Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Currency exchange kiosks are available at the airport 24 hours a day. The exchange rates available at the airport however are generally much worse than in the city itself, and so you you will lose out by changing money here.
That's what I was afraid of. Looks like I might as well plan to withdraw a large sum from ATM at BKK.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
I can confirm that as of a few days ago, UOB at Chiang Mai is still not charging the fee
Old Jun 25, 2009, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by k_sheep
I can confirm that as of a few days ago, UOB at Chiang Mai is still not charging the fee
I was not charged anything for withdrawing 1,000THB from a UOB ATM at Siam Paragon on June 23. A Siam Commercial Bank ATM was warning of a 150 THB fee (more than 120 THB).
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
So it looks like now UOB and the non-Thai banks (HSBC and Standard Chartered) are the only ones not charging the fee. Is that correct?

Unfortunately none of these have branches on Koh Samui or Koh Phangan, as far as I can tell . However, HSBC doesn't have an ATM locator, at least not one that I can find on the English version of its Thai website. Looks like I'm stuck paying the fee, or changing cash or travellers checks.

How much do banks usually charge per travellers check?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by snic
So it looks like now UOB and the non-Thai banks (HSBC and Standard Chartered) are the only ones not charging the fee. Is that correct?

Unfortunately none of these have branches on Koh Samui or Koh Phangan, as far as I can tell .
Try Bank of Ayudhya - they neither charged me in BKK nor on Koh Samui !!!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by Rocket2511
Are you sure? They were previously charging; it could be interesting if some banks are reconsidering the fee.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Are you sure? They were previously charging; it could be interesting if some banks are reconsidering the fee.
I withdrew 20k THB twice with them and was not charged a fee both times. This were different ATMs, one was in BKK one on Koh Samui. There was no warning and the Receipt stated Fee: 0 THB.

Siam and Kasikorn charged me the 150 THB.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:49 am

Cool - when was this?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
I can confirm that UOB is not charging the 150 baht. Unfortunately, there are not as many UOB ATMs as, for instance Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank or Kasikorn, so I ended up getting wapped a couple times anyway.

The exchange rates available at the airport however are generally much worse than in the city itself, and so you you will lose out by changing money here.
Sorry, but this is simply not correct. The exchange rates at the airport booths are identical to those you get anywhere else. There are always minor discrepancies between various banks and the rates are adjusted frequently, so it's possible you could see one rate at the airport and another downtown sometime later. Here's a site where you can compare up to the minute rates from all the major banks.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by snic
Cool - when was this?
last withdrawal was about a week ago
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:44 pm

I withdrew 20k THB twice with them and was not charged a fee both times. This were different ATMs, one was in BKK one on Koh Samui. There was no warning and the Receipt stated Fee: 0 THB.

Siam and Kasikorn charged me the 150 THB.
So I withdrew THB from Bank of Ayudhya on Koh Pha Ngan (Thong Sala) on 7/6, and was not charged the 150 THB fee. However, the exchange rate was pretty bad: 32.67 THB to the US dollar, vs between 33.5 and 34.5 for exchanging cash or travelers checks (~30 THB commission per check). So, the implicit fee for the ATM withdrawal of 20,000 THB was about 600 THB.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by billp
Sorry, but this is simply not correct. The exchange rates at the airport booths are identical to those you get anywhere else. There are always minor discrepancies between various banks and the rates are adjusted frequently, so it's possible you could see one rate at the airport and another downtown sometime later. Here's a site where you can compare up to the minute rates from all the major banks.
Today, Monday July 13:

US$ = 32.70 Baht at the airport @ 11 AM
US$ = 33.70 Baht at Sukhumvit at noon

Same bank
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I have also experienced lower rates at the airport.

Finally found rich where the exchange rate was 34.12! ( 100 usd) when the highest anywhere else was 33.77. Cash only and unlike other places you need ID for cash exchange (altho they did make an exception).

If you're exchanging much money it does add up.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by estnet
Finally found rich where the exchange rate was 34.12! ( 100 usd) when the highest anywhere else was 33.77. Cash only and unlike other places you need ID for cash exchange (altho they did make an exception).

If you're exchanging much money it does add up.

It sure adds up ... every little bit helps!

where can I find rich?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:31 pm

I suspect that he is referring to Super Rich:
http://www.superrich1965.com/Eng/location.aspx
According to postings on another web site, the best place to exchange is at their head office, which is conveniently located.
I have not used any currency exchange office in Bangkok as I prefer using ATMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.