Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expert warns of worst haze since 1998

Chiang Mai: The haze situation in the North this year could be the worst in nearly two decades judging by the situation in Indonesia where widespread forest fires have broken out due to the El Nino weather...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...aze-since-1998
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Songkran with no water, it’s not a soak

People will be asked to conserve water instead of throwing it during the Songkran festival in April due to the worsening drought, but the government is confident the taps will not run dry.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...t-s-not-a-soak

No Songkran water wars, govt urges

PM wants cooperation from public amid fears about severe drought and low water levels in country's dams

THE government wants the famed Songkran Festival this year toned down to "rod nam dam hua" - pouring a small amount of water on the hands of revered elders to ask for blessings - in the face of the country's drought problem.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30280358.html
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I flew Nok recently and was pleased that they have free WIFI on board. I think they're the only Thai carrier so far to have this.

Anyone else tried it?
I haven't tried it onboard, but have in the departure gate area. You put in your booking number as the password. Seems to work fine. Nice idea. OTOH I fly TG and WE almost exclusively now, as I really don't care for the goings on (read interminable lines) at DMK.

Originally Posted by transpac
People will be asked to conserve water instead of throwing it during the Songkran festival in April due to the worsening drought, but the government is confident the taps will not run dry. ... THE government wants the famed Songkran Festival this year toned down to "rod nam dam hua" - pouring a small amount of water on the hands of revered elders to ask for blessings - in the face of the country's drought problem.
Call me skeptical, but I just don't see this happening voluntarily without enforcement.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I haven't tried it onboard, but have in the departure gate area. You put in your booking number as the password. Seems to work fine. Nice idea. OTOH I fly TG and WE almost exclusively now, as I really don't care for the goings on (read interminable lines) at DMK.
The PG schedule doesn't work for you?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
The PG schedule doesn't work for you?
I loved PG, flew them exclusively for quite some time. Until they stopped flying to Udon. I'd love to have them back, though.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

‘Possessed by Ghosts,’ Villagers Force Neighbors to Strip

SA KAEO — Two women and one man in eastern Thailand are facing charges for forcing their family members and neighbors to strip naked in the street of their village, reportedly on the order of a ghost.

Police said the three suspects claimed they were possessed by a phi pob when they herded seven residents of a village in Khok Soong district into the street at knifepoint on Saturday and told them to take off their clothes.

After the seven victims, including one woman, complied, the three “possessed” perpetrators burned all their clothes to appease the ghost, said Col. Ponglert Srisakrapikupta, commander of Khok Soong Police Station.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...502&section=12
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite Safety Assurances, More Tourists Hurt at Adventure Attractions

CHIANG MAI — Two foreign tourists were hurt in separate incidents at Chiang Mai adventure tourism sites in the past week, four months after authorities pledged to improve safety standards in response to a string of incidents.

A European tourist reportedly fractured his spine after cliff-jumping into a former quarry this past weekend, while a Chinese tourist was slightly injured on the same zipline ride a Chinese tourist snapped her neck and died in October 2015.

Although several news agencies report that the provincial authorities ordered both venues to close down in the light of the injuries, representatives at the two attractions said they had not received any such order.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...316&section=12
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dengue cases double from 2015 - health ministry

Dr Sophon described the dengue situation in Thailand as "dangerous and very worrying". He said 8,651 people were confirmed infected with the virus in the first two months of this year, up from 4,263 cases in the same period last year. There has been one fatality.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ealth-ministry
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I loved PG, flew them exclusively for quite some time. Until they stopped flying to Udon. I'd love to have them back, though.
I had no idea they dropped UTH, when did this occur? If memory serves they had even added a 3rd daily flight and the two UTH-CNX flights as well.

There was a contemplated som tam run late last year as it looked like I'd be 5 pts shy of Premier but in the end some unexpected travel put me over the threshold.

That was the cheapest segment in the network.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I had no idea they dropped UTH, when did this occur? If memory serves they had even added a 3rd daily flight and the two UTH-CNX flights as well.
IIRC it was something like 6+ months ago, now. And, yes, when they terminated service, they had recently added the third flight and were running flights morning, mid-day and late afternoon/early evening to and from BKK. And, yes, they had CNX service, too!!

Yes, please feel free to drop by for lunch any time. There's even a Khao Soy restaurant up here, named, oddly enough, Khao Soy @ Udon Thani.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Feb 29, 2016 at 7:34 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drought pushes animals toward communities

THE DROUGHT has now hit wildlife and may force animals to intrude into human communities for food and water as natural water sources dry up, an expert warned yesterday.

However, the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation revealed that Khao Yai National Park and Kui Buri National Park had already prepared water for animals to minimise intrusions into inhabited areas.

Royal Household Bureau veterinarian Dr Alongkorn Mahanop warned the drought would force wild animals such as elephants to migrate outside the forest for food and water because of water scarcity in national parks. "The wild animals have already felt the effect of the drought and they will do anything in order to survive," Alongkorn said.

He said the situation in Khao Yai National Park was very bad because hotels and resorts around Khao Yai used so much water from the forest and caused the water supply in rivers and streams to dry up. Some intelligent animals such as elephants can smell the water from far away so they will leave the forest and venture into resort areas.

"I predict that within a few months, we will encounter wild animal intrusions outside the forest area more often," he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30280472.html
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jet Airways ups capacity

The premium full-service carrier will on March 27 step up its capacity on the country-pair by launching a third daily flight on the Bangkok-Mumbai route and a second daily service between Bangkok and Delhi. The...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...s-ups-capacity
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shortage of ‘HUMAN CAPITAL’ hits every major Thai sector

Civil aviation authorities suggested last week that the severe shortage of qualified pilots in the country could be alleviated by allowing foreign pilots to fly Thai planes.

The first question that inevitably came to mind was: When did they realise that the country was suffering a "severe shortage" of people trained to fly commercial aircraft?

How was it that the Thai people were suddenly told that the shortage was so bad that we need an extra 2,000 experienced pilots to fill the gap?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opin...-30280624.html
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:51 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Agreed to the questions in the article.

I'm guessing the exodus was face saving. Quit or be fired for having faked or qualifications under legal requirements.

A public disaster may have been designed to extend certification and force the gov't to flex on competent foreigners over quota.

As long as it helps them keep the birds flying, and to international standards. That makes it worth it.

Has me thinking a quick instrument and a 737 rating may be a good investment. ;-)

But, still presents serious problems for the year ahead. I predict that the hidden incompetence found covered up in the licencing of crew will rear its head again in every aspect, maintenance. safety, etc.

Great that its happening now so they can get on track. Dare I say promising.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Has me thinking a quick instrument and a 737 rating may be a good investment. ;-)
You may have to revert to your previous monicker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.