Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wideman
I've tried Googling Tramps, and the only thing that turns up is this FlyerTalk thread. Does it have an alternative name, or is there a web site?
I should just add that Tramps is small, and does not strike me as a place that is catering to the mass tourist market - I can't imagine they would do much marketing, or have a web-site. As I mentioned, most business seems to come from repeat customers. Prices are also high. I can't see them making a suit with decent fabric for THB9,000 as garyphil was able to buy at Crown Tailor. I am happy to pay more for a well-made suit in excellent fabric, but just as with off-the-rack, it's a case of horses for courses!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:39 am

i guess it just depends from person to person and how much you're willing to spend ..
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Does anyone know of a tailor that can tailor make shirts on par with the quality of Charles Tyrwhitt or Thomas Pink?

I had two shirts made one time in BKK and they were awful. Horrible cloth and poor quality.

The qualities of a finely made dress shirt (in my opinion) include split-yoke detailing (where the yoke is cut in two and sewn up the middle rather than placed in as one piece). Single-needle-stitched shirt — more yarn is used, but seams are stronger. Sleeves that set into the shirt and neatly sewn. Placket and cuffs sewn on separately. Buttons: Mother-of-pearl is preferable to plastic.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by vivrant
Does anyone know of a tailor that can tailor make shirts on par with the quality of Charles Tyrwhitt or Thomas Pink?

I had two shirts made one time in BKK and they were awful. Horrible cloth and poor quality.

The qualities of a finely made dress shirt (in my opinion) include split-yoke detailing (where the yoke is cut in two and sewn up the middle rather than placed in as one piece). Single-needle-stitched shirt — more yarn is used, but seams are stronger. Sleeves that set into the shirt and neatly sewn. Placket and cuffs sewn on separately. Buttons: Mother-of-pearl is preferable to plastic.
Wow, u sure know your clothes well. I wouldnt guarantee it that any tailor in Bangkok can do it "perfectly" as you say as their shirt prices range from like 500-2000 baht. I'd say you wouldnt get "awful cloth and poor quality," but cerrtainly good cloth and decent quality. Feel free to try out any of the shops recommended in this thread. I think there were about 6 or 7. The one that I use personally as mentioned above is:

Crown Tailor in sukhumvit road soi 8
www.crowntailor.com

YOu know what, i just got an idea. Try emailing them up and asking them what you just asked me, and i guess make them make u a deal to let it turn out the way you want or something. Or else just walk down sukhumvit road and ask the tailors there if they can do it. You'll see about 1000 tailor shops on sukhumvit road, or wait, maybe 2000.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by garyphil
YOu know what, i just got an idea. Try emailing them up and asking them what you just asked me, and i guess make them make u a deal to let it turn out the way you want or something.
Good idea! I just sent them an email asking for the same. I'll let you know how they respond...
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold 4 Life
I like Georges on Soi 13 off Sukhumit

Alway good quality and the shirts hold up quite well. Alyway the upsale that gets old but I alway kid him about it. Alway look at the suits ready to be picked up for other customers.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Louis at Enlever Ses Vetement did some AWESOME work for me. He was kind of pricey ($500 for a nice suit w/ amazing shirt) but it was a really stylish cut. Highly recommended. Also mentioned in the Luxe Guides.

http://enleversesvetements.com/newsite/main.htm
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Another vote for Rajawongse

A bit late for the original poster, but count this as another strong vote for Rajawongse (Jesse and Victor) --- address on first page or so of this thread. My stepson worked at the BKK embassy for a while and he and his crowd swore by Jesse and Victor. He took my husband there when we visited, and my husband got several suits and lots of shirts. Right before he left that post, he ordered my husband a couple more suits and a cashmere overcoat...shipped to US without any fitting, just based on the notes from our visit six months earlier, and they fit wonderfully! (Yes, they got wrinkled, but hanging out in steamy bathroom took care of that) The fabric selection was excellent, service terrific. I cannot compare with others, since we tried no one else, but you'll do fine here.

Now, we're going back for stepson's wedding, and my _second_ thought was Great! another visit to Rajawongse!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, IC AMB, SPG gold
Recommend a Tailor in BKK?

I will be on holiday in bkk in april of 2007...am interested in saville row quality tailors for men's clothing...suits, sport jackets, dress shirts...have been through the process in Hong Kong and found the right kind of tailor, but there were many lower quality/lower price choices that had to be sorted through... Would welcome recommendations.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
My wife got some very nice silk suits at a place called Chinese Tailor. They were recommended by the Marriott and she is very happy with their work. They're not the "4 suits for $99" type of tailor, but it sounds like you're more interested in quality anyhow.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Raja's Fashions (do a search on flyertalk or google for rave reviews) very near the JW Marriott

1/6 Sukhumvit Soi Nana 4 in Bangkok. (tell the taxi driver to take you to the Nana hotel -- it's right across the street)
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:35 pm

deleted

Last edited by ajc1970; Dec 8, 2006 at 12:31 pm
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:41 pm

Conde Nast article

Nice article in this month's Conde Nast article includes Raja as well as his cousin's place (I think)

Last edited by hartd; Oct 29, 2006 at 11:43 pm Reason: forgot info.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:54 am

got one in Sukhumvit soi 8, just a few minutes walk from Raja's incase you dun like them. Crown Tailors. Had my suit done up from them and love their atmosphere and workmanship.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:55 am

Check this thread...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412098

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.