Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Eclipse - Texas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:29 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by hobo13
We should have a FT Eclipse DO on the top level of the parking garage!
That is not a good idea, as that event will likely be overshadowed by something else...
AZ_MISMAN, aztimm and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Sweetheart are venturing to Alvarado, TX for the eclipse. I joke that we are driving 4-days (round trip) for 4-minutes of totality.
We chose Alvarado for it's location. We have a hotel for the nights of 4/7 & 4/8, so we should be able to just step outside without having to deal with a bunch of traffic. Now... the *day before and after* traffic, that may be a different story.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:59 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Is there a good place at/near Love Field to view the eclipse? I'm flying out of DAL at 4:48PM and intend to use only DART to move around on eclipse day. Looking on Google Maps it seems there is some sort of public park right next to the airport?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Canarsie
That is not a good idea, as that event will likely be overshadowed by something else...
Haha, I see what you did there.

Well, I'm probably arriving around 9am, without a lot to do until the main event. Seems others are in the same boat. That was kind of my point.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
We have DFW booked (arrive 8 AM, depart 430pm), IAH booked (with a drive to AUS / SAT -- bah), and CLE booked. All refundable. As long as the weather looks decent, my guess is that we'll go to DFW.

We should have a FT Eclipse DO on the top level of the parking garage!
I'd try to stay close to an airport so you don't have to do too much driving.

The US 290 between Austin and Houston can be a chore on a good day...I can't imagine driving it after the eclipse. Especially since Houston is outside of the zone, I'd imagine we'll get quite a few people driving over to experience it (and probably quite a few driving I-45 between DFW and Houston).

Our house backs up to a large county park, and I'm planning to just stay home. One of my dogs seems to know to go to bed at a certain time, I'm curious if she will want to when this is going on. The deer and other animals tend to come out at dusk, so maybe I'll get to see some of that too.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by aau
Is there a good place at/near Love Field to view the eclipse? I'm flying out of DAL at 4:48PM and intend to use only DART to move around on eclipse day. Looking on Google Maps it seems there is some sort of public park right next to the airport?
Bachman Lake Park borders the airport, but there's no access. The only exit from Love Field is out the opposite side to Mockingbird Ln, which makes it about a 4 mile walk. I guess take the airport shuttle to the DART station, then you can ride from there to Bachman or another park.
aau likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamieca...h=1bc14bbf43d7

small adjustments have come out thst can adjust the edges by about 1,000 ft or so in being inside vs outside totality.

thus can affect fringe locations with viewing parties.

for example montreal olympic stadium which appeared to be just inside is now just outside.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
If the current forecast holds, and it's admittedly still early, I doubt I'll be coming to Texas after all.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
If the current forecast holds, and it's admittedly still early, I doubt I'll be coming to Texas after all.
I bought UA LAX-IAH. Now looking at BOS <$200 fare diff. Plenty of rooms and cars.

Last edited by aztimm; Apr 1, 2024 at 1:55 pm Reason: edited post when I meant to reply to it.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
If you book a flight on say Saturday to a place like dc that is far enough outside totality to not have a car shortage/ high rates like Louisville, cincinati, pittsburg, Detroit, etc, but it gives you a day+ to drive into totality area with a better idea.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I bought UA LAX-IAH. Now looking at BOS <$200 fare diff. Plenty of rooms and cars.

Probably for the best. Houston is outside of the area for the eclipse; I'm sure you'll get a dusk-type effect, but definitely not a total eclipse. The roads between Houston and areas with the total eclipse will be bumper-to-bumper. Heck, US-290 between Houston and Austin is like that most weekends anyway.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by aztimm
Probably for the best. Houston is outside of the area for the eclipse; I'm sure you'll get a dusk-type effect, but definitely not a total eclipse. The roads between Houston and areas with the total eclipse will be bumper-to-bumper. Heck, US-290 between Houston and Austin is like that most weekends anyway.
I bought IAH but wasn't staying there. SAT and AUS were already double the price when I bought in late Dec. Cars were scarce at SAT and AUS but were widely available at IAH.

Now I changed to BOS for $160 and can't change back to Texas without paying a lot more.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:31 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Most of Texas and northeast into the Mississippi valley is looking like a bust in terms of weather for Monday. Even Great Lakes is looking dicey. I might change plans to somewhere in OH and drive around but probably will cancel altogether.
gudugan likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I bought IAH but wasn't staying there. SAT and AUS were already double the price when I bought in late Dec. Cars were scarce at SAT and AUS but were widely available at IAH.

Now I changed to BOS for $160 and can't change back to Texas without paying a lot more.
I have flights to DFW. Was planning to watch from near DFW. If the forecast shows a mostly cloud-free area within driving distance (southern IL/IN), then I'll drive to wherever it's clear. I also bought a fully refundable flight to BOS on the afternoon of 4/7; this is the contingency plan in case the weather does not cooperate all the way past Indiana. Would probably watch from VT or ME which are showing clear forecasts right now but of course that could change. That area costs about a full minute of totality so it's not something I want to do unless it's absolutely necessary (but it's better to see a 3 minute, 20 second eclipse than to miss a 4 minute, 20 second eclipse!). There also aren't very many roads along the path of totality for escaping clouds so if I go up there I'd better be darn sure that it's going to be clear.
HkCaGu and gudugan like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by swag
This may be the first time in history that the words "SA-Aus-DFW corridor, I-35" and "Less chance of congestion" have been used in the same sentence.
I don't know about that. It took me nine hours to drive the 102 miles from Glendo to Cheyenne Wyoming on I-25 after the last one. Rest stops were backed up for miles and with no bushes or trees in sight, poor old ladies were squatting behind car doors for bathrooms. Men had it a little easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.