Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:21 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
What is the best option for transportation from the LeM Khao Lak to the LeM Phuket?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I'll be arriving in Phuket this Sunday for four nights after spending nearly two weeks in Bangkok on business. I'm a solo traveler staying at the Hilton Arcadia.. Any suggestions on a good day trip? Prefer something that allows me to do some snorkeling... I've read Phi Phi might be a good choice?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Phi Phi is an excellent choice. Lots of day trips from Phuket to Phi Phi, via speedboat from the main Phuket town.

Another excellent choice for a day trip out of Phuket is James Bond Island, an area with fantastic Karst formations rising out of the ocean.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:02 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
I know FT may not be the best place to ask this but does anyone have experience with the lower-cost hotels/guest houses in Phuket, specifically Southern Fried Rice?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:34 pm

I've stayed in everything from the high end to the low end. There are really good deals available if you don't need to be close to the beach. I'm not familiar with "Southern Fried Rice." In fact, I've never heard of it. Is there something specific you want to know?

Last edited by jezsik; Sep 15, 2008 at 7:43 am Reason: Changed "Southern Fried Chicken" to Rice ... sheesh!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:59 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
What is the best option for transportation from the LeM Khao Lak to the LeM Phuket?
The easiest way is by taxi. I'd estimate the costs from Khao Lak to Le Meridian, just north of Karon, to be about THB 2,000.

Of course, it's possible to take a bus from Kao Lak to Phuket City for quite cheap. A taxi would run about THB 600 extra on each side, to get to/from the bus terminals.

Above prices are only guesses.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by sciguy0504
I know FT may not be the best place to ask this but does anyone have experience with the lower-cost hotels/guest houses in Phuket, specifically Southern Fried Rice?
I don't know anything about Southern Fried Rice Guesthouse, other than it is in Kata at the south of the island. TripAdvisor rates it good, but the prices are still high for Phuket.

If you're OK with Patong, we own & operate a budget guesthouse and hostel a few blocks from the beach. PM me for details. Our September rates are very attractive.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:34 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
The easiest way is by taxi. I'd estimate the costs from Khao Lak to Le Meridian, just north of Karon, to be about THB 2,000.

Of course, it's possible to take a bus from Kao Lak to Phuket City for quite cheap. A taxi would run about THB 600 extra on each side, to get to/from the bus terminals.

Above prices are only guesses.
Thanks! We're back already but we ended up renting a car for 800THB / day for the week.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: QC Life, AA
I have been reading this thread with interest as I am taking my 15old daughter and 14old son to Phuket at the end of June 2009 for about 10 days and have been looking at ideas for hotels etc in the Patong area. However, when looking at the Holiday Inn Phuket website they indicate the following, and this is just for info of those who read this thread:

Hotel Information
All of Busakorn Studio rooms at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket will be closed for refurbishment of period 01 May - 31 August 2009.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Mission Hills Golf Resort - PHUKET

we are booked for one week at the Marriott Phuket in a timeshare villa. However we are arriving Phuket one day earlier around 2:00 P.M. and need a one night accomodation not far from the Marriott. The Marriott itself is quiet expensive for the one night so I was considering the Mission Hills Phuket Golf Resort (195 Moo 4, Pla Khlok Thalang) which has a special rate of $130.00 USD for the one night. We know that there is not much to do around the resort. All we would want to do is to go out for dinner and then recover from our jet lag. There are not very many reviews of this property, so any feedback would be much appreciated. thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Apartment Rental

Hi all,

I might be looking to rent an apartment in Phuket, somewhere near the Jungceylon Shopping center for about 1 month/5 weeks from the middle of november. Just the one bedroom, but need a decent ish sort of place with wifi etc.

Does anyone know what sort of money I'm going to be looking at? I have an option for somewhere cheap, but was wondering what a more decent standard of accomodation would set me back

TIA
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:42 am

Rooms in the high season go from Thai style apartments for about 8,000 a month and up. Often the rooms are small, with bed, fan, tv, shower (sometimes hot shower, sometimes airconditioner). The same rooms for the low season are cheaper. These rooms are in limited supply for the winter months and often require a one month security deposit too that you should be prepared to walk away from.

A standard that most foreigners are looking for is in the 12,000-20,000 range. Hotels and guesthouses usually charge by the day for the busiest peroids, but these prices are still available. Nicely furnished, 3 star rooms, some will have internet and satelite tv, others may have a swimming pool too.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:00 pm

Programs: QC Life, AA
Okay, now for some advice from the Phuket experts. I have not been to Thailand, and as mentioned in a previous I plan taking my teenage daughter and son to Phuket on June 29th 2009 for about 10 days. There are plenty of air fares on the web, so I can organise those out of Sydney, but as I have never been there before I need some advice on where to stay. Thai have some good fares, and although Jetstar fly direct Sydney-Phuket I do not particularly want to fly with them having been stranded in Honolulu several years ago. Cathay and Singapore are other options I will look at.

I want to stay in the Patong area, and several people have suggested the Holiday Inn as this apparently has good amentities and is close to beach, shops etc. I am aware the Busakorn Studio rooms at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket will be closed for refurbishment of period 01 May - 31 August 2009, but on reading info on that part of the resort it would appear this is mainly for couples, not teenagers. On the other hand, does anyone have any experience with package deals air/accomm etc as this might work out cheaper. I note that a lot of info on Phuket land content has not been loaded onto websites thus far suggesting I have a few weeks to consider my options before they are so loaded.

With three of us, and essentially adults, I would prefer a family suite, or naturally a triple. I have read through this entire thread but unable to find any info that meets my needs.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:32 am

Any thoughts on the new Anantara Phuket that just opened up? We are considering booking it for the last week of December, but cant find any reviews since it is so new.

We are looking for something quiet on a nice beach.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I did manage to get the B650 rate for a Camry at the airport. After a bit of struggle, of course. I stopped at the booth to the right of the exit, they verified the B650 price. Then one Thai lady said something to the other, and she said, "Oh, but B100 extra insurance charge" or something similar. I said no thanks, and moved on. One guy comes running after me, and says, "Okay, B650". The ladies nod their heads, and I follow him, and he takes me to the Marriott office, where they try to rope me into a timeshare presentation for a free taxi ride. NO THANKS.

I go outside, and find someone else, who sets me up with the same B650 Camry. Of course he stops 1 km down the road at a "friendly" travel agent.

Other than that, things are going fine at the Hilton. I booked a family package (B100 a day more), and have gotten a free dinner for all of us at Sails, plus a Fanta-Sea show/dinner package too. Not a bad result from spending B700 more than the lowest rate.
This is what I'm dreading--arriving from a four-flight trip and navigating through the ususal tout/timeshare hijinks to get to the Hilton.

Questions: We are a family of five. There's no way we'll fit into a Camry. Would the airport taxis offer minivans or something larger? Or, what can I expect price-wise from the Hilton if they organized the transfer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.