Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Both trains should be fine. Even with the 6:02AM train you will still be able to reach the TG check-in counters in time/before the checkin deadline. Lines for exit immigration should be OK, but it can be a hit or miss at BKK, but even long lines are unlikely to prevent you from getting to the gate in time when you have checked in at the TG counters before the check-in deadline.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Barkinpark
When does the first Airport Rail Link train departs from downtown to BKK? Most general websites say 6:00am, but the Srtet website says the first train departs Makkasan at 5:34am.

Airport Rail Link

The Srtet website is reliable, correct?

Also, if my TG flight for Taipei departs at 8:15am (economy; no TG or Star Alliance status) on a Wed, can I make it if I board:
(1) 5:34am train, or
(2) 6:02am train (just in case the trains really don't begin service till 6am)?

I am assuming that I won't time for lounge. Perhaps a little, depending on the situation. Is immigration for exiting the country horrendous?

From your experience, which gates will such a flight depart at?

Thanks for your guidance.
In my case, usually travelling F or J, and with *G status,and with APEC for immigration, I still like to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure.
So with an 8:15 departure, I would be in a taxi from downtown Bangkok around 5:45 AM. The difference between subway plus train and taxi is less than 200 Baht.
I wouldn't be worrying about exact timing of first ARL.

If no status and Y class class, I assume you have access to PP lounge? There are many of them in BKK, in jut about every concourse.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
In my case, usually travelling F or J, and with *G status,and with APEC for immigration, I still like to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure.
So with an 8:15 departure, I would be in a taxi from downtown Bangkok around 5:45 AM. The difference between subway plus train and taxi is less than 200 Baht.
I wouldn't be worrying about exact timing of first ARL.

If no status and Y class class, I assume you have access to PP lounge? There are many of them in BKK, in jut about every concourse.
Thanks. I am afraid of using taxis because I am a solo female. If I were traveling with somebody else, then using taxis makes the most sense. So, in my case, cost isn't the reason at all, but safety. From time to time, I read in the news about female tourists getting raped in Thailand. So, in this entire trip, I will just use public transit. I will eat and shop at places close to transit stations and will not venture into smaller streets.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks. I am afraid of using taxis because I am a solo female. If I were traveling with somebody else, then using taxis makes the most sense. So, in my case, cost isn't the reason at all, but safety. From time to time, I read in the news about female tourists getting raped in Thailand. So, in this entire trip, I will just use public transit. I will eat and shop at places close to transit stations and will not venture into smaller streets.
Hotels can arrange for a car service, which tends to be twice the cost of a taxi, though probably much safer.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I don't know where you are coming from but these kinds of (awful) things happen in many places - that being said I am single female and have taken taxi's for many years without incident (well, except for attempts to overcharge). If you aren't comfortable fine, but there is also the option of grab taxi which at least has you tracked so they know where you are and who the driver is. I prefer public transport too, but with luggage or if the rail system breaks down (which it does) it's good to have an alternative.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:26 am

Deleted

Last edited by northsideguy; Oct 6, 2019 at 6:06 am
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I am afraid of using taxis because I am a solo female.

Use GrabCar (choose the CAR option). Totally safe. Should be easy to get a car early in the AM, I do this often.

I'm a HUGE fan of GrabCar.

SARL Schedule shows first train at 05:34 (05:33 on SA and SU). 22 min for Makkasan to SBIA/BKK. No clue how accurate those are?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Thanks. I am afraid of using taxis because I am a solo female. If I were traveling with somebody else, then using taxis makes the most sense. .
Its funny - when I was driving taxi in my university days, we would always await the surge of calls at midnight when companies would pay for taxis for single
females leaving work alone - that was considered the safest and most responsible way for the women to go home.

I suppose as a single male, it is easy for me to discount your fears; so I will try not to do so.
Are you travelling on business? Can a customer/client pick you up?
Do you have any friends in BKK who could accompany you?
Last resort - AOT limo.

Public transit is great as long as you do not have any checked luggage, and do not have to worry about timing
of first or last trains.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:16 am

Thanks, everybody. I have booked an airport hotel for the last night. Will have fun in downtown BKK till the last moment when I have to go to the said hotel.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:57 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks, everybody. I have booked an airport hotel for the last night. Will have fun in downtown BKK till the last moment when I have to go to the said hotel.
Actually, that is a good option for early departures. I've done the same once or twice as well.

You can take ARL and then (hopefully) catch the shuttle to your hotel from BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.