Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by law dawg
If you have bronchitis, my sympathies. I've had it twice. It sucks blocky nuts.
Well I do/did have bronchitis, thankfully just that. I've gone to this urgent care office before, maybe twice in the past 3 years. Both those times I was with a doctor for maybe 2 min total between both visits. Anyway, this time was far different.

The doctor started asking what was bothering me, etc. When I told him I had been in Europe, he asked even more thorough questions, did all kinds of checks to my chest (he had that stethiscope all around my torso it seemed), and had me get chest x-rays (I was shocked they do it right in that office). I, "don't quite have pneumonia," but evidently it was a close call. They then put me on an inhalater system for around 15 min, which really opened up my lungs a bit....then more checks with the stethiscope all around my torso again. I was probably in the office for an hour, the doctor was with me nearly half that time.

In the end, I got what I expected....a prescription for an antibiotic (azithromycin) and prednisone (I had this once shortly after I started running, my first run on this I felt like Superman). Thankfully, I didn't have anything more severe.....evidently there's some sort of European, "Superbug," thing around, and they wanted to rule that out too.

I'm currently in NM on a biz trip (debated on cancelling), and didn't bring a single workout-type thing with me. Already I feel the prednisone working, and I think the antibiotic is starting to kick in (I've been sometimes sweating like I'm running in PHX in August). I'm hoping to be well enough on Saturday to get in a weights set....then we'll see about a Sunday run.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Just take it easy Timm. I know it's tempting to workout when sick (and I usually succumb to the temptation), but some days it is better just to rest. ^
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:40 pm

Nice workout today at the gym. Started with a 45 minute lifting session. Did a few sets of chinups (3 sets of 5 reps), "ride the rail dumbbell bench press" of 10 reps with 60#, 55#, 50#, 45#, bicep curls, triceps, and lat pulldowns.

Then I did 6 miles on the treadmill in 41:45 or 6:57/mile pace. Felt good. ^

Alcohol consumed last night: 1 g+t, 1 glass wine, 1 beer.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by dhuey
Boston 2009 training has begun. The plan: more long runs this year -- maybe 8-10 good ones. I think the cramping I had in both calves and hamstrings in Berlin was due to insufficient long run training.

Marathons require fitness for both the engine (CV system) and the transmission (legs). I'm going to work harder on the transmission this time.
Lot's of runners lose it in the legs on long runs due to weak core and hip area muscles, which cause small changes to your stride and decrease efficiency. Are you doing any core work?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:12 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by runningshoes
Lot's of runners lose it in the legs on long runs due to weak core and hip area muscles, which cause small changes to your stride and decrease efficiency. Are you doing any core work?
I find this to be a pretty decent core routine that I should be doing more often than I do. ^
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I find this to be a pretty decent core routine that I should be doing more often than I do. ^
That is a pretty good site...I check it *almost* as often as FT. MS, do you post there?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
That is a pretty good site...I check it *almost* as often as FT. MS, do you post there?
Not yet.. I just found it recently myself and haven't even ventured into the forums part of it.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:20 am

Today-

2 mile podrun. Immediately after run, do 3 sets of 10 dead hang pullups.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:42 am

Been taking it easy lately. I had some nasty knee pain during my long run last weekend so I cut it short at 10 miles. I ran again on Sunday (8 miles) to test the waters and the knee felt ok. My only running otherwise was 5.5 on Wednesday. I'm planning to do 21 miles tomorrow, so I wanted to rest up for that. Did yoga a couple of times this week.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
thanks for the link - looks like a great site for new ideas for my non-running workouts.

btw - you're not supposed to laugh at us older runners who need to work at maintaining flexibility, core strength, and all that. one of us just might (emphasis on might) pass you in the last few seconds of a race
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by runningshoes
Yes, once a week. The problem I encountered in Berlin (cramping 2/3 of the way through) was my first experience with this in six marathons. The big difference between training for Berlin and the other races was that I did only two long runs in preparation for Berlin.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Yes, once a week. The problem I encountered in Berlin (cramping 2/3 of the way through) was my first experience with this in six marathons. The big difference between training for Berlin and the other races was that I did only two long runs in preparation for Berlin.
What do you classify as a 'long run'? I am doing my first 26.2 next month and have done a couple of 15.5's, a 19, and (as of today) a 21. Hopefully I'll be ready - that's my max on mileage.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:22 pm

Yesterday-

For time:
15, 10, 5 reps of:

50lb dumbbell swing
25lb dumbell thruster
pullups

4:41
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
What do you classify as a 'long run'? I am doing my first 26.2 next month and have done a couple of 15.5's, a 19, and (as of today) a 21. Hopefully I'll be ready - that's my max on mileage.
I run in hills, so I focus more on time than distance. For me a long run is between 1.5 to 3.5 hours. It takes your body some time to recover from the longest of these runs, so if you do 2.5 hours or more one week, you want to do a shorter long run the following week. Perhaps the most important thing is not to do long runs as you get close to race day. Three weeks before race day is a typical time for the final long run.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: HH Silver
After quitting smoking and losing 50 pounds I've rediscovered my love of running and am okay for an hour at 8:00/mile pace, a new PB I set yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.