Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I tend to agree. I think the more dangerous behavior is stopping short at the water stations.
Yep, that's why I always run in the center at the start of the water station and gently angle over with my arm raised to signal my move. I've never had problems since I took that approach.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by AcnNWAPlatinum
Not sure about Grandma's but the Twin Cities marathon did that last year, and this year. Some people didn't get a letter in the mail telling them this until months after the race.

It's not just an iPod-its headphones. They are also worried about runners receiving "coaching".
Interesting. One of the memes that gets floated on running boards is that it is for "insurance reasons" that they have to ban ipods.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Interesting. One of the memes that gets floated on running boards is that it is for "insurance reasons" that they have to ban ipods.
I've been in the TC marathon the past few years, and they gave a few reasons: ability to hear and move appropriately for emergency vehicles; and peopel getting coaching/training (although I see this as a factor only in the elite runners, as the TC Marathon has hosted the US 10 mile championships for men and women the last two years).

I don't like running without music. But I was happy when I heard people were getting DQ letters months later, since so many of them blatantly hid their headphones until after the start line. I mean, come on - who doesn't know your picture is taken at numerous points throughout the race??
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Sounds fishy. A lot of races allow the iPods, and a lot don't. If this were really a significant insurance issue, I'd expect to see bans in nearly every race. When insurance carriers really care about this sort of thing, they tend to move in lock step, as they did with diving boards at hotel pools (anyone remember those?).
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:16 pm

Today-

25 minute podrun, intervals.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 12:45 pm

Today-
For time:

50 L pullups

5:09
Old Oct 18, 2008, 5:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

had about an hour free this afternoon, went for a quick run...
5.66 miles, avg pace 8:09/mile
It is cold here in PA, about 45-50 when I ran, windy. After a mile or so it wasn't too bad.

Edited to add in Nike+ info:
http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...unID,473156195
5.66 miles, 46:14, avg 8:09/mile, 702 calories

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 23, 2008 at 12:54 pm
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:08 pm

Last real run before the marathon on Sunday went really well. Weather was chilly, but that's how I like it. Did 8.07 miles in 58:24 or 7:14/mile pace and I felt great the entire time. Finished with a strong uphill portion and even managed to get through that fairly easily. Hopefully this will be a good sign for things to come next weekend!

This week I am going to take it easy, cut back on alcohol (if I drink at all), and not lift. Basically it's rest with a couple of easy runs thrown in.

Alcohol consumed last night: another Red Sox game; 'nuff said.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Did a local duathlon (run/bike/run) today. Weather was perfect. Per my Garmin, the first 2 mile run was completed in 7:15/mile pace, the 12 mile bike averaged 20.2 mph, and the second 2 mile run came in at 7:54/mile pace. It was fun and I am pleased with my results. The bike is going to get a rest now while I get ready for the Houston marathon in January.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:11 am

Today-
10x3 of clean and press

Old Oct 20, 2008, 6:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still visiting family in PA, having a nice visit. Went to some Halloween village thing in Leighton today, got back to my Mom's around 2:30, and made it out to run around 3:15....set my iPod for 15 miles, didn't know how far I'd go.

Started near PA 309 and Church Rd. Followed 309 N about 1-1/2 mile to the Wright Twp Municipal Park, ran through the park to Main Rd, north to Nuangola Rd, and all the way out to Nuangola. Crossed the I-81, kept going. Ran through 'downtown' Nuangola (if there is such a thing), then beyond...beginning to go the Alden Mountain Road that connects to Nanticoke. Ran about 1-1/2 mile beyond Nuangola, then turned around, came back (stopped in a park for a pit stop), and basically followed Church Rd back to PA 309. The last mile, from Albert's Corner to 309 is brutal; as a kid this hill used to always kick my butt on a bike. I managed to get through it, but it was tough.
total distance: 14.6 miles, something like 1800 calories, and around 8:25 pace (I haven't synched yet, that's what I remember it telling me at the end).

I don't know how you guys survive all these hills! The downhill part is easy enough, but the uphill really is tough. And these small rolling hills are deceiving. Add in running on roads, watching for cars, and avoiding tree branches....plus lots of dead critters.

Temp was a pleasant 55-60 for most of this run. Of course my Mom was worried I'd be cold (I wore shorts and a short sleeved shirt); I was probably a little chilly for the first 3 min. When I got home, 2 sisters were there, a husband, and 2 little nephews, all set to eat. I felt like I was gonna die...grabbed some water from the fridge, and sat on the back porch for a bit, even walked around the backyard. Eventually, I felt ok, came back in, showered, and joined them late for dinner.

I head back to PHX tomorrow. Not planning any workouts, but may do a short (5 miler) run if it isn't too cold in the morning (this morning it was around 30, too cold for me to run outside). Otherwise, I'll resume my schedule with swimming Wed morning.

Next week I head to both Reno and Sacramento (biz), so my schedule will be out of whack once again....but hopefully I'll continue to workout on the road. Again, would be nice to have a dedicated forum to discuss handling stuff like that....

edited to add in Nike+ info:
http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...unID,204610397
14.68 miles, 2:04:30, 8:28/mile, 1822 calories
I think it must have taken me a while to end the session. Either that or I really loafed the last 1/4 mile. Hate it when that happens, as it is tough to see the variances elsewhere in the run graph.

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 23, 2008 at 12:57 pm
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:40 am

Today:

70lb thruster
pullups

For time:

21-15-9

Moving between the two exercises, perform 21 thrusters, then 21 pullups, 15 thruster, etc.

4:13
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:04 pm

It's marathon week, baby! No lifting, no heavy running, just short little runs to keep the legs loose and carbo-loading.

Today I did 3.57 miles outside at a comfortable 7:12/mile pace (25:45 total time). Felt ok, not great.

Ironically, alcohol consumed last night: nothing.

So when I don't have alcohol, I tend to feel worse than when I do. We'll see if we can validate this tomorrow. I'm not gonna drink at all this week and try to stay hydrated. ^
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:15 am

Wed Oct 22, 6am swim workout with the team at ASU, Student Rec Center
couldn't really sleep last night, yet I was so exhausted. all my flights were on-time, and was in bed around 11pm, but just couldn't get comfortable, maybe it was the change in temp. was tempted to sleep in, but thought I'd regret it.
temp when we started: outside air around 65-70, water around 75-78
600 warm-up
6 x 75 done 25 drill/50 swim (did 1-arm drills)
3 x of the following--
--100 (@70%), 200 (@80%), 300 (@90%), all on a 1:40 per 100 interval
--100 easy
--100 kick on about 2 min
200 cool-down
total around 3600 yards
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:25 pm

Another very easy day today, just a simple 2.33 miles outside. Hardest part was the hill at the end.

Finished in 16:57 or 7:16/mile pace.

Alcohol consumed last night: nothing. Felt good today out there.

I'll probably do one more short run tomorrow and then that will be it. 2 days rest before Sunday's race. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.