Old May 18, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I'm arriving past midnight in BKK. Are there any 24 hrs restaurant where I can kill time before I check in the morning?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 8:03 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Where are you staying? I believe the cafe at the Shangri-la is operates 24 hour a day. And it is not just a "cafe" but ratehr a decent riverside restaurant. You can even sit outside and get eaten by misquitoes if you like

Scho
Old Jul 10, 2004, 5:47 pm
Suspended

At about what time do people generally eat dinner in Thailand?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 2:32 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, Marriott reward, worldperk, six priority, radisson
Talking

Local Thai start their dinner at around 6:30 to 7:30. Most visitors starts at 7:30 to 8:00. For local favorite restaurant, it will be very busy from 6:30 till 8:30. If you wish to have dinner at those local favorite, it is the advice to make reservation after 8pm, you'll get a table. But for visitor's favorite restaurant, my strong recommendation is be there before 6:30 even without reservation. You're still get a table.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:07 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Just noticed this thread. i would second the recommendations for the Blue Elephant and Celadon (at the Sukothai). It is a tough call between these 2 places for the best Thai food I have ever eaten.
I would also put in a ^ for Blue Elephant (expensive for Thai standards but very good). Service was exceptional and the owners are very convivial. With the above comment in mind (plus a few other positive reviews from posters in this thread), it looks like I must try Celadon upon my return at the end of the year.

My last trip was very Thai food-centric as I also tried Sala Rim Naam and Thiptara (new Thai restaurant at the Pen). I was unimpressed with Sala Rim Naam; the show seemed forced although the setting and the ambience were magnificent. The food was also underwhelming. Thiptara was slightly better but it wasn't very memorable (not spicy and kinda bland). For the prices they are charging, it seems to me that only tour groups (SRN) and ppl staying at the respective hotels (who don't want the hassle of leaving) would eat at these beautiful restaurants. Have they improved?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Pen or the Oriental's New Year's Eve dinner/fireworks events? It seems like the Pen is holding their black tie thing on the Terrace (!!!) this year. I'm not quite that keen on wearing a tux in 90+ weather and 90% humidity although the fireworks would probably make up for it.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:49 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Paladin
I would HIGHLY recommend the Blue Elephant.

In a gorgeous old house, beautiful dining room, attentive service, excellent food.

You can also take a cooking class - I took a five day cooking class with them back in July.

The chef is featured in the October (November?) Saveur magazine as one of the top three most innovative chefs in Bangkok.

The blue elephant also has a web site.
That issue of Saveur (October 2003, no. 69) also mentions chef Ian Chalermkittichai at the Regent hotel. Anyone eaten at any of the restaurants there?

The third is chef Vichit Mikura at the Oriental's Thai restaurant Sala Rim Naam. Any recent experiences there?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:26 am

What would be recognized as a national/regional dish?

Visiting BKK in January for about 5 days with my brother. Looking for good places/good authentic food.

For example, when I think of Singapore and food, I imagine the chilli crab at No Signboard Seafood in Kallang.

When in Bangkok, is there a national/regional dish and a restaurant that is known for serving it?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by IfItAintBoeing
Visiting BKK in January for about 5 days with my brother. Looking for good places/good authentic food.

For example, when I think of Singapore and food, I imagine the chilli crab at No Signboard Seafood in Kallang.

When in Bangkok, is there a national/regional dish and a restaurant that is known for serving it?
Bangkok is smack dab in the middle of Thailand and the food served is hence mostly central Thai, by far the best known variety and what you'll get in any Thai restaurant in the world (or at least pale imitations thereof).

A rough listing of the central Thai classics would be...
* tom yum kung soup (probably the Thai-est dish of them all)
* tom kha gai soup (chicken, coconut, galanga)
* Thai fried noodles (phad thai)
* green curry with beef (kaeng khio-waan neua)
* red curry with duck (kaeng daeng phet)

Do a search for recommendations, this has come up over before. I usually bring visitors to Baan Khanitha, which usually does very good stuff at reasonable prices (by Western standards) and will tone down the chilis by default.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:34 am

Went to Suda for the first time a few weeks ago. It was the best Thai meal we had in our 2 weeks in Thailand. Cheap and dirty (I'd put the chance of food poisoning at 25% ), but it was excellent. We were there at 9:30 or 10:00 PM on Friday and it was a mix of middle aged male expats eating by themselves a few local couples or small groups and a bunch of large parties that appeared to consist of one or two locals or expats who were entertaining a bunch of friends from out of town.
Two of us ordered enough for 4 people, had a couple of big beers and the bill was slightle over 400B ($10US).
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:17 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jpatokal
There's also another new rooftop bar/restaurant in BKK that's actually a bit higher up than Vertigo, namely Sirocco atop the State Tower; it opened very recently and I haven't been here yet, but I have heard good things about it. The food is still not Thai, but Mediterranean though (and it's also very expensive by Thai standards). A report by somebody who did go there: http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/bui...te/state.shtml

Just ate on the 64th floor of the State Tower last week, but inside at Mezzaluna and then outside to Flutes for champagne. Mezzaluna (Italian obviously) was quite good, but again expensive by Thai standards. We spent $200 for three, but the wine is really what gets you here. They had bottles that sell for $2 in Australia for $85. Our check was mostly wine, so it's possible to eat there more reasonably. The views are amazing. Flutes, which is outside and adjacent to Sirocco, has a band out on the roof. Awesome setting.

I also find Baan Khanitha so-so, but I do enjoy the platter you start with there - I believe it's English translation is something like five chickens. My favorite place for that is Suan Thip, but it's pretty far to go from Bangkok for a meal. I'm curious jpatokal if you (or anyone else) have other recommendations for restaurants in Bangkok where that's available.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El Boocho
Went to Suda for the first time a few weeks ago. It was the best Thai meal we had in our 2 weeks in Thailand. Cheap and dirty (I'd put the chance of food poisoning at 25% ), but it was excellent. We were there at 9:30 or 10:00 PM on Friday and it was a mix of middle aged male expats eating by themselves a few local couples or small groups and a bunch of large parties that appeared to consist of one or two locals or expats who were entertaining a bunch of friends from out of town.
Two of us ordered enough for 4 people, had a couple of big beers and the bill was slightle over 400B ($10US).
I usually take guests/visitors to Suda as it is close to my apartment, and easy for people to get to (Asoke BTS station, very close to both the Sheraton and Westin hotels). In fact I went with another FT'er last Wednesday evening (24 August). It is an open-air restaurant so no air-con.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:24 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by El Boocho
It's one of my favorite restaurants. I wouldn't really consider it dirty...just very informal and not at all fancy (an understatement)
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, Marriott reward, worldperk, six priority, radisson
Spice market and Erawan Tea Room !!!

These are my favourite Thai restaurant whenever I need to bring my visitor for lunch or dinner. Spice is in FS while Erawan Tea Room in GH.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:29 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I was looking for something or the other around Wireless road one evening and came across The Ninth Cafe . 59/5 Soi Langsuan, Ploenchit Road, Bangkok 10330

The place and service was very pleasant. I think I ordered "off" the menu, which I find a good attribute of decent restaurants in Asia. They'll cook up what you want, even if it's not on their menu. Some garlic shrimp, phak bung, rice. A good dousing of nam phrik pla...
(Thanks to transpac for reminding me of this thread.)
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:20 am

some non-Thai food choices in Bangkok

Mediterranean Food
Bed Supperclub (Sukhumvit Soi 11)
Cyan in the Metropolitan Hotel (South Sathorn Rd)
Mezzaluna on the 65th floor State Tower (Silom Rd near the river)
Sirocco on the rooftop State Tower

Italian Food
Biscotti in the Four Seasons Hotel (Rajadamri Rd)
Calderazzo (Soi Lang Suan)
Zanotti on Soi Saladaeng (off Silom Rd)

Vietnamese Food
Le Dalat (Sukhumvit Soi 23)

Japanese Food
Koi (Sukhumvit Soi 20)
Nippon Tei (Rajadamri Rd)
Nami in the JW Marriott Hotel (Sukhumvit Soi 2)

Korean Food
Kongju in the Prathumwan Hotel (attached to the MBK shopping center)

Steaks
Madison in the Four Seasons Hotel (Rajadamri Rd)
New York in the JW Marriott Hotel (Sukhumvit Soi 2)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.