Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by transpac

Yes. 3/4 the space, for more information. Have been in use for quite a few months. I would include the address of the first place you are "planning on staying", don't leave it blank. If your plans change, so be it.

New immigration form goes into effect in October
Airlines have been handing out the old forms and I've used the old forms for multiple entries in Oct, Nov and Dec. So, if the new forms have been in use for 'quite a few months' they haven't been accepted exclusively.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Last time I put down a guesthouse / semi dive I use because they didn't require a passport, only Ca$h at checkin, but now that that option to keep my privacy is gone ..... most of the time I do not have a reservation, just show up which seems to be OK in other countries, but now has me a bit concerened
Nobody is going to check to ensure the listed establishment is where your butt goes (at least to this point); just put any place you feel like and be done with it.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THAILANDS AMAZING TOURISM AN AMAZING MESS: NEW MINISTER

BANGKOK Thailands tourism boom is causing serious problems and the bureaucracy is ill-equipped to fix them.

That no-punches spared assessment comes from none other than its new tourism minister, Weerasak Kowsurat.

The problems have been swept under the rug for 30 years now. At this time, its being lifted up a little, the 52-year-old Harvard law school graduate said in an interview. I dont have enough time to change the rug. What I will do is pull the corners. You can show whats under the rug if you grab the right corner.

Thailand?s Amazing Tourism an Amazing Mess: New Minister
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New look for old

Stepping into four of all the 14 galleries in the National Museum Bangkok, visitors will now be enjoyably surprised and greeted by the modern-style lighting and display of exquisite Thai musical instruments,...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/i...w-look-for-old
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
"non-thai" gangs

Saw a few signs while walking around Pratanum last night - to the effect to watch out for pickpockets of "non-thai gangs". Large and easy to read in English (but no other languages that I saw). I've seen warning signs about pickpockets in various places, but never with that "specific" information
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw a few signs while walking around Pratanum last night - to the effect to watch out for pickpockets of "non-thai gangs".

There are some in English and Thai as well.

Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
And "non-Thai" police officer, as well!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:02 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
24 Thai Beaches has become Smoke Free!

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/01/31/...y/?omhide=true

Gotta see it to believe it as the smoking culture is prevailing among ...

Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And we've yet to enter the annual "burning season".

High pollution levels across nation forecast for rest of this month

AIR QUALITY in many parts of the country, including Bangkok, deteriorated to harmful levels over the weekend and pollution was predicted to be at a critical level for the rest of the month, the Pollution Control Department (PCD) revealed.

PCD urged people to visit its website, Pollution Control Department, Bangkok, Thailand9, and Facebook page to regularly check the air pollution, as the air particles level of 2.5 microns (PM2.5) or smaller have risen significantly in many provinces due to the recent cold snap, while those most vulnerable, such as those with heart and respiratory diseases, were warned to avoid outdoor activities during this period.

High pollution levels across nation forecast for rest of this month
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suvarnabhumi airport increases baggage handling security to curb baggage theft

Suvarnabhumi International Airport is now cooperating with the police, airlines and baggage handling operators to improve the baggage handling operations following increasing cases of baggage theft.

The cooperation includes increasing hidden cameras, speeding up police process in case of theft, certification of baggage handlers, and increasing checks on baggage claim area.

The increased security in baggage handling system at the airport and on planes was agreed upon at a meeting of relevant government agencies and airlines on Monday (Feb 6) following increasing complaints over baggage theft by baggage workers employed by the baggage handling contractor at the airport.

Suvarnabhumi airport increases baggage handling security to curb baggage theft - Thai PBS English News
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum, ba club, delta sky club, delta sky miles, delta sky club life,kal skypass
Originally Posted by transpac
Suvarnabhumi airport increases baggage handling security to curb baggage theft

Suvarnabhumi International Airport is now cooperating with the police, airlines and baggage handling operators to improve the baggage handling operations following increasing cases of baggage theft.

The cooperation includes increasing hidden cameras, speeding up police process in case of theft, certification of baggage handlers, and increasing checks on baggage claim area.

The increased security in baggage handling system at the airport and on planes was agreed upon at a meeting of relevant government agencies and airlines on Monday (Feb 6) following increasing complaints over baggage theft by baggage workers employed by the baggage handling contractor at the airport.

Suvarnabhumi airport increases baggage handling security to curb baggage theft - Thai PBS English News

or more people in the system = more theft
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bangkok by the sea

If tourists have only a day to spend in the Thai capital and want to relax by the sea, Bang Khun Thian is a nice choice. Bang Khun Thian is a Bangkok district of which a certain part of its shoreline forms...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/i...kok-by-the-sea
Kalboz likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The air quality in Bangkok seems quite bad these days. Visibility is limited. I am not normally impacted - during the normal burning season smoke and smog - but beginning yesterday my throat and eyes are irritated. Authorities are recommending limiting exposure for both younger and older people.

SMOG AIRPOCALYPSE WORSENS OVER BANGKOK

BANGKOK Wake up, step outside and start coughing? Youre not the only one.

Thursday morning dawned with the capital city blanketed with a thick layer of smog and and air quality pegged at very unhealthy.

As of 7am, the air pollution index of Bangkok rose to 203, a level at the high end of very unhealthy according to an international air monitor. Thats well above two weeks ago, when the pollution reached 174 or unhealthy, prompting a face mask warning.

Smog Airpocalypse Worsens Over Bangkok

Children asked to stay indoors after Bangkok issues air pollution warning

BANGKOK (REUTERS) - Residents in Bangkok, one of the world's top tourist destinations, were warned on Thursday that (Feb 8) the city's air quality had hit dangerous levels just days after the country's pollution control agency appealed to residents to wear face masks.

Air pollution in the Thai capital has come under increasing scrutiny in recent weeks with residents complaining of smog and respiratory problems. Some schools were closed on Thursday or kept children indoors.

Air Quality Index (AQI) formulas usually include up to six main pollutants including PM2.5, PM10, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and ground level ozone.

Children asked to stay indoors after Bangkok issues air pollution warning, SE Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Bangkok Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI)

Bangkok Air Pollution: Real-time PM2.5 Air Quality Index (AQI)
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:19 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Coal-fired power plants ‘partly to blame for Bangkok pollution’

Coal-fired power plants ?partly to blame for Bangkok pollution?

Eastern industrial estate linked to air quality as PM2.5 levels exceed safe levels.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Uber is reportedly preparing to sell its Southeast Asian business to Grab

"Uber is preparing to sell its Southeast Asian business to Grab in exchange for a stake in the Singaporean ridesharing company that has a big presence in that region, according to a new report from CNBC."

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/16/ub...iness-to-grab/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.