Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by transpac
After the period is up on the tourist SIM, you would have to add value and subscribe to another data plan; the 229 baht would not automatically recharge.
In this case I think it would make more sense to get one week 229B SIM and extended it with 50B for another 180 days.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
In this case I think it would make more sense to get one week 229B SIM and extended it with 50B for another 180 days.
It all depends on your usage, plans, requirements, length of stay, budget, plans to return, etc. You can pretty much do anything.

I would recommend turning mobile data off at the end of the period, as you will start being charged for data connectivity, at 1 baht/min and burn through any residual balance in short order.

I think you get one week with the 299 Tourist SIM, and the 229 offer looks like an add-on for a second week?

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytour...sponsive-tabs3

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...-packages.html
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by transpac
I would recommend turning mobile data off at the end of the period
You mean by sending code/SMS? Because after 4 days I am leaving country and removing SIM from the phone.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
You mean by sending code/SMS? Because after 4 days I am leaving country and removing SIM from the phone.
No, not exactly. If you are staying in Thailand 4 days after a current period, I would suggest:

1.) Having a balance below that of any monthly recurring plan. Alternatively you could contact DTAC and request cancellation of any recurring plan.

2.) Turning mobile data of on the phone (Android: Settings, Data usage, Cellular data)

I confess to not understanding your circumstances. If you want to share any details, I can make specific recommendations.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mobile Phone Top-up Machines

I often refer to mobile phone top-up machines, useful for their convenience, ease of use, and ability to perform low-value top-ups thereby extending expiration, so for 12 baht (10 baht goes to the balance, 2 baht is the fee) you can add 30 days expiry, and for 144 baht you get 120 baht balance and the maximum of 366 days.

These machines are everywhere, have English-language option and are easy to use. Press the screen, choose English, choose Mobile Top-up, enter the 10 digit (for now) number, choose the amount (10 baht up to 300 baht), add money, wait for the SMS from your provider.

I think some/many/most/all BTS stations have these machines (on the ticketing concourse level), centrally located on both/either side of the station. You'll also find these machines outside many convenience stores.
Attached Images   
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:27 am

For those of us who travel to Thailand every one or two months for short trips (2-4 days), this seems to be a good choice, I think?

- buy DTAC SIM
- load up using your 10 THB kiosk method
- subscribe to 29baht package https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...t-package.html
- Thai version of the page is http://www.dtac.co.th/prepaid/produc...t-package.html. I think this means 1gb/day at full speeds, and then unlimited at 64kbps?

Would I be correct in assuming this 29baht is only charged for every day I try to access the internet? That is, no charge when the SIM has been removed from the phone?

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That 29 baht/24 hour does look to provide full-speed 3G/4G for a 24 hour period (not midnight-midnight) up to 1 GB (was 500 MB previously), with a FuP of 64 Kbps.

Not sure if it auto-renews, or if you have to re-subscribe (I suspect the latter but may be wrong).

Plans which automatically recur will be charged regardless of whether the SIM is in your phone, so you need to proactively cancel plans.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:06 pm

Landed and got the Mrs 30 day 6gb tru move B$500 at airport
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AIS 2G/GSM900 concession goes dark on Monday, 14 March. Some 4 million customers might be affected.

As of today, and this can change as it has changed over the last 48 hours several times, they may be able to roam on the new TrueMove 900 MHz network, until the end of May.

True change of heart on AIS 2G fee

True Corporation has made a sudden about-face and will allow Advanced Info Service to use True's 900-megahertz network free of charge. It will further allow AIS to retain its existing 2G customers for...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...-on-ais-2g-fee

Last edited by transpac; Mar 11, 2016 at 6:44 pm
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'Respite' for AIS's 400,000 users facing cut-off

The telecom regulator asked the Central Administrative Court Tuesday to allow the AIS extend the signals for 2G SIM cards on the 900-megahertz network until March 21, according to people familiar to the...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...facing-cut-off
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I'm apologizing in advance. I read through some of these pages, but have still have no idea what I should use. I rarely travel outside of US and CAN.

My wife and I will be in Thailand for two weeks. We both have an iPhone 6 with Verizon. How much should a SIM card with unlimited calling and data cost for two weeks? Where do you recommend I get the card? At one of the machines from the picture above?

Thank you!!!

Last edited by greg0ire; Apr 5, 2016 at 9:49 pm
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by greg0ire

My wife and I will be in Thailand for two weeks. We both have an iPhone 6 with Verizon. How much should a SIM card with unlimited calling and data cost for two weeks? Where do you recommend I get the card? At one of the machines from the picture above?
Easy...when you exit customs, near doors 7-5 there are numerous kiosks of network providers. True is the recommended network. Clearly marked prices/options. There's no unlimited call/data but the actual cost for two wks for data/calls will be around $10-15 per account and recharging is easy.

They'll set up for you immediately and you'll be good to go before departing for town!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: most of them
make sure your phone is unlocked

You can do it at the airport as noted. Or if you don't mind waiting all of the big malls have stores for each provider.

I have had good luck with dtac so I usually just use them. They have at least one person working there who speaks reasonable English. They can help you figure out which product you need. Do you really need unlimited calling? I typically just get whatever has a reasonable amount of data since I don't make calls much or do a lot of texting. They also all have websites that show you their various products so you can get an idea of cost. Pretty sure they all offer free public wifi as well. You see signs up in all of the malls for example about using their wifi. With dtac when you activate your SIM they send you a bunch of text messages telling you how to access their wifi hotspots. I presume the others do as well.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Thank you, both. I don't need unlimited calling. I thought I read somewhere that it and data were offered with unlimited plans for cheap. It's really the data I am interested in. Again, I've never needed to get a SIM card before.

Does $10-$15 give me adequate data usage for two weeks. I'll probably be checking email, using GPS related apps, surfing web, sending pics, but not likely to be streaming.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: most of them
yes, for two weeks that is probably about right.

Another thing is to use wifi when you're in the hotel for example so you don't end up using your data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.