Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways (TG) [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Airways (TG) [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:20 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
Best Upgrade Options

We'd like to fly to Singapore (and then on to Bali) from West Coast, SFO or LAX and upgrade from Economy to Biz using miles. Both *Gold on UA. Ex LAX there is not a true Biz class so what are the options. I've tried Premium Economy LAX-BKK and found it OK but was wondering what other options are available? First choice would be (non-existent) Biz class but/so can one upgrade to Royal Silk from Prem Econ?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by RK7
We'd like to fly to Singapore (and then on to Bali) from West Coast, SFO or LAX and upgrade from Economy to Biz using miles. Both *Gold on UA. Ex LAX there is not a true Biz class so what are the options. I've tried Premium Economy LAX-BKK and found it OK but was wondering what other options are available? First choice would be (non-existent) Biz class but/so can one upgrade to Royal Silk from Prem Econ?
I am bit lost in your post. You say you want to fly to SIN and then to Bali, then you talk about LAX-BKK... So where actually do you want to fly? I also do not understand your claim that there is no biz class... Since you are on TG forum, I presume you're talking about TG. My understanding is, that LAX-BKK has two two class a/c, that is economy and bussines class, but not firt. There is no TG operated flight between SFO and BKK... Can you please clarify your post?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I am also confused.

Originally Posted by RK7
We'd like to fly to Singapore (and then on to Bali) from West Coast, SFO or LAX and upgrade from Economy to Biz using miles. Both *Gold on UA.
And you want to go through BKK? There is an LAX-BKK (nothing from SFO). In order to upgrade you will need to purchase a Y or B fare ticket which can be very expensive. Also, using UA miles (let's just assume that since you're UA *G) is a little ambiguous via the UA site;

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52927,00.html

Specifically:
Upgradeable
booking classes
• Business class (C,D)
• Economy class (Y,B)

Upgrades are also valid from the following booking classes on select carriers:
- ANA (J, Z and E class)
- Lufthansa (J class)
- SAS (S class)
- Singapore (S, Z and J class)
Upgrade service classes
• Economy to Business (on carriers that offer only Economy and Business
cabins on two cabin aircraft)
• Economy to First (on carriers that have only Economy and First cabins on
two cabin aircraft)
• Business to First (on carriers that have three cabin aircraft)

* Double upgrades from Economy to First are not permitted on three cabin aircraft.
The reason for this is because TG operates a 3 cabin a/c. There is Y (econ), Y+(prem econ) and C (business). Since UA's published info doesn't include any info on Y+ you'd need to call UA to find out about upgrading possibilities here.

Ex LAX there is not a true Biz class so what are the options.
Oi, what about TG's LAX-BKK isn't 'true Biz'?

I've tried Premium Economy LAX-BKK and found it OK but was wondering what other options are available? First choice would be (non-existent) Biz class but/so can one upgrade to Royal Silk from Prem Econ?
Again, what is this reference to '(non-existent) Biz class'? And the last part you're asking to upgrade from C to Y+.....

Please clarify so we can understand and try to give you more accurate info.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:52 am
formerly known as RK7

Sorry for the confusion. Here is the itinerary that I am considering:
LAX-BKK TG795
BKK-DPS TG431
Seat Guru shows that TG795 has Econ, Prem Econ, and Royal Silk. My mistaken assumption was that Royal Silk was F and that there was no true Biz. From answers here, it's the other way around and no F.

Thanks for the clarification, it will help me when I call both UA and TG and see what they have to say about upgrading. If you're wondering why I don't just fly UA to SIN, I like TGs long overnight flight direct to BKK instead of daytime UA flights through NRT or HKG to get to SIN and onto DPS on another carrier.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by RK7
My mistaken assumption was that Royal Silk was F and that there was no true Biz. From answers here, it's the other way around and no F.
Correct. Royal Silk is J, Royal Orchid is F. LAX/BKK is 345 service with a scheduled flight time westbound of a bit over 17 hours, no F.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 22, 2010 at 5:03 am
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:44 pm
formerly known as RK7

Has anyone been able to upgrade on TG?

I called TG to asking about upgradeable space from Econ to Royal Silk on LAX-BKK using a B ticket in mid to late January. They pretty much said that there wasn't any space....but that I should call UA because they might have some!!??? Which makes no sense at all. So I've sent an email to TG @LAX to try and figure it out.

Fare on B class is $1604. Premium economy is $1723 on the dates I am checking. Has anyone been able to upgrade from Premium Economy to Royal Silk? I'd much rather fall back on Premium Economy than regular economy.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:24 am

Thai flight dec 1

Hi Guys,

I am flying Dec 1 from Oslo-BKK-Brisbane on this flights
TG955
TG473

However in set guru i get some weird info on some seats having better pitch that others does anyone now if the center ones do indeed have better pitch?
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha..._777-200ER.php
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha...77-200_New.php

any other seats you would recommend?(excluding exit rows, i know the drill )

cheers
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:28 am
formerly known as RK7

Originally Posted by RK7
Has anyone been able to upgrade on TG?

I called TG to asking about upgradeable space from Econ to Royal Silk on LAX-BKK using a B ticket in mid to late January. They pretty much said that there wasn't any space....but that I should call UA because they might have some!!??? Which makes no sense at all. So I've sent an email to TG @LAX to try and figure it out.

Fare on B class is $1604. Premium economy is $1723 on the dates I am checking. Has anyone been able to upgrade from Premium Economy to Royal Silk? I'd much rather fall back on Premium Economy than regular economy.
Here's TG response via email:

Booking these upgrades can be tricky, because both THAI and United advise you correctly.

While we can advise what Upgradeable seats are available on THAI, our availability is for our ROP Frequent Flyers and does not guarantee that United will have access to these seats. United likely does the same, holding more seats for Mileage Plus members than what are available for partner members. With that said, for the dates you wish to travel, I can advise which days look best for Upgrade availability, but cannot guarantee that UA can book these seats. Flying LAX - BKK only 23 Jan is showing seats available for Upgrade. All other departures 8Jan - 30Jan would be waitlist only even for THAI members. Returning Feb 2 or 3 look good right now. Of course, this availability can change based on demand and bookings. However, early -mid Jan tend to be a heavy period for Business class travel.

You cannot use UA miles to upgrade from Premium Economy, only Y or B fares. B fares are most common.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by sweetkaos
Hi Guys,

I am flying Dec 1 from Oslo-BKK-Brisbane on this flights
TG955
TG473

However in set guru i get some weird info on some seats having better pitch that others does anyone now if the center ones do indeed have better pitch?
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha..._777-200ER.php
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha...77-200_New.php

any other seats you would recommend?(excluding exit rows, i know the drill )

cheers
Yes, there is different pitch for some seats on 772. The best source of information are official TG seating plans available at http://www.thaiair.com/thai-services...r-aircraft.htm that give you detailed measurements...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Yes, there is different pitch for some seats on 772. The best source of information are official TG seating plans available at http://www.thaiair.com/thai-services...r-aircraft.htm that give you detailed measurements...
yes the site is not clear is it the middle aisle that has the 31 ' or the side aisles?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by sweetkaos
yes the site is not clear is it the middle aisle that has the 31 ' or the side aisles?
As far as I can see, 777-200:
CTR= centre, so 31-42 have 31" pitch in midle
L&R = left & right, so 51-59 have 31" pitch on both left and righ sides
the rest are 32" pitch

As far as I can see 772-200R has all seats with same 34" pitch
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:30 am

77e or 772

Originally Posted by vbroucek
As far as I can see, 777-200:
CTR= centre, so 31-42 have 31" pitch in midle
L&R = left & right, so 51-59 have 31" pitch on both left and righ sides
the rest are 32" pitch

As far as I can see 772-200R has all seats with same 34" pitch
Thanks for the info,
what is weird is that I see my flight being the one with 61 rows,(can see the seats availbae but cannot change) which in Thai is the 77E(777-200er) but on the mytrip it says its just the normal 777-200/300 which on setguru has 63 seats?
is there i website where i can confirm the plane being used for this trip
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:28 pm

I see both flights with 61 rows, coded as 777. There used to be a way of checking which exact a/c TG planned for each flight, but I cannot recall where it was. Also TG is well known for its last minute equipment swapping, so you will not know until you are ready to board...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:25 pm

Hello,

I am thinking of taking the new service from Tokyo's Haneda airport to BKK. It is operated by an A345. I also see that ANA is flying to BKK around the same time on a 736. Which do you think would be better for getting a good night's sleep in business?

Thanks for your help,

Peter10
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:23 am
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
I'd go for TG's A346 - bigger planes tend to offer a smoother ride, and the business class seats on-board the long haul Airbus are pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.