Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:06 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Yes, Super Rich - the one I found is on a side street directly across from the World Trade Center about 2/3 of the way toward Pratunam. (it would have been easier if I had seen the maps in the post below). Two odd things - that they won't take tc and it is the only place I have changed money where I did not get a receipt - just a print out showing the $x exhange rate =# baht.

The sign is orange and strangely they had a slightly different rate (lower by 2 baht/100 usd) posted on the window outside vs going inside (which is air conditioned). Also I was told the rate was 44.10, no matter how much I changed, but when I changed $500 I got 44.12 Good for almost an extra cafe yen(iced coffee)!

Last edited by estnet; Jul 14, 2009 at 12:09 am Reason: add detail
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:16 am

Airport ATM

When you exit customs and enter the arrival/greeting hall, there is one (maybe more?) ATM machine next to a rental car or bank counter which I usually use when I exit....does anyone know off hand the Bank and/or if there is the B150 surcharge?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
Both ATMs (different banks) by the bank counter charge the fee.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:40 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Super Rich

There is a Super Rich outlet at the Chidlom BTS station (InterContinental hotel's side) and another (kiosk) inside Big-C on Ratchdamri but both don't have as good rate as the only two blocks from Big-C ... yesterday exchanged U$ for a 34.03 Baht rate which is great considering all other banks' around 33.70.

Haven't had the need to use an ATM yet and will try to keep it that way.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:51 am

UOB atm machine at The Mall in Bangkapi - withdrew B5000, just checked my home account and rate was 33.70 net net.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1kBill
So it's back to traveler's checks for me.
I alwasy carry some traveller's cheques. It's funny that about 4 years ago, I posted a story about a bank in the U.S. asking me for finger prints to cash a traveler's cheque. This was in the days following Katrina. Most people thought it was odd that I still used traveller's cheques. Some even laughed, "Who uses traveller's cheques these days!"

Now we know at least there are two FTers who will be using traveller's cheques.

It's become rather difficult to obtain traveller's cheques from Banks. I had trouble obtaining $2000 in TC's.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by snic
"The fees are in line with those charged worldwide, and also in line with the higher operating cost carried by local banks."

That is simply not the case. I don't think I've ever been charged a fee by the ATM's owner when I withdraw money in Europe from my American account. My bank here charges $5 for foreign ATM transactions, which means that with the 150 THB surcharge, I'm paying $9+ to make withdrawals in Thailand!

To hell with all of these banks. I'm going to bring traveler's checks, which are free through my bank. Even if the exchange rate is slightly higher, it's unlikely to amount to $9 extra per transaction.
Actually, it makes more sense for a Thai bank to charge for an ATM withdrawal when you use a Thai ATM. IT's advancing you money until your bank settles with the Bank that owns the ATM. It's the $4 or $5 by your ban that's gouging. The bank that advances the money has legitimate reason to charge you.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
I have done two K-bank withdrawals this month without being charged. My receipts clearly shows the 'Fee: 0.00' and a quick check showed an X-rate close to bank interrate so K-bank does indeed seem to be one of the banks of choice.
Looking at your receipt is always a good idea.

I am surprised how many people don't bother to look at their receipt.and how many people say , "who looks at their receipt!"

Last edited by Yaatri; Jul 30, 2009 at 5:15 pm
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Any luck lately on any of the ATM machines?

The UOB ATMs at Sukhumvit 6 near the stairs to Nana BTS Station are charging the dreaded 150-baht fee.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Any luck lately on any of the ATM machines?

The UOB ATMs at Sukhumvit 6 near the stairs to Nana BTS Station are charging the dreaded 150-baht fee.

Any suggestions?
that's not good. may be it went into effect as of 8/1. can anyone else confirm other UOB ATM fees? i used UOB machines at Siam Center and All Season Place (Conrad) fee-free in July.

if this is the case, no more fee-free ATMs in the LOS
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by worldexpress
that's not good. may be it went into effect as of 8/1. can anyone else confirm other UOB ATM fees? i used UOB machines at Siam Center and All Season Place (Conrad) fee-free in July.

if this is the case, no more fee-free ATMs in the LOS
I pulled Baht from an ATM (forgot bank name) at CentralWorld on Sunday and was charged a fee. Then did UOB atm at Bangkapi Mall location on Wed and no fee charged.

Let me try again today and update everyone if there is a change for UOB.

Last edited by dtsm; Aug 20, 2009 at 8:23 pm
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:35 pm

UOB started charging the 150 THB fee as of August 19, 2009. They previously said they would start charging the fee so not a huge surprise. Government Savings Bank (GSB) and AEON are the only ATM's still not charging this fee. Neither are members of the TBA so maybe they will never implement the fee but as they are swamped with foreign ATM transactions one can foresee them adding the fee. There is a GSB ATM in the Asoke BTS station, adjacent to their currency exchange booth as you exit the station heading for the MRT (subway) on the right. Be careful, there is a Thanachart ATM machine right next to the GSB ATM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by lomatopo
UOB started charging the 150 THB fee as of August 19, 2009. They previously said they would start charging the fee so not a huge surprise. Government Savings Bank (GSB) and AEON are the only ATM's still not charging this fee. Neither are members of the TBA so maybe they will never implement the fee but as they are swamped with foreign ATM transactions one can foresee them adding the fee. There is a GSB ATM in the Asoke BTS station, adjacent to their currency exchange booth as you exit the station heading for the MRT (subway) on the right. Be careful, there is a Thanachart ATM machine right next to the GSB ATM.
Thanks lomatopo, this is great information ... you know your stuff. This is why Flyertalk.com is so great, right?

GSB ATM at Asok was not working for me. It kept on giving me an error message.

AEON ATM at Ratchdamri's BIG C (right in front of the elevators) worked fine as I withdrew 10K Baht.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Thanks lomatopo, this is great information ... you know your stuff. This is why Flyertalk.com is so great, right?
Absolutely.

And few of us are bothered by the irony of the same people plunking down $4000 for an airplane ticket making four months of posts and going all over creation, as my grandmother would say, to avoid a $5 currency-exchange fee. I'm one of 'em, but I'm just sayin'....
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:52 pm

We used ATM's as usual and paid the charge everywhere, but we were only there for a few days and really didnt have the time or the energy (in the wonderful tropics) to go searching for ATM's with no charge. Sorry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.