Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Breastfeeding Mother Embarrassed on UA Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breastfeeding Mother Embarrassed on UA Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by Ulotka
Let's compromise. Cover it up. Your baby gets fed and I don't have to see your private parts. Have a nice day.
+1. The long and the short of it!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:47 pm

Let's compromise. Cover it up. Your baby gets fed and I don't have to see your private parts. Have a nice day.
Don't want to see private parts? Stop staring and move your face a foot or more away from mom's chest. Then you won't see private parts.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Amazing how this offends people. LOOK AWAY.....none of your business. Do you stop eating in public ?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:58 pm
Suspended

I don't care if the private parts are exposed, it's completely natural, just don't get mad at me if I glance over.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:25 pm

Last I checked, "private parts" refer to genitalia. In reading through the story, there is no indication that she flaunted her vagina.

There is nothing remotely sexual or vulgar about breastfeeding. Anyone who is offended by breastfeeding, or breast in general, would best be served by never leaving their house, watching TV, or browsing the interwebs.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Lots of fear of breasts here.

Who knew!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
life is full of embarrassing and humiliating moments.

We mostly get on with life and move on.

Why shouldn't the person in question?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:45 pm

It is easy to be discrete but there are militants out there seeking a kerfluffle. It is not necessary to bare the whole breast to feed but this is usually what is happening when mothers get asked to cover up.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Tizzette
It is easy to be discrete but there are militants out there seeking a kerfluffle. It is not necessary to bare the whole breast to feed but this is usually what is happening when mothers get asked to cover up.
Correct. In India where modesty reigns supreme babies are fed in public situations. Most women wear saris , usually cotton and opaque. They just hold it over the feeding baby. nobody gives a second glance !
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by brendog
Last I checked, "private parts" refer to genitalia. In reading through the story, there is no indication that she flaunted her vagina.

There is nothing remotely sexual or vulgar about breastfeeding. Anyone who is offended by breastfeeding, or breast in general, would best be served by never leaving their house, watching TV, or browsing the interwebs.
I guess there can be no compromise with the militant liberal.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
If you are offended, that's your problem. It seems like the same sorts of incidents happen every single day, later the airline apologizes and says it is their policy to allow breastfeeding...however they don't seem to properly educate some employees on this policy
I am sick of hearing about it, why don't airlines just train their employees so they stop getting embarrassed over something so trivial
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt

That stops working once babies are about 4 months old and can grab the cover and yank it off or bat it away. Not to mention, covers are incredibly cumbersome and really don't cover anything that isn't already covered by the baby. Also, covers are hot and stuffy. Would you like to eat your dinner with a blanket inches from your face?

Some moms feel more comfortable with a cover. Some moms (and most babies, ime) don't.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:12 pm

I'm generally supportive of labor. However, I'm afraid that we will not see a stop of this sort of horrid FA behavior until someone gets fired. Really, what is that guy's problem? And why do things like this keep hapenning?

She was breast feeding. Maybe a little peaked out. So what - its just a breast. Everyone has them. And besides what is possibly more natural than a woman feeding her child?

Too bad UA no longer has any intrastate flights in New York - where women are free to be top free altogether, child or not, (provided not for commercial purposes). I'd love to see UA have to pony up some $$ for violating the woman's rights.

Perhaps some women might wish to make for a test case on one of the airlines which do have intrastate New York service -- or in one of the other jurisdictions where it is illegal to discriminate against women's breasts.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm long past my breastfeeding years, but I try to give every mom I see breastfeeding a big smile. In the beginning it was a little difficult and awkward to get them situated and latched on, then when they get older they do sometimes fidget and pull at your clothes or covers. I don't think I ever flashed anyone, no one ever complained, but if I did it was unintentional. I probably flashed more belly trying to tuck the baby under a tshirt than I ever did boob.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Originally Posted by tattikat2
life is full of embarrassing and humiliating moments.

We mostly get on with life and move on.

Why shouldn't the person in question?
If this was an uneducated passenger I would agree. However, this was a United FA who is acting inappropriately and unacceptably.

Flight Attendants (at least claim) to play a crucial role as crew members with critical responsibilities in safety. Implicit in that role is a requirement for good judgement and smart decision making.

If an onboard crew member cannot treat a passenger with respect they need to be dismissed from their position or be required to undergo significant remedial training.

If the airline cannot or will not properly supervise its employees to eliminate this sort of response it raises significant questions about the airline's broader operations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.