Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
7-11 required my passport (got dtac Happy) and they registered me there. Prices were really good and they sent me SMS about how to to renew via USSD code (keying things in my keypad on my phone with no need to call anyone, speak to anyone, or use the website)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by transpac
You will have to register your SIM.

These look like the current "Tourist" oriented SIMs:

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...-packages.html

(Note the new 6 month/50 baht and 12 month/100 baht expiration options, good deal and a nice offer in case you plan tor eturn.)
yes that would make for a Happy Tourist
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:01 am

DTAC is great. Last time I put the NUSCH.ZONE telecom-app on top in order to have low rates all over Thailand. Works in mobile an WiFi networks. Now back the Nusch app is my favorite one to call abroad.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:59 am

Yeah, enjoyed it one month ago as well. On top I used the Nusch-app from NUSCH.ZONE to set up international calls. For this telecom app works in mobile and WiFi networks I got covered where ever I was.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, hotels.com
Curious as to what I should do. I'm looking mainly for unlimited data of some sort and being able to text home. however, with texting I could use iMessage which is free over data so thats clutch...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:32 pm

There seems to be a number of packages that offer unlimited data but you get throttled after a certain amount. But IMO, pre-paid data packages are really cheap in SE Asia.

I like to use this pre-paid sim website to see what the options are for countries I travel to.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jay71
There seems to be a number of packages that offer unlimited data but you get throttled after a certain amount. But IMO, pre-paid data packages are really cheap in SE Asia.

I like to use this pre-paid sim website to see what the options are for countries I travel to.
Thank you! I will check out the website. I have never been to Asia but have always heard its super cheap to get a SIM card.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kylebrewington
Curious as to what I should do. I'm looking mainly for unlimited data of some sort and being able to text home. however, with texting I could use iMessage which is free over data so thats clutch...
There are so many offers it is challenging to keep up.

The tourist SIM packages might be the easiest option.

Or just buy a SIM, add value, then subscribe to the mobile data package which meets your requirements.

Do you know how long you plan to stay? Approx how much data you would use? Do you want to keep the number for a future visit?

A SIM is 50-100 baht, 1 GB is 199/30 days, 3 GB is 399/30 days, local calls are ~ 1 baht/min (all ranges/estimates). Most "non-stop" data plans have a FuP from 64-384 Kbps.

TrueMove H and DTAC have 4G/LTE (and 3G), but 3G is fine.

The "government" is getting a bit more interested in controlling internet access, so expect things to get a lot worse before they get better.

I just bought a new SIM in a counter-shop in a mall for someone arriving this week; it was very easy. They used the NBTC 2-shots smartphone app to snap my passport (copy), the SIM is registered.

I bought this one: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/s...aid/entry/5133 (79 baht), did 12 (10 baht top-ups) to get 12 months expiration, added a bit more, then subscribed to a 500 MB/30 day plan for 199 baht, this plan comes with a monthly bonus of 1 GB so 1.5 GB in total.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:05 pm

Im going to be in Thailand for probably 10-12 days total. I expect my data usage wouldn't be more than 1GB or so in that time frame (especially with low speed data). I won't really need to make local calls I don't think unless its taxis or something.

Also, out of country calling, I can wait for wifi to use FaceTime or FaceTime audio and that will work fine for me to call home. Really all Im worried about is the data because I'll use Facebook messenger and iMessage to communicate with home.

And the way I understand it is that iMessage won't cost anything as long as I have the sufficient amount of data available.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kylebrewington
Im going to be in Thailand for probably 10-12 days total. I expect my data usage wouldn't be more than 1GB or so in that time frame (especially with low speed data).

And the way I understand it is that iMessage won't cost anything as long as I have the sufficient amount of data available.
One of the Tourist SIMs might work best for you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25511245-post432.html

Any apps which use data (messaging, VoIP) will work OK, and do not require any extra charges; VoIP here has been degrading.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by transpac
One of the Tourist SIMs might work best for you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25511245-post432.html

Any apps which use data (messaging, VoIP) will work OK, and do not require any extra charges; VoIP here has been degrading.
Awesome. I don't really need excellent quality for VoIP as I'll only need to call home a couple times (messaging will suffice for the most part).

I will probably pick up the traveller SIM when I get there! Thank you
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I picked up a 30 day SIM from True for 300 baht. Included 1.5 gigs of data, and 100 (?) baht of calling credit. It was nice being able to log into the True wifi networks that seemed to be present just about anywhere I was.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
For those coming from the US if you have Tmobile you'll be all set. Free International SMS and free data (128 kpbs). Fast enough for google maps and SMS and such until you find a wifi hotspot. $.20 calls. No need for SIM imo unless you make a lot of calls (or need to use GrabTaxi).

ProjectFi from Google also works in Thailand.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those coming from the US if you have Tmobile you'll be all set.

Some have reported that DTAC is also a local T-Mo roaming partner: they have 2G/1800, 3G/850 & 2100 and 4G/2100 & 1800 (new).

AIS is T-Mo's roaming partner here, for now. They are about to lose their GSM900 spectrum (Dec.?) so you'll need a 3G/2100 MHz capable phone. Yes, it works but much easier to get a local SIM unless you need to field calls on your U.S. number? (Some colleagues use 2 phones when visiting.)

GoogleVoice/Hangouts, Talkatone work fine but often only outbound calling when on WiFi IME.

You can get inexpensive WiFi here but 3G/4G is still best. I have free WiFi on my plan but never use it.

TrueMove H, and AIS, do have the best WiFi affiliations.

Last edited by transpac; Nov 23, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:49 pm

Just come back from Phuket.

Free sim being offered at HKT baggage claim area by True. Came with 10THB free calling and 20MB free data. I could have taken the sim myself and activated, as activation instructions were quite clear on the package, however they were insistent that they activate it at the booth. You could buy credit at the booth or 7-11. Opted for 7-11.

Lots of plans:

50THB - 1 day 160MB data
150THB - 3 days 500MB data
200THB - 7 days 1.5GB data
300THB - 7 days 1GB data + 100 min local calls
350THB - 15 days 1.5GB data
650THB - 30 days 3GB data
They claim the above plans are unlimited, but the small print confirms the fact that they are capped at the above rates.

They also offered the following plans:
79THB - 500MB full speed, then capped at 128Kpbs after that
59THB - 500MB at 512Kpbs, then capped at 64Kbps after that

3G speeds, but very good speed. No problem with web surfing, facebooking, etc and was even able to make very good quality Voip calls without any issues.

Top up at 7/11 was easy. Tell cashier how much you want to top up, give them your phone number and that's it. Get an SMS confirmation. You then choose your plan and tap in the relevant code associated to your chosen plan (codes are provided in the sim pack and via sms).

I did also note that other providers were offering tourist sim plans in 7-11, etc. Reason I ended up with True is because I got the free sim at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.