FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
FS Bangkok's Madison Tgiving Dinner

It took a bit of digging but here is a link to info from the October 2011 email about Madison's Tgiving Dinner:
http://www.premierthailand.com/Enews...raditional.php

Can anyone find others? We're scheduled to be in BKK that week to visit family, though the likelihood is getting slimmer.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:31 am

Not being American I would perhaps be guessing when i say 'there must be a plethora of places serving Thanksgiving.

To name but a few I guess..
http://www.nileguide.com/destination...ns-in-bangkok/
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:17 am

Location: Usually Paris and Rome, but could be just about anywhere
Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Any recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner in BKK? From 2009 article, the top 3 mentioned are Bourbon St, Sheraton Grande and Madison at the Four Seasons Hotel. Is that still the case or are there any others you guys would recommend? Ideally, a non-buffet affair would be great.

None of the three mentioned above has anything on their websites about Thanksgiving yet.
I haven't been to Thanksgiving dinner at any of these places, but I have eaten at both the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and the Four Seasons. The former wins hands down, and based on their excellent Sunday brunches that include a number of roast meats, I'd choose them to roast my turkey. Also based on Sunday brunch experiences, it may be a buffet, but it's one heck of a buffet. Recommended. The food at the Four Seasons on the other hand has been more often disappointing than not. (Completely unrelated, but writing this also reminds me that the FS barber shop is a disaster. A friend of mine left there bleeding once, not a little nick, but like something out of a mad slasher movie.)

If you have access to a kitchen, Villa Market already has a bunch of Butterball turkeys in the freezer. I am still on the look out for an unadulterated turkey for my Thanksgiving celebration. I'm guessing that they will be easier to find as the date approaches (unless we're all on rafts floating out to the Gulf by that time).

Last edited by vincentinparis; Nov 5, 2011 at 9:54 am
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by vincentinparis
I haven't been to Thanksgiving dinner at any of these places, but I have eaten at both the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and the Four Seasons. The former wins hands down, and based on their excellent Sunday brunches that include a number of roast meats, I'd choose them to roast my turkey. Also based on Sunday brunch experiences, it may be a buffet, but it's one heck of a buffet. Recommended. The food at the Four Seasons on the other hand has been more often disappointing than not. (Completely unrelated, but writing this also reminds me that the FS barber shop is a disaster. A friend of mine left there bleeding once, not a little nick, but like something out of a mad slasher movie.)

If you have access to a kitchen, Villa Market already has a bunch of Butterball turkeys in the freezer. I am still on the look out for an unadulterated turkey for my Thanksgiving celebration. I'm guessing that they will be easier to find as the date approaches (unless we're all on rafts floating out to the Gulf by that time).
Amazing to have an oven in BKK, much less one that can fit a turkey. I had to smoke mine in the Weber every year. It comes out better than any other method, but it's a pain in the butt keeping proper temperature all day. If you don't want to spend hotel $$, try Los Cabos Grill on Soi 14 (behind the Sheraton). Robb deep fries, smokes, and bakes turkeys every Thanksgiving. It's a beautiful old Victorian building, with big verandas, under some huge banyan trees. wj
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Saw a freezer full of whole turkeys at Central Chidlom back in September, along with a few whole turkey breasts. As you'd expect, they were crazy expensive (by North American standards), but I seem to recall them NOT being Butterball or other adulterated versions... possibly from NZ or some such(?)... really not sure, but do remember it being something different that made me stop and look twice.

Sure wish we had an oven...
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:24 pm

Found some others...

Plaza Athénée - All The More to Be Grateful For Traditional Thanksgiving at The Rain Tree Cafe

Westin Grande Sukhumvit - Traditional Indulgence at Taste

Novotel on Siam Square - Thanksgiving Day at The Square International Restaurant

Century Park Hotel - Thanksgiving Day

Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
Not being American I would perhaps be guessing when i say 'there must be a plethora of places serving Thanksgiving.

To name but a few I guess..
http://www.nileguide.com/destination...ns-in-bangkok/
FYI... the linked page does give a helpful starting point for Americans (or fans of the US Thanksgiving spread) to check on, but please note that it's from last year...

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Nov 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:16 am

I was in Paragon this evening, and there were two types of frozen turkeys, one "unadulterated" and the other Butterball. They were 220B/kilo and 230B/kilo respectively, and the average size was 5-6 kilos (roughly 11-14 lbs.) which really should be enough for a crowd. I think there were also some boneless roasts, but I wasn't really looking for those and didn't check the prices.

So a turkey will set you back about 1500B (which is a lot less than a lot of the Thanksgiving menus being quoted here). On the bright side, you could easily feed twenty or more hungry friends with just one turkey. For a pork chop dinner the other night, I made a super simple dressing of bread, celery, onions and mushrooms, pretty much what I stuff my turkey with, and my friends here were scraping the bottom of the pan to get every last crusty bit out. I think this Thanksgiving, my first in Thailand, is going to be a hit.

Barbecued turkey reminds me of one of the biggest Thanksgiving dinners I threw a few years ago in London. I needed two turkeys to feed the fifty some guests, but getting just one in the oven was enough of a challenge. The neighbors I hoped could lend their oven couldn't, and I was left with the option of sending my stuffed turkey across town in a cab to have it cooked somewhere else, or finding a creative solution myself.

Creativity won out. Off came the legs and wings of turkey number two, and in it went into my family-sized tagine, stuffing and all, and that went on the stove. The legs were wedged into the oven, leaving me a four-legged mutant beast to roast. Both were great. I am pretty sure turkey tagine isn't traditional in Morocco, but at least I'll know what to do if I am ever stuck in a riad for Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by mr&mrs
Saw a freezer full of whole turkeys at Central Chidlom back in September, along with a few whole turkey breasts. As you'd expect, they were crazy expensive (by North American standards), but I seem to recall them NOT being Butterball or other adulterated versions... possibly from NZ or some such(?)... really not sure, but do remember it being something different that made me stop and look twice.

Sure wish we had an oven...
No oven needed to cook a turkey....one of the best ways to cook a turkey is deep frying . Delicious!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jkingsle
No oven needed to cook a turkey....one of the best ways to cook a turkey is deep frying . Delicious!
Agreed... unfortunately, we have no terrace or balcony, either... and nobody to share a big ol' turkey in any case.

Looks like one of the hotels will have to do. Besides, the turkey is really just a bonus -- the real priority is to find somebody serving traditional pumpkin pie... after that, it's all good!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Year's End

I've booked La Table de Tee for New Year's Eve dinner and based on what I've heard about it, I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone here been there recently?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mr&mrs
Agreed... unfortunately, we have no terrace or balcony, either... and nobody to share a big ol' turkey in any case.

Looks like one of the hotels will have to do. Besides, the turkey is really just a bonus -- the real priority is to find somebody serving traditional pumpkin pie... after that, it's all good!
Now pumpkin pie is something that's easy to produce here, and if you make it from scratch, the local pumpkins are way tastier than anything you can get in the States!

Just in case anyone was thinking about getting turkeys from Central Chidlom or Central Food Hall, the exact same Butterballs are selling for 320B/kilo, nearly 100B/kilo more than the Gourmet Markets, and will set you back at least 2000B. They did have some bigger (9kg) birds, so if that happens to be what you're looking for, and you're willing to pay the premium, you know where to go.

The boned turkey breast roasts were selling for a whopping 660B/kilo. And I don't even like white meat.

I won't be able to go until next week, but Foodland often has more competitive prices on imported food. Also Big C has been advertising in the French press about their imported products from France. I wonder if that includes things that would be useful for Thanksgiving, like chestnuts.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jkingsle
True. It cost me 2X as much for the oil as for the bird though. Not to mention $120 for the fryer (which I never used again). Definitely must be done outside. It causes hundreds of house fires every Nov 25. wj
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
True. It cost me 2X as much for the oil as for the bird though. Not to mention $120 for the fryer (which I never used again). Definitely must be done outside. It causes hundreds of house fires every Nov 25. wj
The oil has certainly gotten more expensive over the years since I first did a turkey! You can filter the oil and then keep it in the fridge.... Not sure what cooking oil prices are like in BKK though in comparison to the turkey.... and I am sure that the fryer in BKK doesn't cost $120
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Just in case anyone was thinking about getting turkeys from Central Chidlom or Central Food Hall, the exact same Butterballs are selling for 320B/kilo, nearly 100B/kilo more than the Gourmet Markets, and will set you back at least 2000B. They did have some bigger (9kg) birds, so if that happens to be what you're looking for, and you're willing to pay the premium, you know where to go.
It somehow isn't very American to be referencing Thanksgiving edibles in kgs.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It somehow isn't very American to be referencing Thanksgiving edibles in kgs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.