Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
We were pleased with Embassy Tailors

This shop is near the Conrad Bangkok in Embassy area. I had a three piece women's suit made and my husband had two silk shirts made. There were four fittings in all so make sure that you have three days where you can drop in for fittings. It was convenient for us as we were staying at the Conrad.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
My two cents

I been using a Rajah's competitor for 27 years now also opposite the Nana Hotel (but not when I first went to BKK)

http://www.tajmahalclothiers.com/

1/9-10 Soi Nana

His sons are now doing most of the work.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:30 am

Embassy Tailors

Originally Posted by silver springer
This shop is near the Conrad Bangkok in Embassy area. I had a three piece women's suit made and my husband had two silk shirts made. There were four fittings in all so make sure that you have three days where you can drop in for fittings. It was convenient for us as we were staying at the Conrad.
Did you find Embassy Tailors to be any more expensive than other shops?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Open on Sunday?

Are most shops open on Sunday? I will only be in Bangkok on Sunday and plan to place my orders then.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by wideman
As of when?

Mr Bobby was very definitely at Raja's Fashions (on Soi Nana) last fall. However, there are several tailor shops in Bangkok with 'Raja' in their name in some form or another.

I liked the tailoring and service that I got from Mr Bobby/Raja's Fashion, and both the prices and quality compared favorably to mid-level quality tailors in Hong Kong. However, as eutow suggests, the fabrics were ok, but not top quality. On my next trip this coming winter, I may well give Tramps a shot.
As of 2000 - but again, I think that folks are referring people to multiple locations called Rajas (including the one that Mr. Bobby is now with that uses Rajas in its name).

This - http://www.rajastailors.com/ - is the Rajas I've always used (and my father way back in the early 70s). I've met with them both in Bangkok and on their trips to the US.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:30 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by oceangirl
Did you find Embassy Tailors to be any more expensive than other shops?
Yes, I think they do charge quite a bit more than some other tailors in BKK. But, many, if not all, of the cheaper shops (with their "package deals") will not provide anything which is worth buying. I paid around $900 (after bargaining and waliing out to think things over) for a blazer suit, a shawl collar tux and four shirts (one tux style shirt). Not as nice as my Saville Row suit, but Saville Row is up in the thousands for just one suit.

I second the suggestion above in this thread to go with tropical worsted fabric. It is amazing how thick and heavy a suit a fabric can make up into when you think it will be light weight what with the lining and all.

I would go back to Embassy again.

By the way, re questions above as to cash and credit cards, I would never give a cash deposit to anyone in Thailand.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I been using a Rajah's competitor for 27 years now also opposite the Nana Hotel (but not when I first went to BKK)

http://www.tajmahalclothiers.com/

1/9-10 Soi Nana

His sons are now doing most of the work.

Happy wandering

Fred
Visual reference ....

Tajmahal Clothiers
http://www.cityphotoguide.com/node/85
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
As of when?

Mr Bobby was very definitely at Raja's Fashions (on Soi Nana) last fall. However, there are several tailor shops in Bangkok with 'Raja' in their name in some form or another.

I liked the tailoring and service that I got from Mr Bobby/Raja's Fashion, and both the prices and quality compared favorably to mid-level quality tailors in Hong Kong. However, as eutow suggests, the fabrics were ok, but not top quality. On my next trip this coming winter, I may well give Tramps a shot.

Visual reference for those first timers headed to BKK

Raja's Fashions
http://www.cityphotoguide.com/node/83
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:37 am

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
I was disapointed with Embassy tailors. Fabric were bad after a wash and will not recommend them to anyone.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:02 am

Ive been living in Thailand for quite a while now and whenever im in need of a suit, I head down to a "Crown Tailor" down on Sukhumvit road soi 8. Over the years, the tailor there, Mr. Sam has provided me with amazing suits, shirts and pants that I wear regularly to work with perfect fit. You can easily get an amazing looking suit for very good prices. Many tailors offer similar prices, but this man just offers beyond amazing service which i prefer. (Im very fussy, so i need to be perfect, and he hasnt once complained, even thou there barely has been anything to complain,cuz hes fantastic) So try that place. lemme know how it goes. Ask for Gary, you mite just get a better price then me:P
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:23 pm

How many fittings?

How many fittings are most of you getting? I had suits made last time with only one fitting, and to be honest, it was fine.

I am leaning towards going to Mr. Bobby but because he's not open sundays, and i have to go diving =) he is suggesting one fitting. I was a little put off by it because I think a truly good tailor would have demanded at least 2. Do people think Mr. Bobby's is getting too commercial to care or is he that good the first time around?

Thoughts and suggestions please. Thanks in advance. And what's the going rate these days if I'm thinking about 4 suits and 10 shirts.

Lastly, any further comments on Tramp's that was previously brought up as having higher end fabrics? I am a trial lawyer so my suits get a lot of abuse, but I still fancy the finer things in life so if there is a noticeable difference, I'd like to know.

Thanks!
Ben
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be17jamln
How many fittings are most of you getting? I had suits made last time with only one fitting, and to be honest, it was fine.

I am leaning towards going to Mr. Bobby but because he's not open sundays, and i have to go diving =) he is suggesting one fitting. I was a little put off by it because I think a truly good tailor would have demanded at least 2. Do people think Mr. Bobby's is getting too commercial to care or is he that good the first time around?

Thoughts and suggestions please. Thanks in advance. And what's the going rate these days if I'm thinking about 4 suits and 10 shirts.

Lastly, any further comments on Tramp's that was previously brought up as having higher end fabrics? I am a trial lawyer so my suits get a lot of abuse, but I still fancy the finer things in life so if there is a noticeable difference, I'd like to know.

Thanks!
Ben
I usually have one major fitting, and then there are sometimes some minor adjustments which need to be made, but which do not require me to go back for a second fitting. Tramps send the suit to my hotel after making the additional adjustments.

The fabrics at Tramps are excellent. The other several tailors I had tried in Bangkok earlier (some recommended by staff at some foreign embassies) did not have comparable fabrics in terms of quality for both shirts and suits (although some of them had a wider range of fabrics). I have not tried any of the popular names mentioned on this thread, so can't give a direct comparison, and frankly, once I had started to buy at Tramps, stopped looking for alternatives.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:12 am

I've tried Googling Tramps, and the only thing that turns up is this FlyerTalk thread. Does it have an alternative name, or is there a web site?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by be17jamln

Thanks!
Ben
I totally agree with you about that. A good tailor, or ANY tailor in this case should be experienced enough to realise that every customer wants a good suit. 2 Fittings is the minimum. You should have 2 fittings and it should be the first thing the tailor suggests. Secondly, NEVER go to a tailor that says 24 hours it can be ready. It'll probably last you about 3 monthsn and ull never use it again. What a waste of money. I just bought a suit recently for a friends wedding, and the suit that i got was about 9000 baht for a good wool blend one. Shirts are probably around the 1000 mark. The shop that i used was the one i mentioned above, Crown Tailor, inside sukhumvit soi 8. I have their website here on the card so you can check it out www.crowntailor.com. Mail them up and ask their prices if ure not sure.

Lastly, its really up to u which tailor you want to use, because i think they all pretty much come up with the same outcome, but its just which one has been doing good service for you and has never let you down, both with the prices and the worksmanship and thats why i suggested the one i use, and im highly certain its the same for everyone else.

Hope it helps
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:29 am
Original Poster

I've tried Googling Tramps, and the only thing that turns up is this FlyerTalk thread. Does it have an alternative name, or is there a web site?
There isn't an alternative name, and I am not aware of Tramps having a web-site. You should also find some references to threads at fodors.com on google, which is where I first heard about Tramps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.