Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai & Volcanic Ash Situation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Thai & Volcanic Ash Situation

Have a whole bunch of friends trapped overseas at the moment. Malaysia Airlines are accommodating & feeding, as are BA. EVA seems to have washed their hands of everyone (act of god etc etc), but have two very good friends coming back in J on Saturday on TG 916 (to LHR).

I'm fairly certain the flight will be xx'd.

Is there anyone out there who can advise if TG will do a BR (i.e. you're on your own, sort our your own hotel) or a MH (here's a nice hotel, stay here on us while we wait to see what way the wind blows..).

Anyone else stuck in Bangkok? How's Thai's legendary customer service??!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Given that this is a natural disaster, are the airlines liable...? Travel Insurance should cover costs though...

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
Given that this is a natural disaster, are the airlines liable...? Travel Insurance should cover costs though...

Cheers,

AG. :-:
This is 'force majeure' and even some travel insurances may wash their hands off this...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:50 pm

Well, looks like TG 922 (FRA) was diverted yesterday. Can't find out where to. TG916 (LHR) was diverted to... FRANKFURT

Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Was booked for TG951 on 17APR. Flight of course cancelled so TG rebooked us for 21APR. Nobody knows how long this closure will last.

Quite a backlog of TG passengers stranded when most European destinations are cancelled 2-3 days in a row. But at least much less than BA, LH, AF and KL who have had to cancel their complete traffic program
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
TG922 and TG924 were diverted to Rome FCO. German airspace will be closed at least until sunday evening, but it is still open end.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:28 am

Rome

Ohh, Rome must be lovely this time of the year. Does TG provide hotel and food?

Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
My best wishes to all FT'ers who are stranded at an airport somewhere, waiting to go home.
Hang in there, and hopefully things will improve.
Wondering how TG treats its premium customers in such situation.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by Fan2502
Ohh, Rome must be lovely this time of the year. Does TG provide hotel and food?

LOL.... no it's not very hot these days. Today it's cloudy, so maybe it's not the best day to be around as tourist paid by TG.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: ROP
THAI cancels Flights to Europe due to Volcano Eruption in Iceland and prepares Contingency Plan

Today (17 April 2010), Thai Airways International Public Company Limited announces further cancellation of flights to Europe due to air space closure as a result of volcano ashes from the eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland .

Mr. Piyasvasti Amranand , THAI President, said that the European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation (Eurocontrol) announces the continuation of air space closure in most Scandinavia and Northern European countries prohibiting airlines from operating flights to and from most destinations in Europe. Since 16 April 2010, THAI has cancelled altogether 31 flights to/from Europe as follows :

Departure from Bangkok : 16 April 2010

Flight Number Destination

TG910 Bangkok – London
TG930 Bangkok – Paris
TG950 Bangkok – Copenhagen
TG954 Bangkok – Oslo
TG960 Bangkok – Stockholm

Inbound to Bangkok – 16 April 2010

TG911 London – Bangkok
TG931 Paris – Bangkok
TG951 Copenhagen – Bangkok
TG955 Oslo – Bangkok
TG961 Stockholm – Bangkok

Departure from Bangkok : 17 April 2010

TG910 Bangkok – London
TG930 Bangkok – Paris
TG950 Bangkok – Copenhagen
TG954 Bangkok – Oslo
TG960 Bangkok – Stockholm
TG920 Bangkok – Frankfurt
TG970 Bangkok – Zurich
TG916 Bangkok – London
TG922 Bangkok – Frankfurt
TG924 Bangkok – Munich

Inbound to Bangkok – 17 April 2010

TG911 London – Bangkok
TG931 Paris – Bangkok
TG951 Copenhagen – Bangkok
TG955 Oslo – Bangkok
TG961 Stockholm – Bangkok
TG921 Frankfurt – Bangkok
TG971 Zurich – Bangkok
TG917 London – Bangkok
TG923 Frankfurt – Bangkok
TG925 Munich – Bangkok

THAI advises passengers traveling to/from Europe to check the status of their flights through THAI Contact Center at 66-2- 356-1111, 24 hours or contact the local THAI sales offices.

THAI has prepared a Contingency Plan and request passengers on the cancelled flights to contact THAI Contact Centre tel. 66-2-356-1111 for re-booking. Every best efforts will be made for passengers who were booked on earlier flights. THAI is also working on operating extra flights on some routes, whereupon possible, for stranded passengers.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
It's a BR so far.

I'm waiting in BKK to get to FCO, which is especially annoying as technically FCO is open and CX and SQ managed to send their flights there last night.

Basically at BKK you are on your own with nothing provided, and no rebooking so far. All we were given last night was a phone number which of course is permanently engaged. And (though it's perhaps not their personal fault) the staff at BKK have never heard of the EU Passenger Rights which state they have to provide care, ie. hotels, even though it's not their fault.

So I guess I'll be sending TG my bills. My insurance only apparently covers adverse weather by the way, which apparently this isn't!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
It's a BR so far.

I'm waiting in BKK to get to FCO, which is especially annoying as technically FCO is open and CX and SQ managed to send their flights there last night.

Basically at BKK you are on your own with nothing provided, and no rebooking so far. All we were given last night was a phone number which of course is permanently engaged. And (though it's perhaps not their personal fault) the staff at BKK have never heard of the EU Passenger Rights which state they have to provide care, ie. hotels, even though it's not their fault.

So I guess I'll be sending TG my bills. My insurance only apparently covers adverse weather by the way, which apparently this isn't!
The EU law only applies to EU airlines, or to non EU airlines on the flight out of the EU. As you are in Thailand, on a Thai airline, local laws apply.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:07 pm

AFAIK EU rules apply to all airlines flying into and out of the EU. So when an EU airport is part of your trip those rules should apply.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
For what it's worth, I was re-reading the EU rules last night and I agree I was wrong: it appears the rules only apply ex-EU or home on a EU airline only.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Fan2502
AFAIK EU rules apply to all airlines flying into and out of the EU. So when an EU airport is part of your trip those rules should apply.
No. For non-EU carriers only from an EU country (not to EU). Please read the rules before making such statements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.