Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Flying LH out of Copenhagen with Thai gold card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone

The other day i was flying CPH-FRA-HKG-MNL
The first leg CPH-FRA was with LH
The two last legs FRA-HKG and HKG-MNL with CX

I have flied that route many times before and presented
my Thai gold card upon check-in at CPH airport, they never
complain about my 40 kilo. Also when flying CPH-FRA-TPE-MNl with
SK CPH-FRA and CI the last two legs, some month ago they did not say anything about my 40 kilo.

But this time they told me as i was not flying with Staralliance all the way
i could only have 20 kilo, they told me they have called LH and TG and they say the same,,however i doubt they called , just gave me that story.

I have been told long ago, like 3 years ago that the first carriers rules , tell you what you can bring , and as i fly LH and have a Gold card of TG, i am allowed to have 40 kilo.

They said also that but it did not count for gold cards only as a normal passenger.

Can someone tell me the rules as i really dont see it in the benefits of gold card. and even better refer to where it is said so.

If they had treated me wrong i will surely complain to SAS as they are the one handling LH in CPH

Tks in advance
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi peterdk, without checking the rules, my take on it is that you would be allowed your gold card luggage rules on LH, TG and any other star alliance carrier, but on CX or any other One World carrier, you would have to play by their rules.

The gold card perks are there so that it is in your interest to fly within an alliance.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Cathay are well within their rights to decline to carry your 40KG of baggage. Why would they? You have a gold card with an alliance they have nothing to do with. suggest you stick with star alliance for the entire journey if you want to enjoy the benefits of Star gold membership.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by dazz81
Cathay are well within their rights to decline to carry your 40KG of baggage. Why would they? You have a gold card with an alliance they have nothing to do with. suggest you stick with star alliance for the entire journey if you want to enjoy the benefits of Star gold membership.
Agreed.
And note that in the other alliances the luggage privilege granted by one airline to its golds usually does not extend to another airline of the same alliance (within OW or within ST).
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by peterdk
Hello everyone

The other day i was flying CPH-FRA-HKG-MNL
The first leg CPH-FRA was with LH
The two last legs FRA-HKG and HKG-MNL with CX

I have flied that route many times before and presented
my Thai gold card upon check-in at CPH airport, they never
complain about my 40 kilo. Also when flying CPH-FRA-TPE-MNl with
SK CPH-FRA and CI the last two legs, some month ago they did not say anything about my 40 kilo.
I suspect the last time you flew SK/CI on the same route that you just connected all the way through with CI. Had you checked in seperately with CI, they would have told you the same thing Cathay did.

But this time they (CX) told me as i was not flying with Staralliance all the way i could only have 20 kilo, they told me they have called LH and TG and they say the same,,however i doubt they called , just gave me that story.

I have been told long ago, like 3 years ago that the first carriers rules , tell you what you can bring , and as i fly LH and have a Gold card of TG, i am allowed to have 40 kilo.
Yes the first carrier rule applies if you are connecting all the way through without any stop. However, some airlines will not allow you through carriage if you have an unusually high weight limit on your bags.
They said also that but it did not count for gold cards only as a normal passenger.

Can someone tell me the rules as i really dont see it in the benefits of gold card. and even better refer to where it is said so.

If they had treated me wrong i will surely complain to SAS as they are the one handling LH in CPH

Tks in advance
Unfortunately they are right. They being Cathay Pacific or any other non-star alliance on your ticket. And complaining to SK isn't going to help you either !

If say, you had a ticket originating in USA/Canada and then through to EU and asia your baggage allowance will be 2 pieces all the way through, each piece up to 23kg per bag on. And as Star alliance allows you a 3rd piece, that's fine as long as you stay within the *A. Once you take another carrier, ie say CI, the baggage restriction drops to what your ticket only allows which is 2 pieces.

I was once on a connecting flight from Singapore to Hong Kong to Tokyo in Biz Class. HKG to TYO was on CX and also in Business. But my total baggage weight was around 50kg... Even though the flight was connecting, CX refused to allow me that amount of baggage and I had to pay a fee before they would even issue me my boarding pass.

So what you learn is that stay within your alliance !

Welcome to FlyerTalk , peterdk, by the way...

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 1, 2010 at 3:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.