Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by transpac
The lines can be quite long, and if you don't want to wait you can buy a SIM pretty much everywhere, add money and subscribe to a plan.
Nice pictures....the lines do move pretty quickly as CS is efficient and fast. Worth the wait, IMHO
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
If the lines are not too long, definitely buy at the airport, unless you are Bangkok-savvy. Unfortunately the booths can sometimes be almost 100-people deep. The arrivals hall is one of the many poorly designed, over-crowded areas of the airport.

But the big advantage of the airport booths is that they are tourist-oriented, have staff who speak passable English, and have the tourist SIM products. Those products may not be the best value, but there is a pretty good chance they will do what you want. While you can buy a SIM at a million places elsewhere in Bangkok (eg every 7-11), the chances of you finding one with someone who speaks good English, will sell you the best product for your needs, and will get it working for you, is somewhat limited. Many if not most Thai SIMs come with Thai-only instructions.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are millions of places to buy SIMs outside of 7/11. And 7/11 may be more focused solely on TrueMove H services based on their both being part of the same conglomerate CP.

It is relatively easy to buy a SIM, installing should also be reasonably simple. Then it's a matter of adding value, and subscribing to any plan which you might choose. Adding value can be done at the place where you buy the SIM, the SIM will automatically activate and register, and you can subscribe to a mobile data plan via sending a code. All relatively simple.

Most/all shops will be able to assist you with the at least the first two steps, the third, subscribing does require some investigation on your part, or you can ask here. Most of the language associated with mobile phone service here is English, so that shouldn't be an issue.

There are top-up machines in most BTS stations.

Mobile providers have shops in some BTS stations now, and in any mall.

I've seen Tourist-oriented SIMs just about everywhere as well. I think they represent a decent value, comparable to other options, save for the limited "size"/expiry (which can always be modified later, anyway).

So if you don't want to queue, and don't need phone service immediately, it is quite easy, safe, fast to get a SIM outside of the arrivals hall. If you have time, or a connecting domestic flight, then just wait in line.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I found the lines at BKK really long and figured I'd get at CNX (was connecting) but the line there was so slow (only 1 person). So I got at 7/11. They're not hard to find
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Maybe it's just me, but I have had very mixed results at 7-11's, MBK, etc. If I know exactly which TrueMove (or whatever) SIM product I want, and they have it, and are willing to get it working in my phone (since the instructions are all in Thai), then fine. But I have also had experiences where what they gave me did not have the expected expiry, credit, data allowance, overseas call rates, etc, etc. But usually what I get at least "kind of" works. If you are in a tourist area or have a Thai friend to explain then your chances of getting exactly what you want from a 7-11 are probably better. But the 16 year old kid serving you mostly just wants to sell you 'something' and move on to the next customer in the queue.
The major phone companies have shops in almost every big shopping mall so that is another option, but those are often very busy like the airport booths.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by timster
The major phone companies have shops in almost every big shopping mall so that is another option, but those are often very busy like the airport booths.
Both the AIS and TrueMov shops that I've visited had a counter with English speaking representative. Extremely professional and helpful. And never had a long wait, maybe just lucky

MBK has everything and pricing varies, so unless you know exactly what you want, YMMV. For just a simple prepaid call sim card, then 7/11 is fine.

Last edited by dtsm; Jun 29, 2016 at 8:15 am
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:39 am

I noticed the current posted top up codes for true move h tourist sim, both columns (with different prices) use the same top-up codes, so one or the other or both are wrong I suppose.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/inte...it_thailand/en

I've also noticed, that when I'm home in the USA, the true iservice app that I set up and logged into in Thailand still shows my balance, phone number (right below "Hello", I've blacked it out to post it here) and remaining days, even though I'm using my home SIM.

None of the online or app based top-up options seem to work with a US credit card. I've tried several different options, including 3rd party top-ups. I suppose it could be because of the SIM type, but Yanisa has figured how to top it up remotely from a phone shop in her town. I think she just does it 30Bt at a time.

I have tried porting my number to a non-tourist SIM, but the answers are either it can't be done (True), or it takes several days (AIS), so I've abandoned that option.

The app itself shows some top-op packages also, but just the basic 49Bt-1day/249Bt-1GB-7day data packages.

-David
Attached Images  

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 1, 2016 at 4:58 am
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
What plan is recommended when I land at BKK for average two week use? Probably data/google maps will be used more than voice.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg0ire
What plan is recommended when I land at BKK for average two week use? Probably data/google maps will be used more than voice.
You could try one of the tourist SIM options, there are 30 day versions.

Or just buy any SIM, add value, then subscribe to a 30 day package, maybe in the 1 - 5 GB range?

In the SIAM BTS station DTAC and AIS have small shops within the station, TrueMove H have a large shop in the Discovery Mall, attached to the station. Haven't seen any large lines anywhere, just get a number at the entrance. In the malls the shops are huge, with dozens of employees and short wait-times.

There are top-up machines everywhere, very easy to use. Enter your phone number, choose an amount, insert money. Most/all SIMs get 30 days expiry for each top-up of any amount, up to a max. of 365 days (so 12 top-ups of 10 baht each, 12 with the fee, for 144 baht would extend your expiry to 365 days.) Anyone can top-up your account if they have the number. In addition there may other long-term expiry options.

Any pre-paid SIM in the 49 baht range is sufficient.

If you are uncomfortable dealing with people outside of the airport then by all means queue up and wait.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed the current posted top up codes for true move h tourist sim, both columns (with different prices) use the same top-up codes, so one or the other or both are wrong I suppose.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/inte...it_thailand/en

I can't see the same top-up codes?

I've also noticed, that when I'm home in the USA, the true iservice app that I set up and logged into in Thailand still shows my balance, phone number (right below "Hello", I've blacked it out to post it here) and remaining days, even though I'm using my home SIM.

Interesting, I assume the app. is working over your data (mobile/WiFi signal), maybe based on your recognized IMEI, or just having the app? IMLE, you need the SIM installed, and need a mobile signal.

None of the online or app based top-up options seem to work with a US credit card. I've tried several different options, including 3rd party top-ups. I suppose it could be because of the SIM type, but Yanisa has figured how to top it up remotely from a phone shop in her town. I think she just does it 30Bt at a time.

I wouldn't bother with trying a remote CC top-up. Send me your phone number and tell me what expiry you want and I'll do some 12 baht/30 day top-ups for you.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topup

I have tried porting my number to a non-tourist SIM, but the answers are either it can't be done (True), or it takes several days (AIS), so I've abandoned that option.

You can't "port" within a provider, you can port out to another provider. You'll lose any balance. Not sure it's worth it, just keep True, change plans, top-up as needed or switch to another provider/new number.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/inte...it_thailand/en[/I]

I can't see the same top-up codes?
On the page I referenced above, first click on "upgrade options for tourist SIM", which takes you towards the bottom of that same page.

Then click on "details" and then 'upgrade' to expand the prices and short codes for each one under both columns.

The codes are the same in both columns, same in the thai version of that page. That can't be right.

-David
Attached Images    
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume that the same code can be used, and the resulting subscribed package will be based on whether you have the 49 baht SIM/pkg (data only), or the 299 baht SIM/pkg.

So if you have the 49 baht SIM/Pkg and send *990*8984# you pay 100 baht (maybe 107 baht with VAT) and get 1 GB of data.

But if you have the 299 baht/SIM/Pkg, and send *990*8984#, you pay 150 baht and get 50 baht of talk-time and 1 GB of data.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:40 pm

that's a stretch

.. I think they just published the wrong codes for at least one of them.

because even the 49Bt version includes some talk time.

I'll find out in a few weeks.

You are the one that told me those codes change all the time. And of course you were correct.

Anyway, I'd really rather prefer to just top up with one of those as soon as I land, rather than having to stop at the booth to figure out what I need and what the code is. But that's the backup plan. At least this time I'm arriving late morning, so should be easy either way.

-David
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am fairly certain you can add any value amount to your Tourist SIM.

I am fairly certain you can subscribe to any add-on plan - not just the ones shown on the Tourist SIM page(s) - to your tourist SIM.

Personally, assuming you want to maintain expiry/number, I would make multiple 10 baht top-ups to maximize your expiry, especially towards the end of your visit, then add enough extra to cover the mobile data plan you ant to subscribe to. For 10 baht top-ups you'll need to use a machine, these are located everywhere.

They are always adding new codes for promotions/plans. Not sure how much they change codes for existing plans?

You may be able to use that iService app. to subscribe to a new plan? I haven't used it in a while.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/?ln=en

They have these racks in every 7/11 - not sure of they still do - with all the TrueMove H packages. You choose the card, take it to the register, which reads the bard-code, give them your number and money, and you are registered, very easy.

If you let me know what sort of plan you're looking for I can do some more research.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Sorry, I have never done this before. So, if I plan to use my phone for two weeks with mostly data and maybe some voice, I purchase a Prepaid Sim for 49 bhat plus 1-5 GB of data at the same location. If I run out of data I can top it off pretty easily elsewhere.
Assuming the above is correct, how do I know when I am running low? If I purchase 5 GB, it will just stop working once that number is reached?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.