Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai & Volcanic Ash Situation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: ROP GOLD, QFF GOLD
FCO is open but TG is not flying there!

I was booked to fly today from SYD to BKK for a connection with TG 944 at 0020 tomorrow from BKK to FCO. I was relieved to see from the ENAC website that FCO was open (although chaotic because of numerous cancelled flights and delayed flights) - also, Italian papers yesterday reported that passengers were having to wait 3 - 4 hours to collect their bags once they arrived.

When I spoke with the Thai check-in desk today I was told that TG944 from BKK to FCO tomorrow definitely will not be departing. Given that the TG website says that there are 11,000+ TG passengers stranded in BKK I decided to stay home.

TG's website doesn't give details of which flights will be cancelled on the 19th April - even though they've obviously decided that they're not flying to FCO tomorrow - it would be helpful to passengers if TG could update their website rather than have passengers getting their information at the time of check in.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:18 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
"THAI adds flights to Rome and Madrid to facilitate stranded passengers"

Am getting very nervous about how long this will last - we are scheduled to fly LHR to BKK on Friday 23 April and I REALLY don't want to miss my holiday !!!!!

From http://www.prthaiairways.com/thaiair...?lg=en&dng=897

(April 18, 2010) Thai Airways International Public Company Limited will increase flights between Thailand and Europe via Rome and via Madrid to facilitate stranded passengers.

Mr Piyasvasti Amranand, THAI President, said that due to the continued airspace closure by the EUROCONTROL, the airline had to cancel an average of 22 outbound and inbound flights between Thailand and European destinations. THAI estimates there are 6,000 stranded passengers per day, and expects a loss of approximately 100 million Baht per day.

THAI normally operates to 13 destinations in Europe. Currently, four destinations still open for operation are Rome, Madrid, Moscow and Athens. THAI is unable to provide concrete information on airports re-opening and closing as this is solely dependent on the decision of EUROCONTROL. However, THAI will closely monitor the situation and update passengers accordingly. THAI is implementing a contingency plan for the period of 19 – 29 April 2010. In order to facilitate stranded passengers’ travel to and from Europe, THAI is adding temporary flights to and from Rome and Madrid during 19-29 April 2010. Flights to Moscow and Athens continue to operate on normal schedule as follows:

Destinations Current Flight Additional Flight Total Flight

Rome 4 flights per week 7 flights per week 11 flights per week

(Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun) (Daily Flight)

Effective 19 April 2010

Madrid 3 flights per week 4 flights per week 7 flights per week

(Tue/Thu/Sat) (Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun)

Effective 22 April 2010

Moscow 3 flights per week - 3 flights per week

(Wed/Fri/Sun)

Athens 3 flights per week - 3 flights per week

(Mon/Thu/Sat)

Passengers who wish to travel to and from European countries will be able to travel via these four destinations. Customers holding THAI ticket who wish to take these alternate routes from Europe to Thailand, and vice versa, may reroute and rebook at local town and airport offices worldwide. Extra flights will be offered on a first come first served basis. THAI will waive service fees for rerouting and rebooking on these routes.

THAI advises passengers to check the status of their flights through their local town and airport offices or THAI Contact Center at 02-356-1111, Fax: 02-356-2222,

E-mail: [email protected] or www.thaiairways.com
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:30 am

Obviously, the PR people at TG don't know what the operations people are telling the paying passengers!!!

If they're saying that they're scheduling extra flights to Europe through FCO why is it that TG check-in at Sydney today told passengers booked on TG944 tomorrow from BKK to FCO that it would not be flying???
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:23 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
I think the Sydney staff gave wrong information to you. Rome flights have not been canceled since the situation started.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
It looks like adding flights to FCO and MAD were not so easy as expeced:

----------------

Information for passengers to-from Europe due to volcano eruption

Due to uncontrolled situation change at Rome and Madrid airports, the planned TEMPORARY additional flights have been put on hold until further notice.

As of today, 18 April 2010, THAI continues flights, on normal schedule, to four destinations still open for operation: Athens, Rome, Moscow, and Madrid.

Customers holding THAI ticket who wish to take an alternate route from Europe to Thailand, and vice versa, via Athens, Rome, Moscow, or Madrid may reroute and rebook at local airport offices and town sales offices.

Bangkok Telephone : +66 02-356-1111
Bangkok Fax : +66 02-356-2222
Abroad telephone : contact the respective local airport offices and town offices

THAI will waive services fees for rerouting and rebooking.

Passengers are advised to check the Thai Airways website for regular updates prior to checking-in at the airport.

Updated : 18 April 2010/21.30 hrs
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
A quick update from BKK.

I was due to be flying TG 916 in F today (BKK-LHR) but after an hour on hold finally got confirmation that the flight has been cancelled.

The earliest waitlist they were offering was from Thursday onwards. I guess it is now just a lottery as to how soon I can fly out. I only have ROP silver status so don't hold much hope of getting back to LHR until early next week.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:02 pm
TKG

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Star Alliance Gold
I'm in HK, booked on TG HKG-BKK-ZRH tonight.

Watching the local news, the UK seems to be the most affected, with airports closed until Tuesday. Perhaps Swiss airspace can be open tomorrow, but I can't get through on the Thai phone line.

Originally Posted by newshound
A quick update from BKK.

I was due to be flying TG 916 in F today (BKK-LHR) but after an hour on hold finally got confirmation that the flight has been cancelled.

The earliest waitlist they were offering was from Thursday onwards. I guess it is now just a lottery as to how soon I can fly out. I only have ROP silver status so don't hold much hope of getting back to LHR until early next week.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:59 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Getting through on the line and then negotiating the automated system was a real challenge. The recorded info on the line was actually out of date!

Thankfully the concierge at my hotel was a superstar and has spent most of the last couple of the days dialing in to TG to help myself and others out.

Regarding actually getting a seat, personally I would check with TG to make sure you have a confirmed seat as they have a huge backlog of people to clear from BKK.

You may end up sitting around, waiting in BKK for a week or more so depending on your personal circumstances you'll want to decide where is best for you to wait it out - HKG or BKK.

I bumped into a couple that are flying BR who have just told them that they won't get a seat for another 10 days so they are heading down to Samui for a week on the beach to wait it out
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by spk
I think the Sydney staff gave wrong information to you. Rome flights have not been canceled since the situation started.
I dont know for TG, but CX announced that it will not board OZ pax transitting in HKG to Rome (or other European destinations), eventhough CX HOPED that the Rome flight will operate. In case it does not operate, they do not want to be obliged to care for OZ pax in transit in HKG. All hotels nearby are already saturated. It makes sense.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by brunos
I dont know for TG, but CX announced that it will not board OZ pax transitting in HKG to Rome (or other European destinations), eventhough CX HOPED that the Rome flight will operate. In case it does not operate, they do not want to be obliged to care for OZ pax in transit in HKG. All hotels nearby are already saturated. It makes sense.
I don't know what the motivation was for the check-in desk giving out incorrect information on Sunday in Sydney but I wasn't prepared to risk being stuck in BKK if the information had turned out to be correct. As it is, TG944 left BKK for FCO half an hour late but full - the no shows were well and truly outnumbered by the go shows - aircraft type was switched from the 744 (V2) to the older 744 (V1) so 14 pax in F and no 'Lie Flat' seats in J. Still it's a flight to FCO!

I'm now booked to fly on Sunday 25th - completely full flight. TG in Sydney is booking pax on the 'temporary' flights to FCO - I was offered a seat on Thursday 22nd (not a day TG normally flies to FCO) but hope that it might be a bit calmer by Sunday.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: ROP
THAI Announces Effects from Volcanic Eruption

(19 April 2010) Mr. Piyasvasti Amranand, President, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited, stated that due to the volcanic ash in the airspace over northern Europe showing no improvement since its first eruption on 15 April 2010, the airline has had to cancel nine out of 13 routes to Europe, that is, Bangkok-London, Bangkok-Frankfurt, Bangkok-Copenhagen, Bangkok-Oslo, Bangkok-Stockholm, Bangkok-Zurich, Bangkok-Munich, Bangkok-Paris, Bangkok-Milan. However, THAI continues to operate to four destinations that have not been restricted, that is, Bangkok-Rome, Bangkok-Madrid, Bangkok-Athens, and Bangkok-Moscow.

The number of THAI flights cancelled from 16-19 April 2010 totals to 70 flights, with 36 outbound flights and 34 inbound flights. Total number of THAI passengers who are stranded is 21,625, of which 10,550 passengers are still in Bangkok. Of those abroad, there are 2,500 Thai nationals. The financial loss to THAI is approximately 100 million THB per day. Hence, THAI has put in place the following contingency plan.

• THAI has liaised with authorities for additional special flights as soon as possible between Bangkok-Rome and Bangkok-Madrid for stranded passengers as well as those wanting to travel.

• THAI is coordinating with authorities to secure approval for flights between Bangkok-Toulouse, France, to replace the Bangkok-Paris route.

• THAI is prepared and standing by to continue operations to those destinations currently cancelled for when the Eurocontrol announces it is safe to operate again.

• For handling the large volume of stranded passengers THAI is coordinating and planning for special flights to other destinations in the near vicinity.

Thai Airways International is closely monitoring the situation which does not yet improve, therefore, THAI has to continue the cancellation of these nine routes from 19-22 April 2010. Although there are some intra-European flights, this is allowed only for smaller aircraft that fly below 19,500 feet. However, the Euro airspace restricts intercontinental flights since the aircraft on these routes are required to fly above 24,500 feet.

For passengers whose flights were been cancelled THAI requests those passengers to contact the THAI Contact Center at these numbers (24 hours): 02-356-1111, FAX: 02-356-2222, Email: [email protected] or website: www. thaiairways.com or visit any THAI sales offices in Europe to re-book for the cancelled flights. As such Thai Airways International has opened its Crisis Management & Operations Center (CMOC) for close monitoring of the situation on a 24-hour basis

Last edited by joy16; Apr 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm Reason: edit font
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
It is all still on such a knife edge !!!

I spoke to Thai in London today regarding our booking for TG 917 on 23 April. Was advised that (i) they have no information other than that in the public domain and (ii) the airline hopes to run normal flights from London on 23 April. However, this is all dependent on what happens during the coming days.

I foresee a nerve racking couple of days, praying to anything and everything that our flight runs as planned on 23 April with us on it !!!

I am not sure about the comment that which Thai include in their press release "However, the Euro airspace restricts intercontinental flights since the aircraft on these routes are required to fly above 24,500 feet" -- LH are planning to run a large volume of intercontinental flights out of Germany tonight and into Germany overnight, arriving tomorrow morning -- see http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p...dia_813456.pdf

Good luck to all either hoping to get home or hoping to take long planned holidays
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
TG is planning to operate extra flights to Roma, but so far hasn't managed to secure permission from local authorieties as Roma airport is full. Therefore the flights havent been displayed in the reservations systems and thus SYD staff was probably right not to recommend you to count on flights as long as its not sure those flights can be operated. Also the hotels in Roma are full and rather expensive. The LH flights will be operated under special permission and subject to clear skies as ILS will not be used but instead it will be visual flights on PIC's own risk. It wil certainly take some time until all stranded guests have been transported back home, especially from Asia to Europe. The other direction seems much easier as they are offering seats from next Monday onwards.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Right now the TG website seems to offer no information on the situation at this time at which most European and NA carriers are at least starting to run back on track. Wasn´t the last information given by TG that all flights to/from Europe are cancelled until April 22nd ? I wonder what´s coming next...

F.R.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
THAI and other Asian carriers are waiting on European hubs to allow full instrument landings and importantly gates for arriving aircraft. It is a fair assumption that the hubs will clear their own airports regional and domestic backlog first, then open them up for the Asian international arrivals. The time frame 22nd/23rd are the dates that most of the "biggies" in this area are planning towards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.