be gone Dec 1 through 14, with limited to no running (I'll assume the worst), and hopefully get back up to a 20 miler by Sun Dec 28, then start to tone back a bit (think maybe a 15 miler, then probably no more than 12) for PHX-PF Chang's Marathon on Sun Jan 18. Out of the 2 local marathons early next year, that seems the easier choice (the AJ one isn't bad until the end, I've heard horror stories about, "Montezuma's Revenge.")

That gives me time to concentrate on swimming for a bit; my coach is holding me to my commitment of getting a minute (or less) in the 100 free. We typically have a meet at ASU in March, and a state-wide meet in Tucson at the U of A pool in April. I must say that with these longer runs, I've lost a bit of weight, and it does make me feel much faster in the pool. I haven't done a meet since my team hosted USMS Nationals back in 2003 (I think).
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:34 am

Mon Nov 3, 2008, made it to swim with the team @ 6:00 AM
Before leaving home, did my usual pushups (60) and held The Plank for 2 min
Air temp was in the mid-60s, water upper 70s
got in about 500 warm-up
200 easy kick
8 x 75 kick @ 1:20 (I ended up getting lapped and just did a continuous kick but did 50 less)
two sets of the following....
--2 x 300 @ 1:30 per 100
--2 x 200, first free (1:30 per 100), 2nd choice (breast) on 1:40/100
--2 x 100, first free, second IM, both on 1:30
200 warm-down
total around 3850 yards
my legs weren't ready to begin with a kick set, they were still sore from my run yesterday. but in the end, it felt good, they feel pretty well stretched now.

Also, need some advice. If I did an 18 mile run and held an 8:37/mile pace, does it seem reasonable that I could do a marathon in 4 hours? I'm trying to get some thoughts on what I should put on the entry.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:37 am

Also, need some advice. If I did an 18 mile run and held an 8:37/mile pace, does it seem reasonable that I could do a marathon in 4 hours? I'm trying to get some thoughts on what I should put on the entry.
Hell yes. A 4 hour marathon breaks down to over 9 minute miles. With good training you'll be fine for a sub-4.

My concern with you is that you might be doing a bit too much too early. You still have awhile to go for that marathon and I don't want to see you peak early and then tire yourself out before the 'thon. You know?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:35 am

Hell yes. A 4 hour marathon breaks down to over 9 minute miles. With good training you'll be fine for a sub-4.

My concern with you is that you might be doing a bit too much too early. You still have awhile to go for that marathon and I don't want to see you peak early and then tire yourself out before the 'thon. You know?
Thanks for the info. I'll put 4 hours when I register, and plan to go with that pace group. If I'm feeling good, I'll have a few points in my mind when I could go faster.

As to doing too much too early, maybe I am. But with taking a 2 week vacation in there, where I'm not expecting too much running, I'm thinking of doing 1 or 2- 20 mile runs prior, then another after. Does that not sound like a good idea? My thought was to do 20 mile runs on Nov 16, 30, then again Dec 28 (on vacation Dec 1-14). I welcome any ideas, since I've never done this before.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:40 am

Thanks for the info. I'll put 4 hours when I register, and plan to go with that pace group. If I'm feeling good, I'll have a few points in my mind when I could go faster.

As to doing too much too early, maybe I am. But with taking a 2 week vacation in there, where I'm not expecting too much running, I'm thinking of doing 1 or 2- 20 mile runs prior, then another after. Does that not sound like a good idea? My thought was to do 20 mile runs on Nov 16, 30, then again Dec 28 (on vacation Dec 1-14). I welcome any ideas, since I've never done this before.
Most beginning marathon programs have you do one 20 miler, maybe two. Since you're taking vacation in between, doing three might not be a bad idea, but I do believe there is a point of diminishing returns where you can tire yourself out and risk injury. But if you're the type that doesn't tend to get injured, you might be fine. I'm definitely no expert, I just know that those 20 milers can take a lot out of you and therefore the common wisdom is for beginners to do less rather than more (usually for injury prevention) and even more advanced programs max out at three 20 milers.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:05 am

...I just know that those 20 milers can take a lot out of you and therefore the common wisdom is for beginners to do less rather than more (usually for injury prevention) and even more advanced programs max out at three 20 milers.
I think you're right. I'll see how I feel leading up to Nov 16, especially since I'll be out of town most of that week. I may shift my first 20 miler to Sun Nov 23. Then still do longish runs the other Sundays (about 15 miles), and I'll plan a 2nd 20 miler on Sun Dec 28.

I'm certainly not immune to injury, and I'm actually rather surprised I haven't had any lately (knock on wood). I've gone through phases where I've bashed my hands on the lane line swimming, had a bad turn and hurt feet/toes swimming, pulled muscles lifting, etc. My left shin area is very tender still from my run yesterday, so I'll follow you're less is more approach, rather than have something get worse.

Funny, when I first re-started running just over 2 years ago, I could barely do 2 miles. I'm still surprised how quickly I've built up. But I certainly don't want to do anything stupid.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM

I agree with magiciansampras on this one. I ran my best PR following a 3-day per week running program. 1 day of Speed, 1 day of Tempo and 1 Long run. There was no room for junk mileage and I would occasionally add a 4th run on some weeks. I was the most rested I ever was going into a marathon. The program only had 2 20-milers over the 16 week program. Now that 16 weeks implies that you have a good base, but I think you are way beyond that point aztimm.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Trying to drop 25 lbs. Ran 2.26 mi. in 25 min. today. Trying to watch what I eat now, too. I've been more successful during the week, but the weekends are tough. Halloween didn't help, and I'm glad it's over. Other than my kids' stash, we got rid of all the candy we bought. I'm gonna try to post here as a means for motivation. Feel free to inquire how it's going, if for no other reason than to help me keep a commitment.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:14 pm

Had a nice 8 miler outside today. Great running weather. Felt really good and felt no ill effects from the marathon. I think my recovery from the race is going well.

Finished 8.03 in 57:05 or 7:06/mile pace. Tomorrow I'll get a lift in and then do a shorter run on the treadmill.

Alcohol consumed yesterday: 1 beer (Sam Adams) and one glass of red wine (Merlot).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.