Reload this Page >

2024 Eclipse - Texas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Eclipse - Texas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Canarsie
No matter where you go to view a total solar eclipse, be sure to allow between double and triple the time to return once the eclipse has concluded.
Exactly this, and consider that if you go into the Hill Country, many of the roads are 2-lanes (one lane each direction), and can be windy. After all, it is the Hill Country.

I would suggest Marble Falls, it is one of my favorite places to go in that area. But if you want to get out in a hurry, I have a feeling it will be gridlock leaving.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought some people might appreciate this information:
https://www.kxan.com/eclipse-2024/ho...total-eclipse/

Here is just a bit of the stuff happening on the actual date (they have more planned before)
  • April 8: Livestream of the eclipse with a light-sound device for people with visual impairments to experience the eclipse at the Connelly G. Guerrero Senior Activity Center
  • April 8: Adult craft time making constellation embroidery at the Yarborough Library
  • April 8: Free entry at the Zilker Botanical Gardens
  • April 8: Watch parties at the following library branches and city locations:
    • North Village Library
    • Menchaca Library
    • Windsor Park Library
    • Old Quarry Library
    • Oak Hill Library
    • Pleasant Hill Library
    • Cepeda Library
    • Willie Mae Kirk Library
    • Twin Oaks Library
    • Central Library
    • Butler Park at Town Lake Metro Long Center
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Canarsie
No matter where you go to view a total solar eclipse, be sure to allow between double and triple the time to return once the eclipse has concluded.
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Very much this if anything like the last one. From our hotel in Lincoln, Nebraska to a small town where we watched (Fairmont, NE) was just under an hour drive. The return took something like 2.5 hours.
We drove from Denver to Casper, WY, in about four hours. Nary a car on the road. The return drive took 12 hours.
aztimm likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:13 pm

Travis County, where Austin is located, has issued a disaster declaration in preparation for the eclipse:
https://www.kxan.com/weather/eclipse...solar-eclipse/

Travis County said it would take emergency measures ahead of the total solar eclipse set to take place in exactly one month.

The declaration was in anticipation of large crowds, increased traffic and strains on first responders, hospitals and roads related to the eclipse. Travis County Judge Andy Brown issued the declaration.
Several other cities/counties in the area have also done similar. Many schools will be closed to keep buses off of the roads.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Who are you renting from to get that rate? My corporate rate, which I can use for personal travel as well, is $29/day (plus tax) for a mid-size at Hertz. The all-in rate is usually $35-40/day, depending on airport fees (and the weekly rate is $180). There's a few exceptions, such as NYC, but that rate is even solid for Hawaii. I'd suggest you check some of the rental car forums and/or use Autoslash for something better.

Where is your hotel? The closer you get to Waco (peak) the more expensive the properties will be, if they even have rooms. There are several properties in Round Rock and Georgetown that still have mostly normal rates (possibly Temple as well).

I was home for the eclipse in October, and it was pretty wild. We weren't in the peak area (I think it was Waco for that one too), but it was enough to know what was happening.
I am coming to Texas for the solar eclipse. I booked at a hotel in Waco from Sat. 04.06 to Tuesday 04.09.24
It's a Hampton Inn @ about $400 per night. I made the reservation for the hotel over a month ago. Prices have gone up since then.

Baylor University has an observatory and is having a big festival that day. I am from Los Angeles, our hometown observatory at Griffith Park
is taking a group to Baylor. I am pretty excited. I had planned to fly into to DFW and drive to Waco. It looks to be about 90 miles.
Now I am wondering if flying into Houston may be better. Dallas to Waco & Houston to Waco are of similar distance.
I note that Houston also has 2 airports. What would be the better drive? Any advice would be much appreciated!!
Patricia
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:26 pm

Have a good trip. I am also from So. Cal and will be watching the eclipse from Waco, Baylor University is having a big event.
What airline are you flying?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Starprincess
I am coming to Texas for the solar eclipse. I booked at a hotel in Waco from Sat. 04.06 to Tuesday 04.09.24
It's a Hampton Inn @ about $400 per night. I made the reservation for the hotel over a month ago. Prices have gone up since then.
I'm really surprised that there were rooms left a month ago; from what I heard most hotels and other places to stay in Waco were booked up by last September.

There are still hotels in the Round Rock / Cedar Park area that are in the $200-300/night range for those dates. The normal rates for those places would be about half that.
The Hampton Inn in Georgetown, TX is listed at $522/night, which is insane.

I'm glad that you're staying until Tuesday. Where are you flying to? By then, the roads should be mostly back to normal, although the I-35 between Austin and Dallas is almost always a mess.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I have a friend ask me where to go, but I said I couldn't commit anywhere without knowing the weather.

However, I just realized one important thing: In search of being closer to the centerline or better weather, and if you're presented a 20-mile state highway drive versus a 100-mile interstate drive, use the interstate! (This will be mainly in the SA-Aus-DFW corridor, I-35 and I-45.) Less chance of congestion, better food and bathroom options!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I have a friend ask me where to go, but I said I couldn't commit anywhere without knowing the weather.

However, I just realized one important thing: In search of being closer to the centerline or better weather, and if you're presented a 20-mile state highway drive versus a 100-mile interstate drive, use the interstate! (This will be mainly in the SA-Aus-DFW corridor, I-35 and I-45.) Less chance of congestion, better food and bathroom options!
This may be the first time in history that the words "SA-Aus-DFW corridor, I-35" and "Less chance of congestion" have been used in the same sentence.
SAT Lawyer, aztimm and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Starprincess
Have a good trip. I am also from So. Cal and will be watching the eclipse from Waco, Baylor University is having a big event.
What airline are you flying?
it’s all about flight tickets + rental car prices. Find the best deal.

Hobby is mainly southwest airport. I think delta has some flights. IAH has other carriers.

the issue will be driving out of the area right after the eclipse Monday afternoon.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by HkCaGu

interstates are going to be the worst heading out. Most know the interstate routes.

the main routes heading outside the totality band will be the worst heading out right after the eclipse.

the only way of certainty is when you are about 72 hrs before the eclipse.

buffalo, Rochester Cleveland , indy, Dallas are airports inside totality. You could book differrnt airlines flights to different cities hitting eclipse time.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
San Antonio airport is the exact line in San Antonio where the line of totality starts in the city, so that’s also an airport option.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:26 pm
jmw

Who is so worried about traffic that they are going to stay put even if clouds are forecasted? I can leave Dallas for a less cloudy area at 2am, but I'm afraid going back may take 8-12 hours regardless of taking Interstate-35 which parallels inside the totality zone or side roads. We have plans Monday night in Dallas.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:51 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Sweetheart are venturing to Alvarado, TX for the eclipse. I joke that we are driving 4-days (round trip) for 4-minutes of totality.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
watching eclipse from dfw

Not an AA question, but you guys might know something about DFW. I have flights to and from DFW on eclipse day (arr. 10:30 dep 5:00). I have a car reserved (off site, but I can return it to DFW), but I'm wondering if I should just stay in the airport. If I were to do that, any suggestions on best place to view the eclipse?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.