Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Breastfeeding Mother Embarrassed on UA Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breastfeeding Mother Embarrassed on UA Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I get that some people don't mind seeing breastfeeding and some do, but in relative terms an airplane seat is quite a private place. There are a maximum of maybe five or six passengers who could see it if they turned their heads and looked (which no one is making them do) and a few FA's who must see worse things every day. It's not like the woman was banging a drum and yelling "see my infant feast from my womanly breast!".

The FA was probably being a bit too brusque due to having a lot to get on with on the flight. Slowing down for just a moment to ask if the mother would like a blanket maybe would have been a better way to go.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
Let's make a deal: I'll be mindful of your right to breastfeed your baby in front of me and avert my gaze without any complaints on the occasions where you fail to be mindful of my not wanting to see it. We're all living in this world together, folks.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I don't care if the private parts are exposed, it's completely natural, just don't get mad at me if I glance over.
I second that
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Ulotka
I guess there can be no compromise with the militant liberal.
I wish you the best of luck in finding therapy to overcome your paralyzing fear/abhorrence of breasts.

NB: I'm not even remotely liberal. I just don't believe in rigid adherence to Victorian standards of "propriety".
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:00 am

God Americans have this strange fascination with boobs. Hope you guys never visit Europe.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by brendog
I wish you the best of luck in finding therapy to overcome your paralyzing fear/abhorrence of breasts.

NB: I'm not even remotely liberal. I just don't believe in rigid adherence to Victorian standards of "propriety".
Indeed. Feeding from the mother is the completely natural means that evolved for any of us human beings and our hominid ancestors (the whole mammal family in fact) to consume nutrients through the early phase of life (and the sole means of doing so until the quite recent invention of formula). The fact that some humans are offended by seeing it take place is ridiculous and immature. I wish our society, in the US in particular, would get over its weird obsession with finding body parts somehow offensive to be seen.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the FA threw the blanket at the dad, I'm assuming he was on the aisle and the mother was on an inside seat. The number of passengers who might see her boob would be the dad, and maybe another passenger if a 3-3 configured plane. Plus flight attendants or others walking down the aisle. I bet FA's have seen much worse.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by largeeyes
God Americans have this strange fascination with boobs. Hope you guys never visit Europe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txY7xqoXOP8#t=1m22s
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:59 am

/thread

^
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I always get *slightly* uncomfortable when I see women breastfeed in a public setting with strange men present. I know there is nothing wrong with it, but I was raised in a way/time/place where a sense of modesty includes a woman keeping her breasts covered in a public setting, unless nudity is a given, expected, or permitted (nude beaches, Vegas shows...etc.). So I instinctively want to shield her from others or cover her up. Do I react? No. Do I want to? A little. And that is why. Can I understand why others react? Yes - and I think it is a similar reaction coupled with an inability to understand the reason for their own discomfort and not being able to keep from projecting it onto the others around them.

FA should have just let it be. But for some the drama is irresistable.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:49 pm

I expose far more at the beach or around the hotel pool than I ever have breastfeeding.

I wonder how many complaints are floating around the internet about scantily clad women at the beach?

Oh wait.....
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by CBear
I expose far more at the beach or around the hotel pool than I ever have breastfeeding.

I wonder how many complaints are floating around the internet about scantily clad women at the beach?

Oh wait.....
Yes wait...they are "clad", albeit scantily. And I'm not trapped in a tiny tube...and...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by roberino
The FA was probably being a bit too brusque due to having a lot to get on with on the flight. Slowing down for just a moment to ask if the mother would like a blanket maybe would have been a better way to go.
Yeah the same FA is so busy with her safety duties that she routinely throws beverages at passengers too - Why on earth you are trying to defend such ignorant behaviour that beggers belief in any civilized environment ?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ulotka
Yes wait...they are "clad", albeit scantily. And I'm not trapped in a tiny tube...and...
So a women dressed in nothing but a triangle bikini top and a thong plonking down next to you at a crowded pool is okay because she's "clad"

A women dressed in jeans, long sleeve sweater breastfeeding a baby is unacceptable because???
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I do see photos sometimes from pro-breastfeeding moms that make me, a breastfeeding mom, uncomfortable because of how much is "out there."

If the mom was feeding just like she was in the photo, this definitely is *not* one of those cases. You'd be hard pressed to be sure if that baby is eating or sleeping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.