Last edit by: aztimm
AUS / Austin-Bergstrom International Airport

AA Forum: AUS-Bergstrom Internation Airport thread

BA Forum: Thread about AUS-LHR Service

Hertz at AUS: Austin Bergstrom Airport

Valet Parking at Austin-Bergstrom

AUS Ready for 747 Charters

International Arrivals at AUS

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

AUS Airport General Questions [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by aztimm
Yes, unfortunately everyone from the BA flight gets funneled through CBP (if you have Global Entry just use a kiosk, then go to an agent), then you have to exit. You'll have to keep walking down past baggage claim for a bit, then take the escalators up to re-clear security. With GE and Clear, it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. There is a surprisingly amount of walking involved from the aircraft to the CBP / baggage claim area.

If you are flying BA in a premium cabin (business or F), you should get access to the AA lounge. But otherwise, you won't have lounge access. I'd recommend going to the outside viewing area (follow signs for the DL lounge, it is right next to it), and hang out there, maybe pick up something to eat/drink before heading out.
Outside viewing area is closed and becoming a Chase Sapphire Lounge

Chase Sapphire Terrace Coming to Austin

Chase will be opening a new Sapphire Terrace on March 20, 2023. The Sapphire Terrace will be different from a traditional lounge as the majority of the space will be outdoors, taking over the deck that was previously open to the public. The space is expected to have complimentary local alcoholic beverages, non-alcoholic drinks, grab and go food, as well as games like shuffleboard. It is expected to be open from 10:00a-8:00p daily. The Sapphire Terrace will be located between Gates 1 and 2, near the entrance to the Delta Sky Club.
aztimm likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by blitzen
Thanks. I might just replace the AA AUS-PHX with a Southwest AUS-PHX cutting the connection time down to 2h (sounds that it is still plenty of time). If I remember the terminal is relatively small so Southwest and AA gates are all close to each other.
Everything is close together. But if you are doing this trip next Monday, it will be very crowded with Spring Break travelers. Well every time I've been at AUS in the past 2 years I've been shocked how busy it is, even in the middle of the day. Just walking between 2 nearby gates takes longer than it should with all of the people in the way.

AA and WN both arrive at T4 at PHX, but they use different concourses (just so you know).
blitzen likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Outside viewing area is closed and becoming a Chase Sapphire Lounge

Chase Sapphire Terrace Coming to Austin
Wow, that's really a shame. The one great free thing at AUS to escape the crowds, that has only been around a short time...is now disappearing. I can't say that I'm surprised though. At least I got to experience it once.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Wow, that's really a shame. The one great free thing at AUS to escape the crowds, that has only been around a short time...is now disappearing. I can't say that I'm surprised though. At least I got to experience it once.
I was surprised too. The airport tweeted a few days ago that something was happening with the space, but this wasn't what I was expecting
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:07 pm

Austin: Is the XpresSpa still open near Admiral's Club?

Is the XpresSpa still open on the Mezzanine level in the Austin airport?

The one near the Admiral's Club and United's club?

I believe there are also ones at Gate 22 and 16.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:01 am

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
On a previous ex-AUS trip I was held up for 90min in PreCheck thanks to the new X-ray scanners. Prior to that it had never been more than 5-10min at the midway security checkpoint for a midday flight. Have security delays reverted back to normal, are they still crazy long, or something in-between?
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DaxOmni
On a previous ex-AUS trip I was held up for 90min in PreCheck thanks to the new X-ray scanners. Prior to that it had never been more than 5-10min at the midway security checkpoint for a midday flight. Have security delays reverted back to normal, are they still crazy long, or something in-between?
At least in June, if you picked the right pre-check area, you could still avoid the new scanners. Not sure if those new scanners are now ubiquitous at all AUS pre-check stations.

David
DaxOmni likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaxOmni
Originally Posted by DELee
At least in June, if you picked the right pre-check area, you could still avoid the new scanners. Not sure if those new scanners are now ubiquitous at all AUS pre-check stations.

David
The last time I flew from AUS (about 2 weeks ago), the new scanners were at all of the checkpoints. It seemed to move somewhat faster than the month before (early July), when they were brand new. And they aren't just at AUS, I flew out of GRK in late July, and yes they had them there too (since it is so small the agents said they often get asked to test things).

Of course if your flight is before 9am, just plan for security to be a mess, and if it isn't count it as a blessing. With all of the ~5am flights out of AUS, I don't understand why security doesn't open until 4am (well I'm sure it is connected to money).
DaxOmni likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
the reviews for Avis and hertz at the airport are really bad (even compared to other locations), are they true in flyertalkers opinnions? Is there a rental agency that is good by comparison? have a short biz trip to Austin coming up next month
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:49 am

The last time I flew from AUS (about 2 weeks ago), the new scanners were at all of the checkpoints.
They are and I get stopped for secondary screening every-single-time with those new scanners. The security guys bark at you to keep everything in your bag(s) and I even said "yes, but from history (here at AUS) it's wise to remove some bits" and was told "keep everything in your bag, sir!". So, I did, and guess what, the bag is pushed through for a secondary check.

I then get told "it's because you have too many items close together in your bag!". You couldn't make it up.

I find security at AUS quicker down the area where Delta has check-in, but far slower where AA check-in is located.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by RedPanda5
the reviews for Avis and hertz at the airport are really bad (even compared to other locations), are they true in flyertalkers opinnions? Is there a rental agency that is good by comparison? have a short biz trip to Austin coming up next month
Bad. I was one of those who gave a bad review on Google! I'm in the President's Club and at AUS it seems to make no difference. Bizarrely it's quicker at AUS if you have no Avis loyalty as you go downstairs to the general pickup area to sort your car, whereas at AUS Preferred Budget and Avis customers are sent upstairs to a tiny office where there's a single large lady serving who works so slowly you wonder what she's doing most of the time. She has a bad habit of wandering out to see what cars are available and spends minutes doing that.

I've often waited 45 minutes at the Preferred unit as they are so slow. I often also hear of people who go to their pre-assigned bay to find no car and ask what should they do.....to be told "sir, join the back of the (long) queue like everyone else!" so that also seems a common occurrence, too. Happened to me, once.

Twice no cars were available. When I was there in January I was asked if I wanted a van as there were no cars. My advice at AUS is do not bother with any premium cars as you often end up with a regular SUV anyhow and one that's been rushed through and not fully cleaned properly. I never get the car category I've booked and I've picked up a car about 6 times from AUS in the last 18 months.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:06 pm

Go with National and just take any car from the aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.