Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:03 am

are the prices pretty reasonable?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:35 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Trajan
are the prices pretty reasonable?
Conde Nast did a story in, I think, the November issue on Victor and Raja. Estimated prices at $250 for British wool suit and $300 for Italian wool. Here's their website.
http://www.dress-for-success.com/
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:29 pm

wow thanks!!! ^
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:42 pm

Agree that Rajawongse do a great job, but their' prices are a abit higher then the other tailor shops around. Try walking around some other tailors, you'll see at least a $50 difference. This has been noticed a couple of times already.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:15 pm
RKG

The tailor I use is Herrmann Suits on the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 4. I have bought from Raja's prior to finding Herrmann's. Ask for Mr. Manit or Mr. Saran. I found the quality to be as good as Raja's, and the prices were better. On my last trip to Bangkok, I bought 10 shirts for $250 usd. They have a great selection of fabrics and the service is excellent. I am quite satisfied with the shirts I have purchased. I have probably bought over 25-30 shirts to date. One warning though, Mr. Saran's mom works in the store and she could sell ice to Eskimo's!

Contact info:

phone (662) 252 3917
fax (662) 252 0879

www.herrmannsuits.com

-RKG
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:54 am
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
Raja's

Based on the recommendations in this thread I went to Raja's on Soi 4 (1/6) yesterday. My first impression was not very good, though. The location is unpleasant - right across the street from one of the bars I was hoping to avoid. The shop itself is small, crammed and completely unattractive and the marvelled choice of fabrics was simply non-existent: white shirt is either cotton or cotton-polyester, black pants wool or wool-polyester, one fabric each... Indeed, there are many recommendations on the walls, but at first glance most of them seemed to be from members of the American military. There were a lot of customers in the shop, all of them tourists, none of them wearing tailored clothing, and one tailor to attend to all of us. I ended up ordering much less than I had planned in order to get an impression of the quality first. I will write again to tell you how the outcome was.

-txl.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Are you sure you're talking about the same Raja's? The selection took me over an hour during my initial visit. Other than cotton, linen, and wool, what other fabrics were you looking for?

Your criticism that the customers were mostly tourists weren't you one of these tourists? I have to wear a suit for my job but when I'm on holiday that tie comes off. You would not see me wearing one on a visit here!

And being across the street from "one of the bars" you wanted to avoid certainly isn't their fault or concern. This wasn't worth mentioning but it leaves me to wonder what story lies behind this.

Last edited by SFWanderer; Nov 30, 2006 at 6:04 pm
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Rajawongse shop has great service

Hi. I am in Bangkok tonight and we just picked up 7 shirts that were made for my husband. Nice work and quick great service for a fair price. Today's prices were: $25 for Egyptian cotton shirts, $15 for silk ties, $50 for pants, $300 for full suit.
This shop is at 130 Sukhumvit Rd, near the Landmark Hotel. It is very small but I would highly recommend it for shirts, at least.

He showed us some articles done about the shop and the shop has made clothes for many VIPs.

Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:58 am

I think there has been a misunderstanding. There is a shop named "rajas" and another one named "rajawongse." Incidentally they are brothers. The shop that txl was talking about was probably right, that is Raja's, It was in the location that you were saying. But the shop that is recommended here is Rajawongse. Maybe you should try out Rajawongse next time, seems very popular with many people or else try a tailor my friends and I use regularly. Crown Tailors in soi 8. Both of them have done good work in the past.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:09 am

Like SFWanderer, I also wonder about the comments on fabric selection. When I was there last year, Raja's had one of the biggest shops in Bangkok (in terms of size), and the selection of shirt fabrics, in particular, was very large. I found the tailoring to be good, the quality of fabrics to be ok, though nowhere near as good as the top tailors in Hong Kong.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
to help clear up any confusion:
See http://www.dress-for-success.com/ for the address of Rajawongse (and pictures of Jesse and Victor!) That is the shop that silver springer visited, at 130 Sukhumvit, near NaNa station. Although the shop physically is small, it is jam-packed, and the fabric selection wide and of very high quality.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, HHonors Gold
Rajawongse

Just got back from Bangkok, where I had five shirts and a suit made at Rajawongse, and wanted to mention how satisfied I am - it is possible to get better quality, but only by spending 6x as much. I worked mostly with Victor, and he's an absolute pleasure. Not only am I very satisfied with the finished products, I think it's important to note how enjoyable it is to do business with them. I didn't realize that they only take cash or checks, and so when I went to pick the items up, I ran to the ATM only to realize that I have a $300 daily limit on my ATM card, not enough for the $425 I owed Victor. I was a bit embarrassed, but Victor took it in stride. He suggested that since I was leaving the next afternoon, it would make my packing easier if I took the suit and shirts back to the hotel. So I took the items back to the hotel without leaving partial payment or collateral of any kind. What a pleasure to do business with someone who does fantastic work, and for whom a handshake is as good as collateral!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

I will be going to BKK tomorrow, and am planning to have a couple of suits made at Tramps. I know that Raja and Rajawongse seem to be the popular places to go, but if anyone has any specific questions about Tramps, I would be happy to ask when I'm there.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:12 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, AA, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by txl
Based on the recommendations in this thread I went to Raja's on Soi 4 (1/6) yesterday. My first impression was not very good, though. The location is unpleasant - right across the street from one of the bars I was hoping to avoid. The shop itself is small, crammed and completely unattractive and the marvelled choice of fabrics was simply non-existent: white shirt is either cotton or cotton-polyester, black pants wool or wool-polyester, one fabric each... Indeed, there are many recommendations on the walls, but at first glance most of them seemed to be from members of the American military. There were a lot of customers in the shop, all of them tourists, none of them wearing tailored clothing, and one tailor to attend to all of us. I ended up ordering much less than I had planned in order to get an impression of the quality first. I will write again to tell you how the outcome was.

-txl.
I will be in Bangkok from Dec. 22 to Dec. 27 and then up to Chiang Mai. I definitely look forward to going to Raja's on Soi 4 (1/6)- the original. Several of my friends have been there including my Father-In-Law (numerous times) and won't go anywhere else. Some say because of the quality and price and all say because of the excellent service. Raja does have an excellent memory and will remember your name- it seems like forever. Anyway, I will post again when I return and let you know of my experience. I will be heading over the day after I arrive and hopefully they will be ready before we leave (not sure over the Christmas holiday). How did yours end up?
-Jared
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by garyphil
Wow, u sure know your clothes well. I wouldnt guarantee it that any tailor in Bangkok can do it "perfectly" as you say as their shirt prices range from like 500-2000 baht. I'd say you wouldnt get "awful cloth and poor quality," but cerrtainly good cloth and decent quality. Feel free to try out any of the shops recommended in this thread. I think there were about 6 or 7. The one that I use personally as mentioned above is:

Crown Tailor in sukhumvit road soi 8
www.crowntailor.com
I did manage to stop by Crown and had a suit made by Sam. Things didn't work out exactly to my specifications, but Sam made right by me in the end.

For everyone else planning on visiting a tailor in BKK, I would recommend you read the two links below to educate yourself on the detailed aspects of tailored clothing. This will help greatly in understanding the nuances of well-tailored clothing.

Jasper Littman | Bespoke suits: an explanation of the bespoke tailoring process

Tailored Clothing-FAQ

Last edited by vivrant; Dec 16, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.